The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Best resource to properly learn the blockhead? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
The Human Blockhead,

I have read a plethora of posts here on the Café and there is no information that leads to sources in print or video for safely learning the act.

As well I am in Phoenix if there are any experienced performers who teach this. I simply want to feel confident in my sources before I proceed and learn.

Any help would be appreciated.

Be well,

D~
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
You can't learn this stunt (or pretty much any other stunt) safely from print or video. You need a live teacher. Smile
Stigmata
View Profile
New user
A small remote village in NAM
52 Posts

Profile of Stigmata
Learning the stunt isn't as important as presenting it. I know 8year old girls that do blockhead its not super complicated. If you really cant figure it out on your own & are in Phoenix I know several people there to help show you.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Well its as simple as sticking a nail in your nose. I have done it.

My concern is primarily, how far is too far. And what one hits if they go too far.

Cleanliness. And how to determine proper circumference.

I suppose I can just ask Nipp when I order. But I was hoping to receive a little direction here to begin my compilation. I guess there is simply no printed work on the subject, and for good reason.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
If it hurts, stop pushing.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Learning to do a stunt right, and techniques for dealing with it when it goes wrong, are best learned from someone who knows it well. It doesn't matter if it's a "simple" stunt like blockhead, or something more advanced.

There are a lot of people who do blockhead. I actually know a handful who know how to present it well. Most just do a bad version of Melvin's act.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Stigmata
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Stigmata
I've seen 2 people ever out of many have it go wrong. It was horrible to watch because how painfull it looked. Once was because he was jumping thickness too fast and cracked stuff but can now actually shove rediculous stuff in there. The 2nd was at a PPV halloween party and the guy got nervous with the act he was doing and snappd the same stuff. Both times though you knew something bad was gonna happen way before it did. Its not a real dangerous act to do without being able to tell before something goes wrong.Even if something goes wrong there is nothing you can do or have any "teacher" here do to help. Far as cleanliness goes treat it like you would silverware. I don't autoclave a fork everytime I eat pasta. Just keep it clean and don't have it laying around in a jar or grease,oil and dead beetles. You'll be fine.
Cacoal
View Profile
New user
Lewiston NY
70 Posts

Profile of Cacoal
Honestly, I use a paint brush, (I am an artist after all) and I keep going until it won't go any further. The real danger is using items that are too thick. The kicker ending is still more shocking when you pretend to be "classy" It's all a matter of "taste"
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Quote:
On 2011-08-29 18:45, Sideshow Outlaw wrote:
Far as cleanliness goes treat it like you would silverware. I don't autoclave a fork everytime I eat pasta.
This is not a good analogy. The interior of the mouth and the nasal cavities are nothing alike. The tissues of the mouth are tougher, thicker, more flexible, and the chemistry of the mouth is meant to deal with, and protect us from, a variety of foreign materials. You don't stick you fork as far back into your mouth as you can get it to go.

The tissues in the nose are very vascular and relatively delicate. The structures of the nose are fairly sensitive and inflexible (the "cracking" you mentioned). The only protection from foreign bodies is mucus, hair, and sneezing.

No, you don't need to autoclave your blockhead tools (but if you could, why not do it?), but they do need to be well cared for, rust-free, cleaned thoroughly, and it's not a bad idea to flush your nose with saline before and after your show, just to clear out anything that shouldn't be left behind.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I've known a lot of people who do blockhead. Most of us have had some kind of difficulty at some time. It doesn't matter whether we're beginners or experts. Sometimes things go wrong.

Outlaw has tried hard to show us his level of expertise, without giving us any real information about himself, and indeed, deliberately obscures his background. If he actually worked in the business, some of us would know him, what he does, the kind of person he is. That he continues to hide, only discredits anything he has to say.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Don`t you think for those who hide exposes exactly who and what they are !!

So handle with care and sort the wheat from the chaff,,,never give info out to those who you don`t know and or trust. BS will never rule the roost in Sideshow,,,the internet can be great as well as stupid,,,can make false reputations and also destroy the decent among us.

Treat 99% with a pinch of salt.

Ken.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Just a pinch? In some cases, maybe a bucket.

www.bladewalker.com
Stigmata
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Stigmata
YES you should be safe with stuff and clean. There is such a thing as overkill though that is unnecessary. To clave any metal besides stainless or S.S.S is pointless as it weakens the structure of it each time. The second you open that package and touch it would contaminate it anyways. Even if you used gloves to open that package most likely the person is going to not switch gloves and touch the nail and presto the whole point of claving it was now just contaminated and ruined the point. We don't need to give anatomy lessons here to know what should be pretty common sense. Wipe a sword down before and after swallowing, same with a nail. don't force the stuff. that's where things go wrong.
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
DJ Trix mentioned Nippulini nails, which are stainless steel, and that is why I said they could be autoclaved, if he really felt the need to.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Oh wait, one more thing to share:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjvM2aZob04

Now I'm done!
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
The medal was from the sanctioned Guiness TV show in Italy.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman

www.bladewalker.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I don't know anyone up in Alaska. Dan Meyer would be the guy to talk to. He has a bead on every blade glommer around.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Sorry Ken, I didn't mean to irk you so. And if you insist I come out of the closet, fine...I love you Kondini. Now the world knows.

I feel better now.

Quote:
On 2011-09-03 14:12, Kondini wrote:
When you join a group its normal to try and fit in,this is a case for a square peg trying to fit, a peg who makes no attempt to join in but rather seems to sit on their own pretend throne expecting all the subjects to come to them.

No way pal,get with us or get lost, you earn respect from doing, not saying, and the doers will never be sayers and sayers will never be doers (Ken Brooke circa 1960).

Nipps has achieved and earnt respect from doing, that's it.
I too have a GWR so you wanna blast me,,,Im here,,,Nipps isn't.

So come outa the closet, put up or shut up.

Ken.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I love you too Todd,,,,,and I don't care who knows it !!!!!! But don`t tell Pat ok.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Best resource to properly learn the blockhead? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL