We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My Little Reading Project (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5045 Posts

Profile of landmark
Chapter 2:

The recognizable:

--The bad guys are captured, but it means sacrifice for all: "’Attention! Your attention, please! A news flash has this moment arrived from the Malabar front. Our forces in South India have won a glorious victory. I am authorized to say that the action we are now reporting may well bring the war within measurable distance of its end. Here is the news flash—' Bad news coming, thought Winston. And sure enough, following on a gory description of the annihilation of a Eurasian army, with stupendous figures of killed and prisoners, came the announcement that, as from next week, the chocolate ration would be reduced from thirty grammes to twenty."

Different:

--The war hits the homeland everyday, rather than fought through proxies: "The day was still cold and clear. Somewhere far away a rocket bomb exploded with a dull, reverberating roar. About twenty or thirty of them a week were falling on London at present."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5045 Posts

Profile of landmark
Chapter 3

The recognizable:

--the evolution of endless war: "Winston could not definitely remember a time when his country had not been at war, but it was evident that there had been a fairly long interval of peace during his childhood, because one of his early memories was of an air raid which appeared to take everyone by surprise. "

--enemies and allies declared as if there had been no past associations: "Oceania was at war with Eurasia and in alliance with Eastasia. In no public or private utterance was it ever admitted that the three powers had at any time been grouped along different lines. Actually, as Winston well knew, it was only four years since Oceania had been at war with Eastasia and in alliance with Eurasia. But that was merely a piece of furtive knowledge which he happened to possess because his memory was not satisfactorily under control. Oficially the change of partners had never happened. Oceania was at war with Eurasia: therefore Oceania had always been at war with Eurasia. The enemy of the moment always represented absolute evil, and it followed that any past or future agreement with him was impossible."

--the re-writing of history, as the generations who remember what actually happened, die off: "‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’ "

Different:
--nothing in this chapter.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 17:06, ljsviol wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 16:17, balducci wrote:
While in the States a couple of weeks ago at a meeting, I visited a local bookstore in the vibrant metropolis known as Storrs, CT, and came across "The Perfect Day" by Ira Levin. I'd never heard of it before. It has been compared to 1984 and Brave New World, and I look forward to reading it. (Apparently this book was out of print for a long while and only recently re-released, which could be why I had never heard of it before.)

"This Perfect Day" is a favorite of mine; I re-read (too) often. In my opinion, it's not as dark and brooding as "1984", or even "Brave New World" - it's a rather sunny, nice future, but with total control of the populace -(. An interesting book - I hope you'll enjoy it.

Larry S.

I did quite enjoy it.

I came across Mockingbird by Walter Tevis (The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Hustler, The Queen's Gambit, etc.) a few weeks ago, and have since read it. It was also pretty good. It is about a future in which robots rule, things are breaking down, man is infertile, and reading is pretty much a lost skill.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
December 30, 1991 I played this record on my radio show so folks would know what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCuPzyqXjCo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My Little Reading Project (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL