We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Magic in the Style of Lennart Green? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Garrett
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
258 Posts

Profile of Garrett
One of my favorite magicians is Lennart Green. I love the way he disarms and misdirects by bumbling around, dropping cards all over, etc. If you've never seen him perform before, do yourself a favor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_oa8m5Oq00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjKXCl6ceZ0

Now, here's my question: Would it be possible to adapt Lennart's style for coin magic? If so, how could you do it? What would it look like? Or is coin magic such that a "sloppy" and bumbling style like Lennart's simply wouldn't work?
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I also love Lennart and his style - his is quite unique among magicians. I think that certain aspects of his style would be perfectly applicable to coin work when done with the right effects/routines, in the right time and place. Overall, the 'bumbling' bits may work against sleights/moves/effects with coins because there, you are more concerned with keeping them in your hands while working, unless you are handing something out for examination.

To sum it up, as far as fumbling is concerned, I think it is much more believable to an audience that one could/would fumble or stumble with cards but not with coins. Does that make sense?

Just my thoughts?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
I have tried that approach...

Example of doing a roll down and having a coin drop...then doing another roll out and still having four coins..drop a coin and yes do the roll out and still having 4 coins... ad nauseum...

It works well in real time...I tried it in a local magic contest...guess my acting was too good... a judge wrote that I needed to get more control of my coins.

Harris
palms of aluminum foil..for a lighter touch in coin magic
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jacques
View Profile
Loyal user
North
211 Posts

Profile of Jacques
In his MasterFile DVD, Lennart Green has a very good coin routine, inpired by Slydini. He's not dropping coins as much as his cards but his handling fits his usual style. You don't suspect manipulations, yet coins passes from here to there as if he didn't really control them. Very deceptive.
Garrett
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
258 Posts

Profile of Garrett
Quote:
On 2011-08-24 10:06, Jacques wrote:
In his MasterFile DVD, Lennart Green has a very good coin routine, inpired by Slydini. He's not dropping coins as much as his cards but his handling fits his usual style. You don't suspect manipulations, yet coins passes from here to there as if he didn't really control them. Very deceptive.


Is there a performance video of that online?
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-08-24 10:04, Harris wrote:
I have tried that approach...

Example of doing a roll down and having a coin drop...then doing another roll out and still having four coins..drop a coin and yes do the roll out and still having 4 coins... ad nauseum...

It works well in real time...I tried it in a local magic contest...guess my acting was too good... a judge wrote that I needed to get more control of my coins.

Harris
palms of aluminum foil..for a lighter touch in coin magic


Honestly (and I am not being sarcastic here) some judges do not know their butt from a hole in the ground. I used to do that same thing, but I did mine a la Cardini. I would let the lower-most coin drop into a chromed chalice and looked confused, then roll down another. Drop the second-to-the bottom coin into the chalice, look baffled and so on. BUT, each time I did the roll-down to fill in the empty spots, I looked even further confused as to where they keep coming from.

Jeff McBride also does a roll-down flourish that way, where the coins fall and then re-appear in position. Lance Burton does the same thing but with cards. He makes four or five cards vanish, then reproduces them one by one, placing each into the fanned deck in the other hand, outjogged. The last card he puts in falls to the ground, so he produces another from his empty hand to replace it.
Jacques
View Profile
Loyal user
North
211 Posts

Profile of Jacques
[quote]On 2011-08-24 10:32, Garrett wrote:
Quote:
Is there a performance video of that online?


Unfortunatly, I didn't find any video on line.

As for dropping coins in a roll down, I don't think that match the presentation style we are talking about. Cardini simulate lack of control over what's happening, but he still show dexterity. On the other hand, Green simulate chaos, he doesn't simply drop a card now and then, he gives the impression that he is very bad at handling cards and mixing them, half of the deck falls and everything is messed up, apparently. Then, after chaos, everything comes in order, colors and suits...
It wouldn't be the same with coins since there's no predetermined order as in a deck of cards. Nevertheless, the apparent lack of sleight and ability could be build in a routine. His "Coins Thru Table" is close to that.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-08-24 16:30, Jacques wrote:
As for dropping coins in a roll down, I don't think that match the presentation style we are talking about. Cardini simulate lack of control over what's happening, but he still show dexterity. On the other hand, Green simulate chaos, he doesn't simply drop a card now and then, he gives the impression that he is very bad at handling cards and mixing them, half of the deck falls and everything is messed up, apparently. Then, after chaos, everything comes in order, colors and suits...
It wouldn't be the same with coins since there's no predetermined order as in a deck of cards. Nevertheless, the apparent lack of sleight and ability could be build in a routine. His "Coins Thru Table" is close to that.


I realize that it does not the style of Lennart Green, which is why I said "a la Cardini." By that, I also meant that it was performed the same way he did with his cards, with that same look of having no control over what happens, but still displaying skill.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Magic in the Style of Lennart Green? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL