The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Feedback Please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
Hi everyone,

Since August 3 I've started performing dove magic and card manipulation (have never performed before that! It was a surprise even to my family and friends) and the only video footage I have so far is from that first week.. I've changed several things so far, but still, I would love to hear what you think about this, there are a million things about this video that bug me, and trust me, I'm working on eliminating many of them, please let me know what you think and what could be improved/done otherwise..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaprCO9uLBM
Nak
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Nak
Some very pretty work in there for sure, and a great start for so early in your progress. I assume you've been practicing for quite a bit longer than that week, so kudos to you for not beginning performing too early.

I know that you said you see a lot of stuff you need to work on, so I'll just hit some very general thoughts I had:

1. To make your music transitions smoother, try a simple editing program. Audacity is a free download and will allow you to fade tracks in and out so you don't have an abrupt change.

2. Your back was turned quite often for steals...try to cut down on this as much as you can...think of all the possibilities in your costuming (or how you could change it to make it easier). Tails, vests or cummerbund, lapels, pants.....be creative.

That's all I'll hit on and I know you'll continue to improve. Best of luck!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Not bad for a 1st effort, but I must say, you are using Lance Burton's Candle vanish method. Wrapping the silk around the candle is Lance Burton's method. Did you get permission from Lance to incorporate that in your material? Copying moves and material from performers when it is not published is looked down on in the magic community.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Nice work ... try not to give your back that much to the audience .. and be more stationary while priducing the cards .
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
Quote:
On 2011-09-01 04:00, wmhegbli wrote:
Not bad for a 1st effort, but I must say, you are using Lance Burton's Candle vanish method. Wrapping the silk around the candle is Lance Burton's method. Did you get permission from Lance to incorporate that in your material? Copying moves and material from performers when it is not published is looked down on in the magic community.

Didn't know that, well, copying is not OK, I knew that, but that this was Lance Burton's method, I wrapped it around and had it 'vanish' when I release the silk, I did it that way not to copy Lance, as I think he wraps it around the candle, then pulls it up and as it twirls around the candle, the candle is gone..
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-09-01 06:13, LaurensMalter wrote:
Quote:

Didn't know that, well, copying is not OK, I knew that, but that this was Lance Burton's method, I wrapped it around and had it 'vanish' when I release the silk, I did it that way not to copy Lance, as I think he wraps it around the candle, then pulls it up and as it twirls around the candle, the candle is gone..

It is the wrapping that is Lance's idea, not just the method of the vanish. The whole set of moves is his. Whether you wrap right or left does not matter. Whether you hold the candle in the left hand instead of the right does not matter. When I seen it, I immediately said to myself that is Lance Burton's vanish.

Lance Burton is formally retired, so it what do I know. If he is not going to perform any more, then it may be up for grabs.

His videos are all over YouTube. I just suggest you come up with your own idea or use the classic printed moves from Fantasio and others in the books by David Ginn's publications.

------------------------------------------------

To come back to your show, I do not know why the announcer stayed on stage with you, it was very distracting. He should have left the stage.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
You are defenetly right about the announcer .. I thought that to .
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Work in the light! There were dead spaces in your lighting and unfortunately most of your card productions, and the snow storm, were in those dead spaces. Most of the other critical things have been mentioned.

JMHO
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
Quote:
On 2011-09-01 10:08, Stanyon wrote:
Work in the light! There were dead spaces in your lighting and unfortunately most of your card productions, and the snow storm, were in those dead spaces. Most of the other critical things have been mentioned.

JMHO

I've already ordered a starcloth as background and blue lights that spread the light all over the stage.. This is in my Dad's zoo, there's currently a new theater under construction, I'll be able to fix the lighting, music and interior to my liking, cause I hate the looks of this 'theater', it's simply not practical..
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
Quote:
On 2011-09-01 08:05, wmhegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-01 06:13, LaurensMalter wrote:
Quote:

It is the wrapping that is Lance's idea, not just the method of the vanish. The whole set of moves is his. Whether you wrap right or left does not matter. Whether you hold the candle in the left hand instead of the right does not matter. When I seen it, I immediately said to myself that is Lance Burton's vanish.

Lance Burton is formally retired, so it what do I know. If he is not going to perform any more, then it may be up for grabs.

His videos are all over YouTube. I just suggest you come up with your own idea or use the classic printed moves from Fantasio and others in the books by David Ginn's publications.

------------------------------------------------

To come back to your show, I do not know why the announcer stayed on stage with you, it was very distracting. He should have left the stage.

Well thank you for informing me, I had no idea, I've seen many magicians do it like that (Hans Klok for example) and I wanted to do it this way until I created my own method.

About the announcer, you're absolutely right, but because I'm constantly changing stuff, I can't have my music timed, someone needs to press the button, and sadly, the music is in plain sight, it should be tucked away backstage, I figured this was better than if I would do it myself Smile
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
The first song is very beautiful. Actually the whole thing was quite lovely and I enjoyed myself watching it.

The card manipulation was a little scattered for me. You want to isolate attention in specific areas where the magic is happening; this will concentrate your power via the linear stability your audience will experience. For example, try reading a book that is moving in abstract patterns; It requires one to expend energy to assimilate the contents. This activity causes the left hemisphere of the brain to ratiocinate and at that point you have lost the capacity to mystify as the logic will eclipse emotion. Ultimately then you are presenting a puzzle.

You might try centralizing the work around your face to bring due light towards your expression in terms of how you desire to have your audience feel. I feel if you eliminate all the superfluous movement and refine the gestures to the absolute necessities alone you will have very beautiful magic that is sophisticated and well worth watching.

This is just one perspective, take it with a grain of salt.

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut. ;o)
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
William!
In point of fact, the wrap around candle vanish, which has never before appeared in print is actually MY idea! I created as a teen and later when Lance Burton and I were working in Hollywood together at the Body Shop (around 1980) on the Sunset Strip...I taught it to him and gave him my permission to use it. At the time Lance was just developing his candle sequence prior to FISM and needed another good vanish. Since Lance and I worked together often there, I feel certain he would readily concur with these statements.
REgards-
JNeal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
JNeal, I am sure you are correct. I wondered how Lance Developed such a wonderful act in only a year after winning the IBM Grand Prize award. His winner act was nothing like his Vegas Act. I heard some professionals helped him, just did not know who.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Love the act. It’s real good. First off, try not to be so stiff in the beginning. I know why you are, but try to relax the rest of the body. Also, why do the flash paper if you are not going to produce something. I love your cover when the match pull didn’t work.

The music was mentioned already, but I am going to add a bit more advice. At the beginning, you have the music stop abruptly when you go into the card manipulations. Make sure that there is a definite ending to the music. When it does, give a short bow to acknowledge the end of the segment. This will give you another applause you would not have had.

Don’t do the cards for your enjoyment. Do you card work more towards the audience. Your hands are so far back, the audience can’t see them. Move the palm of your hand closer downstage. Check this with your video recorder the next time you practice to get the angles correct.

The wrap of the candle is not Lance Burton’s, it’s Fantasio’s. I read it years ago, only Fantasio used a ribbon, but same concept. So if Lance produces cards from his bare hands we are not allowed to do that either?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-09-01 17:14, mtpascoe wrote:
The wrap of the candle is not Lance Burton’s, it’s Fantasio’s. I read it years ago, only Fantasio used a ribbon, but same concept. So if Lance produces cards from his bare hands we are not allowed to do that either?

You are very wrong on the ribbon, Fantasio did not twirl the ribbon around the candle. If you think he did. provide a reference.

Aren't you funny, did you take the time to read my posts. I believe I said if it is classic moves then it is for anyone to use. You example is also wrong, I would like to do you one better and say if you are not a Chavez Studio graduate, you cannot produce cards or fans of cards from the air.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-09-01 15:16, JNeal wrote:
William!
In point of fact, the wrap around candle vanish, which has never before appeared in print is actually MY idea! I created as a teen and later when Lance Burton and I were working in Hollywood together at the Body Shop (around 1980) on the Sunset Strip...I taught it to him and gave him my permission to use it. At the time Lance was just developing his candle sequence prior to FISM and needed another good vanish. Since Lance and I worked together often there, I feel certain he would readily concur with these statements.
REgards-
JNeal

I was at the body shop in LA during the 83' convention and saw Lance. He uses my match-pulls exclusively and I always enjoy each and every lit match production almost as much as the doves.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
Quote:
On 2011-09-01 17:14, mtpascoe wrote:
Love the act. It’s real good. First off, try not to be so stiff in the beginning. I know why you are, but try to relax the rest of the body. Also, why do the flash paper if you are not going to produce something. I love your cover when the match pull didn’t work.

The music was mentioned already, but I am going to add a bit more advice. At the beginning, you have the music stop abruptly when you go into the card manipulations. Make sure that there is a definite ending to the music. When it does, give a short bow to acknowledge the end of the segment. This will give you another applause you would not have had.

Don’t do the cards for your enjoyment. Do you card work more towards the audience. Your hands are so far back, the audience can’t see them. Move the palm of your hand closer downstage. Check this with your video recorder the next time you practice to get the angles correct.

My match pull failed one too many times so now I tape 2 matches together, and at the bottom of the matches, where they meet, I put my flashpaper in between, so the audience doesn't see me go for the flashpaper, I light the candle and all of the sudden there's a flash, I wanted to produce another candle during the flash, but that would be a little too much if you know what I mean..

I've contacted Lance in the hope there will be no misunderstandings (question is, will he return my e-mail, haha).
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
Quote:
On 2011-09-01 12:39, DJ Trix wrote:
The first song is very beautiful. Actually the whole thing was quite lovely and I enjoyed myself watching it.

The card manipulation was a little scattered for me. You want to isolate attention in specific areas where the magic is happening; this will concentrate your power via the linear stability your audience will experience. For example, try reading a book that is moving in abstract patterns; It requires one to expend energy to assimilate the contents. This activity causes the left hemisphere of the brain to ratiocinate and at that point you have lost the capacity to mystify as the logic will eclipse emotion. Ultimately then you are presenting a puzzle.

You might try centralizing the work around your face to bring due light towards your expression in terms of how you desire to have your audience feel. I feel if you eliminate all the superfluous movement and refine the gestures to the absolute necessities alone you will have very beautiful magic that is sophisticated and well worth watching.

This is just one perspective, take it with a grain of salt.

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut. ;o)

I realize what you're saying is advice and I appreciate it, but please keep in mind, English is a 1,2,3.. 4th language for me, haha. Smile
I'm thinking about adding some more doves, I've been working on the double dove production and the dove split, if I could add those, I'll probably eliminate the cards from the dove routine, as I can't manage to steal the cards in a subtile way..
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-09-01 19:51, LaurensMalter wrote:
... I'll probably eliminate the cards from the dove routine, as I can't manage to steal the cards in a subtile way..

Sorry to hear that, it makes me feel bad when people give up on learning.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
You can do a nice dove toss and steel some birds but cant steel cards !!!!!!
yes you can, all you need is a good holder well positioned and a lot of trial .to cover the steel .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Feedback Please (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL