The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Your funniest experiences with hypnosis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Was not an attempt to belittle anyone, simply just that I don't believe him.

How many times do we see someone come on here and say they've done this or that, or hypnotized a friend to do this or that and you know it's more than likely not real. They aren't a hypnotist or they've simply done some very elementary mind trick or suggestibility test and think they have hypnotized someone, or worse yet that they are a hypnotist? It happens practically weekly here.

I simply stated I didn't buy it. Then since he is new here and after reviewing all of his recent posts, many of which are a few words, brief comments, or actual non-content solely in an effort to get 50 post quickly, I thought I'd ask about his level of experience and acquired training.

This also combined with his obvious beginner questions made me curious. If he's going to come in here chime in and start threads asking us to give him our information, I'd like to know a it about him.

I see nothing belittling about this.

He's also done the same in the mentalist forum calling such pros as Banachek boring and something to the effect of uninspiring. I believe he's tangled horns with Cassidy also.

His comments regarding things also see very premature, saying what is good and what isn't, again coming from a seemingly beginner, or at least a young person with a young person's perspective.

You guys can believe it if you want to, and offer him the goods he's asking for, but to me it sounds too much likes another person attempting to use this forum as their training.

Anyone who's been around hypnosis for even a little while doesn't ask these questions and isn't impressed with "making a friend believe his hat is mine" if it were true. Any even bad performance of hypnosis offers far more funny, interesting and amazing things than something like this.

And as MP said, references to YouTube are almost always an indicator of a newbie and someone that is impressed with most of that beginner level content and bad hypnosis.

Too bad you don't seem to understand. This is why stage hypnosis and the art of hypnosis is heading where it is.

So all of this combined made me simply want to learn more about him.

Also for as much as he's been trying to chime in here, I find it funny that he's not answered my questions or taking so long to reply. If he truly wants to fit in here and us to share with him, I see no reason why this would be an unusual request. He's asking us to share, I'm just asking the same.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Actually I don't think its an attempt to be little the poster but to be little the action. This isn't a question about quality. It really is a question about using hypnosis in a way that's potentially harmful. I understand Mindpro's frustration because in the end this will affect all of us. Even poor quality training should teach you how to terminate trance properly and that ot should be done after every session. But that is only one of many potential problems out there. And Its not becuase of training mostly. its because of this new wave of cheap products promting these activities.

Not that long ago most schools of hypnosis wouldn't teach anyone under 25 because they felt they needed real world experience before they could use hypnosis effectively.

Now kids at school are getting their hands on these "products" and are being encouraged to do it in the playground. Its a sad development based on the fact its so easy and cheap to market online and the greed of a few people who really don't care who gets hold of the information which in many cases is substandard.

Hypnosis is losing its self respect (even more). I also see it in mentalism where there is a new trend starting towards selling effects "advertised" or performed programmes like Pen & Teller. With mentalists selling their soul for a few mins of fame. Then flogging their whole routines immediately after.

Barry & Stuart even had an exposure show in the Edinburgh Festival this year where they exposed a whole hours worth of material and made jibes about hypnosis just being a load of "****".

Obviously trying to jump on the trend started by P&T to get the attention of some tv producer who will hopefully be in the audience. The general message these days coming from the new bred of performers is "success for me at any price **** everybody else".

Sadly its the way its going. Values have changed the desparate money grabbing has started and it seems no one really cares about the now old values around these two performance arts.

I was at the cinema the other night and came home thinking the world would be a better place if the apes really did take over..
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
This forum needs a "Like" button
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
Fair comments both of you. May have backed the underdog a little too quickly there.

Still think that some of you underestimate the power that 'simple suggestibility' stuff has on an audience. Don't forget, not all of us are focused on the traditional stage model of hypnosis.

Not all the 'modern' breed are irresponsible idiots either. Let's separate the people from the action. Reg Blackwood (and others) prove that street hypnosis itself is not the problem... Just SOME of the PEOPLE doing it.

Respectfully

James
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Agreed.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Iam not really talking about stage Im talkimng about hypnosis in general. I would rathe4 separate the idiots from the material but that's not going to happpen anytime soon. Its much easier making a name selling substandard stuff than it is to sell tickets and get by on talent. Its the path of least resistance and it seems there is no shortage of those wanting to sell to and encourage everybody.

The vast majority who buiy these products could never be described as performers. And in most cases neither can those selling it.
rickhypno
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of rickhypno
My father is my teacher, we practice everyday, is very fun . such a sour place here, full of aggressive opinions.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
I actually think it's a "fair dinkum" question to ask.
Anyone posting comments and questions on the Penny forum gets asked the same kind of thing.
In this case, the OP was talking about having installed a PHS with no real benefit to the subject, just some mild amusement for the hypnotist.
Isn't anybody else curious to know what kind of training makes you 1)That good at the same time as making you 2)That bad?
Mine and James' examples are funny in the context of a stage show with consenting adults.

But, transfer either of our examples into the context of a classroom of teenagers and you'd have all kinds of issues.

It's not only a question of context but also one of ethics.

Just my thoughts.

Quote:
On 2011-08-25 14:29, Mindpro wrote:
Sure ya did...

How long have you been doing hypnosis? What training did you receive?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 14:52, rickhypno wrote:
My father is my teacher, we practice everyday, is very fun . such a sour place here, full of aggressive opinions.

Im sorry you don't like the opinions on here. But just go on leaving suggestions in people's minds. One day you might be really sorry. You think that's funny then don't listen just go ahead and **** someone up. If you don't like it here don't ask for any help just keep practicing on your dad. Just leave suggestions in heads every day and most likely the other things you are doing wrong just a matter of time.

As for where he got the training? " his friend thinks his hat belongs to him?" Sounds a bit like a lame street skit I wonder who that could be?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Again just check this out and look at the comments under the video. I think we have a clue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juZxScoPKeE&feature=related
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Anything you post publicly on the Internet is open to be criticized. If you are going to make your thoughts public by boasting online about something you've achieved, then one lesson you need to learn is to take it on the chin.
I get a lot of haters too but that is all part of making what you do public.

The important thing is though, people here aren't being critical just for the sake of it.
There are important reasons why your long term PHS (post hypnotic suggestion) wasn't a very good idea.

Not speaking about you specifically, but a response of "Wow. Really? I never knew that. I'll fix it immediately and never do that kind of thing again. Thanks. Sounds like I had a lucky escape!" would have got a very different reaction and even got some respect. But I find it worrying how we hardly ever see that kind of response to advice. Just a whole lot of youthful arrogance.

People's minds are a very delicate area to make your playground and those of us who have been doing it for a while appear to knowingly and regularly dance on a very sharp knife edge. It's partly that edginess which makes it so entertaining. But the difference is, we know how to deal with and (better) prevent any likely issues.

Listen.

Quote:
On 2011-08-26 14:52, rickhypno wrote:
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 15:16, mindpunisher wrote:
Again just check this out and look at the comments under the video. I think we have a clue...

This is so sad that this is what hypnosis has come to - a simple thing anyone can do.

Look at the comments praising and idolizing him and this. The problem is it's only a short matter of time before these start making headlines creating physical and emotional damage, and lawsuits. Then all of us will have to pay for this stupid, irresponsible use by non-trained and/or improperly trained idiots and immature kids.

These were my exact reasons for asking the questions I did, which as far as I'm concerned have still not been answered adequately and completely. "My dad teaches me" is an inadequate answer, and the others have yet to be answered. The fact that he's on here posting comments as if he is a hypnotist is wrong. I have much more respect for those that at east come on here saying they think it's the coolest thing ever and how do I learn? At they are being straight and not pretending to be something they're not. They also have yet to try to "do" hypnosis on friends (another sign of an amateur) and yet to do any potential risk or damage. Again, this was my reason for asking about his level of experience and amount and qualification of his training. Reading a book, viewing a DVD or learning some cool tricks from dad is not proper hypnosis training.

What's even worse is even after my explanation and similar concerns from others here, he still isn't getting it. Somehow these guys seem to see themselves on the same levels of the pros here. I don't get it.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
>>>>>I get a lot of haters too but that is all part of making what you do public.<<<< that's funny I get nothing but love?

Mindpro I have been gutted for the last couple of years watching this unfold. Now its at the point of which I feared. One or two talentless hacks have created this situation because frankly they couldn't make a name any other way. They package and sell to the lowest common denominator.

Like I said this attitude of "sell-out because making at as a performer is tough" is going right across the board. Its hurting mentalism too. Sad but expected. And its going to get worse.
magic.mind
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of magic.mind
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 17:32, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 15:16, mindpunisher wrote:

This is so sad that this is what hypnosis has come to - a simple thing anyone can do.

Of course that that´s the goal of hypnosis... or you believe that you are a superhero that has superpowers? Hypnosis is a tool for everyone, not something to feed your selfish attitude.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
No, I have to disagree with you, at least as far as performance hypnosis goes. As a clinical tool or a self-ability tool yes, most everyone can benefit from hypnosis. That is not was was being referred to, and not what this forum is about or for.

What many young performers and newbies seem to fail to understand is the longtime, long-standing mystique that went along with being a performing hypnotist. I'm not talking about ego or as Ormond put "God-like Syndrome" or pretending to be a "Superhero" with "Superpowers". I'm talking about a privileged and respected professional in a honored rare profession.

I am talking about the high esteem and prestige that went along with the mystique of being a professional stage hypnotist. They were a rare breed, and seeing a stage hypnosis show live was a unique and rare experience. As one retiring Principal at a school I performed at put it "attending and witnessing your first hypnosis show was a true right of passage". When retiring the district wanted to throw him a retirement party for his 50 years of service. He specifically said no do not have a party for himself, but rather asked then to take the money you would spend on a party and hire that Stage Hypnotist we saw on Oprah (me). He believed attending our first hypnosis show was a right of passage that will be remembered for a lifetime. I agree. Many would agree. Moreso than your first magic show or circus, as it was much more of a rare ocurrance, reserved only for television, Las Vegas, a once a year state fair, or very special event. Like your first kiss or sex, you will never forget your first hypnosis show. (like your first kiss or sex, hopefully it was a good experience).

It has nothing to do with "feeding your selfish attitude". You obviously do not get it as many newer members here from within the last five years or so don't either.

The only performance hypnosis was Stage Hypnosis. And Stage Hypnotists were a rare, coveted and respected breed. They carried on the intrigue and mystique of this amazing ability that was rarely understood.

Don't try to tell me this is and old mentality and that it doesn't still happen like this as it does. I still have lines of people waiting to meet me, get a photo with me or an autograph for an hour or more after each performance. They wait in line to purchase a DVD of the amazing show the just experienced. A performance of sight, sound, emotion and uncontrollable laughter. It does still exist, but as several here have pointed out the street hypnosis movement and the selling out on the internet and YouTube is diminishing this to something similar to a bar trick that anyone can learn (even though they really can't or don't, but they learn a brief resemblance of something that they confuse for the real thing and then somehow believe they are a hypnotist.)

This is not the goal of hypnosis. It is to entertain completely with this most unique art and science, that should not be accessible to everyone. The romance is being removed by the current blatant "look at me what I can do" movement. If anything the shallow comment you made about it being for everyone is creating more of this selfish superpower attitude moreso than anything else. As I said you are quite wrong.

Yes, I still have respect for the art of hypnosis and the true value of what really being an entertainer is all about.

Again nothing like worldly advice and comments from someone that's only been a member here for a few weeks. Just jump right in and share your ignorance.

Before you go commenting on something it helps if you have an idea or know who or what you are talking about.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Very good post Mindpro, thanks.

Decomposed
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
Excellent point Mindpro and I'm sure you'd agree also that this is an excellent forum for new people to seek advice and ask questions and that some may even share ideas the more veteran among us would find enlightening too
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I think Mindpro said it shouldn't be so accessable. I think forums like this are part of the problem. About 95% of those that come on here or buy a crappy product wouldn't have taken the time and trouble to "dabble" before the internet. This form and forums like it were once useful. now they are a huge part of the problem.

Why not just show everyone how to do mentalism and teach them how to make their friends forget their names?

These forums will be and are part of the continuing downfall. Without them street hypnotism kids ****ing up people's minds wouldn't exist.
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
What's wrong with making someone forget their name? I often do it in my act and it goes down a storm. In fact, for many it is seen as more impressive when done in a magical context.. Especially without the classic an often lengthy set up process of a stage hypnosis act.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
In your act yes....but not every teenage spotty kid on youtube.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Your funniest experiences with hypnosis (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL