The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A lil bit of friday night viewing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1039 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1039 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
I find it interesting that all the lay people are of the opinion that yes there is a lot of fraud and charlatans but sally is the real deal. fantastic.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
You're right Smoking Camel, it is hard to comprehend. I remember being at one of these shows a few years ago. A well known older English (female) "Medium" was performing. Let's just say after the Q & A part of the show, after the grilling that I gave her, I was lucky to get out of there alive!
Alas, we all know what happened what Randi exposed Popoff, he made him even richer!
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
You then have to wonder at those who portray the role of high-profile skeptics. Since it seems they don't actually succeed in changing public opinion through "educating" them (sometimes but not always involving mentalism exposure) why bother? Oh, publicity and money, that's usually why.
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
By this logic, Mother Theresa was also publicity hound and just interested in money, since there's still poor and sick people. She didn't do any good either.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Of course the by product of Randi or any other well known name on a crusade to expose these charlatans, will be that they themselves keep their own profile active. I do think though if this was his only motivation, he could have found other ways. It is not as if he wasn't a very competent performer himself. I suppose the inner cynic in me David wants to agree with you, but I think Brody's analogy is more closer to the truth on this one.
Anyway, isn't TV magic great, even if some do hide behind the guise of "Connecting with the Dead".
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 21:20, brody wrote:
By this logic, Mother Theresa was also publicity hound and just interested in money, since there's still poor and sick people. She didn't do any good either.

I knew there was something suspicious about that woman.

:eek:
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 21:20, brody wrote:

Not quite - major difference is that money is under the control of those with power - funny how there's people starving Ç(at home and abroad) but the UK and USA always have the money for wars.

With skepticism we are dealing purely with belief systems, something that nobody can control and is strictly personal. Two people with teh exact same education can be on opposite sides of the fence regarding psi so "better" education isn't going to resolve it (IF it needs resolving). It's experience based. I've been on the skeptic side now, based on my own personal experiences, I am way on the other side and having experienced both sides I now realise that it's not about who's right and who's wrong it's about one set imposing their beliefs on another set.
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
David:
------------------------
From Wikipedia:

They accuse her of proselytizing, failing to provide accounts which Hitchins could have audited and which would have allowed donors to investigate how their money was used, allowing her hospice to be primitive and run down despite obtaining vast sums of donated money which could be used to build, for example a new teaching hospital in Calcutta.
------------------------

Doesn't sound that much different.

Also, I was responding to your thought that if you don't "succeed", then you must be in it for the money and fame.

What if the "exposers" only change one person's outlook. Isn't that enough of a "success"?

I also disagree with your thought that: "With skepticism we are dealing purely with belief systems, something that nobody can control and is strictly personal."

I think that skepticism is a thought process, not a belief system. (Although, to be strictly accurate, EVERYTHING (including our own existence) is a belief, but that's a different discussion.)

And others CAN change my thoughts and beliefs. I may not like the answers I get from skepticism, but if the proof is there, then I WILL change my mind...or be guilty of the same thought processes I abhor.

I confess that if someone had ever said that they believed that there was a "planet" made entirely of diamond, I would have thought them mis-guided at best, if not totally irrational.

And I would have been wrong, apparently.

I think that the real difference is what we consider to be proof.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Don't get started on mother theresa...

the bit that gets me and I find a bit sickening about our societies is the way they portray that as FACT

quote from the voiceover,
"over the past 30 years, Sally's psychic abilities have helped thousands of people contact their loved ones in the spirit world"

how can you just say things like this on television?!?! not presented as opinion from an interview but in the actual script. so... many... words... ARGH!
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

National Radio here in Ireland had an interesting chat with a caller today who phoned in to complain about our friend "Sally" and the man in the box who could be overheard talking to "Sally" during her packed out show in Dublin last night! I will try and post a link later......
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Lot's o' Hatin' up here!
(big surprise right?)

Anyways, looks like an interesting show, thanks.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Yeah, I reckon it was "Big John", her Hubby. Night got a bit clammy I suspect with all those bodies seated, & he forgot himself for a few mins while he opened his window!
Ah well, as we've seen all too often in the past, this will be just a little glitch while the Roadshow rolls on!
The Spirits would be proud of her. She charged €40 a head!
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Pod-v-12091117m02slivelinepsychic-pid0-1022352.mp3
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
feed://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_liveline.xml

that seems to be it? the above wouldn't work for me, looking forward to listening to it, thanks for posting
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Not sure. If you go to http://www.rte.ie, then click radio, then look at the mp3downloads/podcasts section, click on liveline & you're in.
Worth a listen if yu can get the connection.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

No worries - be mindful, this is the most listened to talk-in show in Ireland. Regular listens exceeding 300,000 daily. Might not seem a lot to the bigger Nations, but it can form opinion very quickly here. Just hope it hits the right note with the "fence sitters". She does her nonsense again in March 2012 in Ireland. Pity there is such a long delay. "Eaten bread is soon forgotten".
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Sorry, that should read phone - in show. Long day.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Great stuff, nice to hear, wish I had heard it earlier and I would have rang in.

the host didn't seem to grasp it at first but it went as well as could be expected, though Sally's statement is disgusting.

I'm going to keep the broadcast, might try sending it to a few people and places,

if you are going to scam people, you may as well do it right!
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

100% Adam!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A lil bit of friday night viewing (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL