The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New effect, Bold Assembly, coming soon from The Blue Crown (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
alondon
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of alondon
What experience (skill level) is bold experience?
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
Quote:
On 2011-09-03 14:49, alondon wrote:
What experience (skill level) is bold experience?

The basic assembly itself is not very difficult at all, IMO. Not self-working, of course, but no knuckle-busting moves required. (More than anything, you actually do have to be a bit bold.)

You can "dress up" the routine in various ways that may require counts and other sleights, but that's not necessary, though Ben does cover variations as well. I like the simplicity of the straightforward assembly, but also really like the "Bolder Assembly" bonus routine. Plus, Ben Train is an excellent teacher!
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4632 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Hey everyone,

I'm home from magic camp, though it certainly doesn't feel like it (I have several magicians staying at my home, including Eric Jones who's been wowing us with some great magic!). As promised I'll now address some questions.

1. How hard is it?

The answer to this depends on your current skill level. Someone with moderate sleight-of-hand experience will have no problems picking this up. It does take some practice, but the difficulty lies more in the timing and choreography then it does in knuckle-busting technique. So someone with arthritis, or someone newer to working with cards will still be able to do it.

2. Why wait so long to do the "spread" move?

If you have the download this question will make sense, and I probably should have addressed it on the download. The reason why I save the move until the end is that I think doing the leader packet last is threefold- first, it's better from an aesthetic perspective (in my opinion), second, it allows for us to condition an audience to the laydown sequence. Finally, the whole idea behind this handling is that it allows for no apparent displacing, so if we show the cards for the laydown, do the move, then move to the next packet we'll be showing the same three cards again. While this can be addressed it clutters up the work (again, in my opinion).

Ultimately it's your choice on when you do the move. As long as you're using it and enjoying it I'm happy.

3. What about this "Marlo" guy?

Only one person brought this up so far but that one person is Mr. Ace Assembly... so I listen. Steve Reynolds, a wonderful magician and dedicated Marlo student, brought to my attention certain missing credits. As you can tell from the download, and from my posts on the Café, I love magic and want to show it the respect it deserves- and this means giving credit where credit is due. Steve has helped me track down several very important credits and I will be finding a way to rectify the situation. So thanks Steve, both for the help and the kind words about the download.

4. What about performing it like...?

A lot of people have written to me about doing it in the hands, doing a "kick-back" ending, and a ton of other cool ideas. You can perform it however you want, as long as it accomplishes whatever it is you're trying to do (entertain and fool I assume!). I love the ideas people are sharing and I'd love to hear more.

So, that's it for me right now. Thank you so much for the kind words, for the interest, and, most of all, for your sweet, sweet money.

http://www.Thebluecrown.com

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favorite magician.
magic.mind
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of magic.mind
That looks beautiful, I will buy that download ASAP.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4632 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I just read my last post... ugh, should have proofread. I haven't slept in what feels like years- sorry if it doesn't make any sense!

Ben
p.s.
Thanks Magic Mind!
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
Thanks Ben for popping in here and answering some questions! We definitely had a great time in production of Bold Assembly. When Ben first showed me this he fried me! Especially that beautiful moment when you spread the cards at the end. I then learnt the routine and automatically thought it was genius! Really glad a lot of you guys are enjoying it, and most of all..going to use it!

On a side note, for those interested in the new crown deck used in the video, they will officially be released this friday at 8PM EST exclusively at http://www.thebluecrown.com ... Our previous crown deck completely sold out in less 3 hours, and I know a lot of you don't want to miss out on these. Thanks!

Alex^
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
*cough*bump*cough*
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4632 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Hahahaha- thanks GW.

In case any of you were wondering, yes, you can do it with queens (ala Erdnase) or kings. But not jacks. NOT JACKS.

Ben
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
903 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
Ben is a great guy and I've heard nothing but great things about this effect. I look forward to reviewing it this weekend during the Magic Marketplace show.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4632 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I'm excited to hear your thoughts!

For those that haven't checked out The Magic Session yet, you're missing out. Great chats, a format that allows for some actual sessioning and sharing of ideas, and a great group of people. Log on, cam up (or not- some just type) and hang out. You'll be glad you did.

Also, don't forget it's not to late to grab Bold Assembly- studies have shown that doing this routine lead to a 0.4% increase in sex appeal and a 0.8% improvement in table manners. And you can't argue with science.

Ben
jvickers
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of jvickers
I'm a creationist. I can argue science all day long.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4632 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I couldn't have said it better Vickers.

That's right folks- another glowing review for BA (this time from God)!*

Ben
*That wasn't meant as sacrilege!
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
Luke Dancy just reviewed Bold Assembly on his weekly show on The Magic Session! Hope you guys enjoy it! http://themagicsession.com/featured/magi......09-25-11

Thanks
Alex^
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1643 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Such a well deserved review! Still loving this effect and its fitting in well with my stash of go to, on the spot effects!

Jamie Daws
THE DARK SERIES - DECEASED - SCREAM - HE'S NOT HERE - www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
That's really great to hear Jamie. I've also been doing the routine ever since learning it from Ben. I actually performed this a couple of time in the spectators hands. Can't get into it too much here but just imagine having 4 spectators, each holding the cards and then we "randomly" pick one spectator. That spectator ends up with all 4 aces. Only one minor adjustment has to be made in the routine to pull this off, and it kills! I'm sure everyone who has it could figure out a way of doing it Smile

Alex^
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4632 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Alex,

I'd LOVE to hear more about it!

And for the rest of you- I've included an updated "credits" section that includes additional sources (including new ones from Steve Reynolds!). Our way of saying that we care about magic (and we're scared of Marlo's vengeful ghost).
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
Thanks Ben,

I'll have to show you some teaches...teach you a lesson or two..you know how it is lol Smile

Also, Ben's correct...every download of Bold Assembly comes with a separate PDF of crediting that Ben put together. Crediting and knowing our history is very important, so I feel like this added bonus will really make this download stand out, and is hopefully something we can implement in all our work (and inspire others to do the same) from here on out! Thanks!

Alex^
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
Thanks Ben,

I'll have to show you some teaches...teach you a lesson or two..you know how it is lol Smile

Also, Ben's correct...every download of Bold Assembly comes with a separate PDF of crediting that Ben put together. Crediting and knowing our history is very important, so I feel like this added bonus will really make this download stand out, and is hopefully something we can implement in all our work (and inspire others to do the same) from here on out! Thanks!

Alex^
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-09-23 11:35, jvickers wrote:
I'm a creationist. I can argue science all day long.

:dizzy:
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4632 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2011-09-28 14:48, alex_pandrea wrote:
Thanks Ben,

We'll trade lessons- mine will be on writing in English and McDonald's aces...

Benny
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New effect, Bold Assembly, coming soon from The Blue Crown (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL