The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Question about the BSF (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
Yeah I own that DVD (actually all 4) and after posting in this thread I remembered that. I'm gonna go back and watch that, I just haven't had the chance yet.
EldonFowler
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of EldonFowler
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 13:36, puggo wrote:
Check out (if you can) the work on the slip force by David Williamson. This involves one-hand fanning the top packet, seems reasonably (ish) motivated and is good on the deceptive - ometer.

Can I ask, where is this found please? It sounds interesting, especially as I love David Williamson!
Eric Fry
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Eric Fry
The subtlety of turning the right hand face up and pointing to it is attributed to Nate Leipzig. It is in Farelli's "Card Magic." It also shows up in Hugard's book about Jack Merlin, "...and a Pack of Cards," and in Bill Turner's "The Card Wizard."

Leipzig gave the move a different context in a trick called Leipzig's Acrobats in "Stars of Magic" and the Vernon/Ganson book "A Tribute to Nate Leipzig."

Not such an awful pedigree for a move...

You don't have to worry about key-card suspicions. Just thumb off the card face down to the spectator and let him return it to the deck and shuffle.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 20:14, EldonFowler wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 13:36, puggo wrote:
Check out (if you can) the work on the slip force by David Williamson. This involves one-hand fanning the top packet, seems reasonably (ish) motivated and is good on the deceptive - ometer.

Can I ask, where is this found please? It sounds interesting, especially as I love David Williamson!

Sorry, I forgot to check back. I can't remember if this is on the International Magic Lecture, or else on Dave / Dave2. I'm away from home at the moment. Perhaps someone else will chime in. All 3 are excellent though!
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
326 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
Even if you didn't need to force a card, I think offering the selection this way is not as natural as the classic force... even without the backslip. Even without the back slip, there is something suspect about it...people think you might stop where you want to stop, or try to time it.
I recently saw magician (or maybe he said he was a mentalist) on the Craig Ferguson show do a ballet slip force. Such an unnatural act!
It's like seeing magicians choice done badly.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 11:19, metaljohn wrote:
What do you guys think about the Backslip Force? I'm not sure if it's because I'm not doing it properly or if I just need more practice, but as simple as this sleight may be, I find it hard to conceal. As a result, I still haven't used it yet in a trick as I usually use a different force.

Although I don't use this force anymore, it can be made silent and nearly angle proof. I'll send you a PM with link to a video that has some details on how to do that. I'm not making it public because it's just a Webcam shoot and done informally. But I think it might help you.

I prefer the Classic Force which I believe can be made to be 100% effective. However regardless of which force you use, I think an important consideration is consistency in selection procedures.

Spread Cards between your hands. "Please, touch a card."
Spread Cards between your hands. "Please, pull out a card."
Spread Cards between your hands. "Please, pick one out."
Hold the deck in your left hand. "Say stop as I riffle down the deck."

See? Anomaly. Just something to think about.

SEY
Engali
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Engali
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 16:47, Justin W wrote:
The Kurtz handling is good, as is Carney's in Carneycopia.

I'm not sure why someone would prefer the original handling though. Why not just do a riffle force instead? Or a classic, for that matter? The original is pretty terrible.

These were the two sources I was going to pint to do to do the BSF as a straight force. Kurtz's handling in particular takes care of the possibility that spectators think a key card is being used.
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
326 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
I second what SEY said about consistency.
If you spread the cards and say, "Take any card you like, makes no difference," when you DON'T need to force a card,
then when you do need to force, you switch gears and do something different, it will draw attention to itself. Some spectators might feel a little pressured or rushed.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2012-05-24 15:48, Brainbu$ter wrote:
If you spread the cards and say, "Take any card you like, makes no difference," when you DON'T need to force a card, then when you do need to force, you switch gears and do something different, it will draw attention to itself. Some spectators might feel a little pressured or rushed.

There are ways to handle that with presentation though-- but being aware that you need to address the issue is important.

SEY
Engali
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Engali
Quote:
On 2012-05-24 15:48, Brainbu$ter wrote:
I second what SEY said about consistency.
If you spread the cards and say, "Take any card you like, makes no difference," when you DON'T need to force a card,
then when you do need to force, you switch gears and do something different, it will draw attention to itself. Some spectators might feel a little pressured or rushed.

Which is why you should be using a wide variety of selection procedures if you plan on using any force that isn't done from a spread.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2012-05-24 17:45, Engali wrote:
Which is why you should be using a wide variety of selection procedures if you plan on using any force that isn't done from a spread.

A point I thought I made clear: avoid the anomaly. Probably should have spelled that out.

SEY
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Don't overlook Bruce Cervon's work on this. The great Earl Nelson recommends Bruce's work published in the Cervon File in his excellent, Variations Revisited.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Another interesting approach is Dr. Ken Krenzel's Vertical Slip which can be found in his Relaxed Impossibilities by Stephen Minch. Ken's handling is very fair, open, and of course, relaxed.
BenGGie
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of BenGGie
A while back Aaron Fisher put out the covered BSF, That was pretty cool
Angel1998
View Profile
Regular user
Ho Chi Minh City,Vietnam
184 Posts

Profile of Angel1998
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 13:50, Darth_Prime wrote:
The Paper Engine - Aaron Fisher, has a decent variation of the Slip Force

That is Covered Backslip Force Smile. It's a really nice force can be do surround !!! Smile
Justin W.
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas
237 Posts

Profile of Justin W.
Quote:
This hides the move and the noise, but then it looks like you're just looking at the card above to become a key card?

How about embracing their suspicions of a key card, a la Tamariz?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Question about the BSF (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL