The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Question about the BSF (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
What do you guys think about the Backslip Force? I'm not sure if it's because I'm not doing it properly or if I just need more practice, but as simple as this sleight may be, I find it hard to conceal. As a result, I still haven't used it yet in a trick as I usually use a different force.

I know Paul Wilson doesn't like it cause he says you can easilly get caught. I still think it can be useful in certain situations.
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
I use it all the time and haven't been caught once, it's a little angley but it's pretty obvious where your weak angles are - practice in the mirror to be certain though.
Have the deck shuffled first then use something like a bubble-peek to spot what the force card will be.

Chris
JamieUK
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of JamieUK
Chris -
when using, do you just hold the deck still, or do you do the rotating both hands bit to point to the face of the card above? This hides the move and the noise, but then it looks like you're just looking at the card above to become a key card? so I'm not so keen on it. would love to hear your opinion if possible (or anyone else's of course!)

Many thanks

Jamie
Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
It is quite useful,especially if you already use the riffle force, or planning to use it.
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Don't forgot the inevitable "click" when doing it................ Smile
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
JamieUK
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of JamieUK
Chris -
when using, do you just hold the deck still, or do you do the rotating both hands bit to point to the face of the card above? This hides the move and the noise, but then it looks like you're just looking at the card above to become a key card? so I'm not so keen on it. would love to hear your opinion if possible (or anyone else's of course!)

Many thanks

Jamie
Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
Here's what I do:
move forward your left hand, right hand hold still. to show the spectators your card.

larger motion covers smaller motion, right?
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2016 Posts

Profile of puggo
Check out (if you can) the work on the slip force by David Williamson. This involves one-hand fanning the top packet, seems reasonably (ish) motivated and is good on the deceptive - ometer.
I have to confess that I prefer forcing the bottom card using a variation on the John Bannon method (smoke and mirrors?) with a beveled deck - very good angles.
Charlie
Darth_Prime
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Darth_Prime
The Paper Engine - Aaron Fisher, has a decent variation of the Slip Force
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6918 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 13:36, puggo wrote:
Check out (if you can) the work on the slip force by David Williamson. This involves one-hand fanning the top packet, seems reasonably (ish) motivated and is good on the deceptive - ometer.
I have to confess that I prefer forcing the bottom card using a variation on the John Bannon method (smoke and mirrors?) with a beveled deck - very good angles.
Charlie

I believe youre referring to Sid Lorraine's method.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6918 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Gary Kurtz' work on the move is worth study.
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
After the deck is shuffled I explain that I'm going run my thumb down the corner of the deck and they're to say stop whenever they like.
I then turn my head away, and hold the deck with the face card towards the spectator and angled down slightly, when they call stop I ask them if they'd like to go any further or go back at all.
I then pull out the top stock as I bring the bottom half forwards and push the selection off of the top of the bottom pile and put it on the table infront of them.
Nothing groundbreaking but it serves me well!
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
668 Posts

Profile of Alel
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 13:36, puggo wrote:
Charlie

I think I've seen Chris Korn use this back in his Mondo Magic episodes. It does make a good way of covering the method.

Joshua Jay also teaches a variation on this force which eliminates that "click".

And I remember Steven Youell some touches on this buried somewhere in the Trapdoor...

Personally I don't use this force though.
Justin W
View Profile
Special user
Lawrence, KS
929 Posts

Profile of Justin W
The Kurtz handling is good, as is Carney's in Carneycopia.

I'm not sure why someone would prefer the original handling though. Why not just do a riffle force instead? Or a classic, for that matter? The original is pretty terrible.
Shawn Evans
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Shawn Evans
I use Aaron Fisher's Covered Backslip Force from his FISM 2003 notes.
I took the Pledge

" The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2618 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Best backslip force I've ever seen in print is in The Complete Works of Derek Dingle. I only mention it here because I know no one will bother looking it up.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8557 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I used to talk about this at lectures. I'd demonstrate how most people do that force - and say that it looks as if they're doing a ballet; "We won't use this card" as he swivels to the right to show the face card of the top half - "...because I can see it. So, we'll use this card" as he swivels back to the left. Should have a violin playing as it's done! Then I'd demonstrate how to do it without the "ballet." I think I wrote it up somewhere, darned if I can of where. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
^ Any of your books teach it?

The only method I know of is the one tought in Royal Road.
metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
Oh and Ben Salina's method which is that "ballet thing" Harry mentioned above
TAJ
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of TAJ
Hi metaljohn,
Harry teaches the backslip force in his "Harry Lorayne's Best Ever! Collection" dvd Vol. 1 the teaching is hilarious!

Taj
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Question about the BSF (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL