The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Why ACAAN is a bad trick (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..19~20~21 [Next]
Louis Lu
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Louis Lu
Ekgdoc, great example to show Byrnes is wrong.
Tosca
View Profile
New user
Hettimorth Tentenchuihnn, RGA
91 Posts

Profile of Tosca
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 14:27, slyhand wrote:
On another note, I just received a PM from Byrnes titled "you're dumb". He writes "watch, don't speak". Nice guy this R.E. Byrnes.

Similar here. He knows it's game over. Smile
Louis Lu
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Louis Lu
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 14:27, R.E. Byrnes wrote:
I think you might want to reconsider your little experiment. Guessing the card is one probability, the number a second, independent one.

Guessing the card isn't part of ACAAN.
Tosca
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Tosca
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 14:29, Louis Lu wrote:
Ekgdoc, great example to show Byrnes is wrong.

Louis - it is the same as my previous example (but he didn't get that either):

Quote:
On 2011-08-26 13:10, Tosca wrote:
Set up each of 52 deck of cards in this order, from the top:

Ace to king of clubs
Ace to king of hearts
Ace to king of spades
Ace to king of diamonds

Leave deck 1 like that. Now, in deck 2, displace 1 card from top to bottom. In deck 3, displace 2 cards from top to bottom... and so on. In deck 52, displace 51 cards from top to bottom.

Now have someone name any card and any number from 1 to 52. It is guaranteed that one of your decks will have that card at that position.

If you don't see it - get 52 decks and do it.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"Guessing the card isn't part of ACAAN."

Choosing it is -- one of three in your example. Then another one of three when the number is selected. The are the ssame thing. There is no difference between how the card is selected and how the number is selected. Each depends on the other.

Perhaps someone authoritative will weigh in on this and settle it.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
R.E. Byrnes - maybe you are a good magician - but you are a lousy mathematician...
Lakewood, Ohio
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
The easiest way to describe it is that you need 2704 predictions which are all equally likely to be needed. A deck of cards is not a single prediction. It covers 52 predictions which is 1/52 of all possible 2704 outcomes.

/Tomas
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Thought it was established that it's 1 in 52 each time. Guess not.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
ekgdoc
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of ekgdoc
I should point out that using the JQK deck, there are 9 possible number/card combinations (1J, 1Q, 1K, 2J, 2Q, 2K, 3J, 3Q, 3K). But the magician only needs 3 decks to account for these 9 possible combinations.

Dsvid M.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"The easiest way to describe it is that you need 2704 predictions which are all equally likely to be needed. A deck of cards is not a single prediction. It covers 52 predictions which is 1/52 of all possible 2704 outcomes."

if you were just asking them to pick a deck. but you're not. you're asking them, first, to pick a card. then, a number, effectively a second card from a second deck.
Tosca
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Tosca
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 14:33, TomasB wrote:
The easiest way to describe it is that you need 2704 predictions which are all equally likely to be needed. A deck of cards is not a single prediction. It covers 52 predictions which is 1/52 of all possible 2704 outcomes.

/Tomas

Nice angle.
Louis Lu
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Louis Lu
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 14:35, ekgdoc wrote:
I should point out that using the JQK deck, there are 9 possible number/card combinations (1J, 1Q, 1K, 2J, 2Q, 2K, 3J, 3Q, 3K). But the magician only needs 3 decks to account for these 9 possible combinations.

Dsvid M.

Make it easier. How about a two card deck? Red and black. Now is it obvious that 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4 is incorrect? The correct probability is 1/2.
Tosca
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Tosca
Again - I've already given that example:

Quote:
On 2011-08-26 12:35, Tosca wrote:
Nope - this is about basic, simple maths - that's all. And you clearly don't understand it. Nothing to do with intuition or confidence or whatever.

Here's another illustration that may help you:

Let's pare down the deck to just two cards, labelled A and B. And have two such decks (1 and 2).

Pick a card from deck 1, then pick a card from deck 2. Here are all the possible outcomes:

A and A
A and B
B and A
B and B

That's 4 possible combinations, 2 of which are of matching cards.

So you have a 2 in 4 chance of getting a match, which is a chance of 1 in 2. This is a chance of "1 in <the number of cards in the deck>".

Try it for yourself with decks of three cards each (A, B and C) and you'll see that the probability of a match is... 1 in 3!

With decks of 52 cards each, you'll see that the probability of a match is... yes, that's right... 1 in 52.
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Burnes,

Picking a deck; that is a great idea to advance the plot:

A red, green and blue deck is on the table. They pick a deck, a card and a number.

We can claim to the spectators that the probability of succeeding is 1/8112 but of course it is still 1/52.

/Tomas
magic.mind
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of magic.mind
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 14:33, TomasB wrote:

/Tomas

check this version http://amirasacaan.blogspot.com/
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 14:41, Louis Lu wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 14:35, ekgdoc wrote:

Dsvid M.

Make it easier. How about a two card deck? Red and black. Now is it obvious that 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4 is incorrect? The correct probability is 1/2.

I can't see any come back to that!
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"Make it easier. How about a two card deck? Red and black. Now is it obvious that 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4 is incorrect? The correct probability is 1/2."

No; that is in fact identical to flipping two coins, where two consecutive heads is 1/4, but the second one -- after the first one has already been determined to be heads -- is in fact 1/2. but that's not the whole event; it's just one of the two.

we're just going to continue to talk in circles unless someone who we both regard as authoritative offers a conclusion. I've asked someone who I think would qualify, but have no idea if he will be willing. in any even, I consider the matter submitted. my view is that there are two independent probabilities. the alternate view is that the first selection is a given. here's hoping we'll get that closure.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"Make it easier. How about a two card deck? Red and black. Now is it obvious that 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4 is incorrect? The correct probability is 1/2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't see any come back to that! "

it's just like the erroneously structured three-deck example above. to get both the color and position, you have to make two, independent selections. red or black, 1 or 2. if you can't see how that is the same thing as flipping a coin twice, there are lots of websites that explain binary probatilities.
Tosca
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Tosca
We don't need to appeal to a third ('authoritative') person to resolve this. Maths itself is the authority.
iceblade
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of iceblade
Must... fight... it... Smile
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 14:56, Tosca wrote:
We don't need to appeal to a third ('authoritative') person to resolve this. Maths itself is the authority.

Actually, as you previously said, elementary school math Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Why ACAAN is a bad trick (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..19~20~21 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL