The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ummmm....seriously????? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2755 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
OK, the 911 coloring book promotes hatred and must be removed from circulation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZEGsnWZKh8

But the Islamic "Mickey Mouse" is perfectly fair and balanced!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Lobo, there were essentially three things being said, they are islamic muslim radical extremist, they hate "you" for your freedoms (and this is why they attacked,) and "you," and your "society" are free.

I'll admit "they" don't like a lot about america, but that is not why "they" attacked, and that was my point.

Also, I was not hanging that on whether or not you are really free. That is a separate point, and the first is not contingent on it.

Even if they did attack you for your freedoms, the reality of your freedom is separate from their perception of it.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-09-03 05:23, ed rhodes wrote:

Who is saying that?
Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism. Also, there's something to be said about being the bigger "man."
But enough about "us" and "them" and other such divisive collectivism.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2755 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-09-03 09:02, gdw wrote:
Quote:

Who is saying that?
Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism. Also, there's something to be said about being the bigger "man."

They are. They've been criticized for the children's show and they defended themselves claiming they have a right to preach anger and hatred toward America and Israel to their children. But we're supposed to be all sweetness and light and not produce anything that puts them (or a small group of them) in a negative light? Can you say "hypocrisy" boys and girls? I knew you could.
Ain't life unkind?"
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Ed, who are "they?"

If you are referring to those preaching "hatred" to their children, well, that would just be be part and partial with their hatred. However, that was not, at least as far as I saw, the issue/criticisms being brought up here, which is what it seemed you were responding to.

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I realize I'm just an outsider to this conversation, but I really, truly don't understand what you guys are disagreeing about.

gdw: What statement by whom are you disagreeing with?
lobo: what about gdw's disagreement do you think is mistaken?
Ed: who are you talking about?

Maybe it's just me, but I am lost.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-09-03 11:50, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-03 09:02, gdw wrote:
Quote:

Who is saying that?

They are. They've been criticized for the children's show and they defended themselves claiming they have a right to preach anger and hatred toward America and Israel to their children. But we're supposed to be all sweetness and light and not produce anything that puts them (or a small group of them) in a negative light? Can you say "hypocrisy" boys and girls? I knew you could.

Farfour (the mouse) was taken off the air after 5 episodes ran circa April-June of 2007. The character was heavily criticized by nearly everyone at the time. From the news of that day:

"The program was opposed by the Palestinian Broadcasting Corp., which is controlled by the Fatah movement of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, a Hamas rival that shares power with the militants in the Palestinian government."

"Palestinian Information Minister Mustafa Barghouti said the character — a giant black-and-white rodent with a high-pitched voice — represented a “mistaken approach” to the Palestinian struggle against Israeli occupation. Barghouti is an independent aligned with neither Hamas nor Fatah."

So whoever your "they" is, it was a relatively small fringe group.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-09-03 12:12, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I realize I'm just an outsider to this conversation, but I really, truly don't understand what you guys are disagreeing about.

gdw: What statement by whom are you disagreeing with?
lobo: what about gdw's disagreement do you think is mistaken?
Ed: who are you talking about?

Maybe it's just me, but I am lost.

John

In saying that "radical" is the only thing that's "remotely true," I think he incorrectly dismisses at least some truth in the quoted excerpt with respect to "terrorist," "Islamic Muslim extremists," "hate the American way of life" and "because we are free."

With respect to the last part of those claims, as the topic moved to focus on, I cited particular freedoms that contribute to a hatred of America among at least some radical fundamentalists. Matt Stone and Trey Parker didn't get death threats because they made statements advocating intervention in Middle East affairs.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2755 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-09-03 11:57, gdw wrote:
Ed, who are "they?"

If you are referring to those preaching "hatred" to their children, well, that would just be be part and partial with their hatred. However, that was not, at least as far as I saw, the issue/criticisms being brought up here, which is what it seemed you were responding to.

I am responding to the fact that the Islamic community is up in arms over a coloring book while they promote hatred and intolerance in a children's television show. And defend it. Is that clear enough for you?
Ain't life unkind?"
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Ed, which "Islamic Community" are you referring to? Islamic communities in the USA are different from those in other countries, aren't they?

John
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2755 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Which Islamic Community is complaining about the coloring book? Which Islamic Community is producing (or at the very least, defending) the children's show?

Is there anybody in any Islamic Community protesting the children's show?
Ain't life unkind?"
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-09-03 13:33, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-03 11:57, gdw wrote:
Ed, who are "they?"

I am responding to the fact that the Islamic community is up in arms over a coloring book while they promote hatred and intolerance in a children's television show. And defend it. Is that clear enough for you?

The Islamic community is hardly "up in arms' protesting the coloring book. A few representatives spoke about it, that's all. Well, unless you have seen / read something more about this that I am unaware of.

In case you missed my earlier post, many in the Islamic community DID protest against that chidren's television show you mentioned and its character Farfour the mouse.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
"terrorist," "Islamic Muslim extremists,"
I wasn't arguing those points Lobo, I was encompassing them with the term "radical." Sorry if there was some confusion because of that.

As I said, my points were that they did not attack because they "hated you for your freedoms," and that "you" are not really "free."

acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
What is the big deal? Don't they have the right to publish a book if they want? No one is forcing anyone to purchase it. It is not mandatory reading in shcool. What is the fuss? Is it any different than calling anyone who is not muslim an infidel?

Now get busy and start coloring. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Aces, they have every right to publish such a book, just as everyone else has every right to criticize it.

GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
The problem is that these criticisms don't stop at merely criticizing but typically include demands to cease publication.
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-09-04 10:55, GlenD wrote:
The problem is that these criticisms don't stop at merely criticizing but typically include demands to cease publication.

That's fine. Demands, boycotts, etc. What's not fine is when these demands are accompanied by violence.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2755 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-09-03 15:17, balducci wrote:

The Islamic community is hardly "up in arms' protesting the coloring book. A few representatives spoke about it, that's all. Well, unless you have seen / read something more about this that I am unaware of.

In case you missed my earlier post, many in the Islamic community DID protest against that chidren's television show you mentioned and its character Farfour the mouse.

I haven't heard any Islamic individuals or groups go public with criticism of any decisions made by either radical or mainstream members of the Islamic community at large.
Ain't life unkind?"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-09-04 11:28, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-03 15:17, balducci wrote:

I haven't heard any Islamic individuals or groups go public with criticism of any decisions made by either radical or mainstream members of the Islamic community at large.

Do you get the news where you live?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ummmm....seriously????? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL