The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memory demonstration using small group of memorized cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I've recently begun working on some memory demonstrations(real using PAO system).

I have a mid-point in the routine where I have a dozen cards I know the values but not order. The rest of the cards can't be involved(or only a single card). Looking for unique ways to use this packet. They know I have looked at and memorized the cards, so any magic effect hinging on them not knowing that won't work.

Some ideas so far:
- Naming each card in packet
- Having card or cards chosen, look at packet and reveal which were taken
- Revealing the best poker hands in the group from memory.(another take on naming each card in packet)
- Constructing some phone number, story or other mental object(magic square?) from the cards, then revealing(same as naming each card but dressed up)

I'm trying to expand my horizons on what a memory demonstration is about, it seems all are basically either reciting your memory or using memory to determine missing or added cards to the packet. I'd like something entertaining and with a unique viewpoint.

Can explain more if this is unclear, I suppose this falls more under memory demonstrations than magic. Thanks!

-daegs
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
On my site, I teach a real memory feat revolving around pairs of cards.

You have people pick pairs of cards (which you see, of course), and you memorize the pairs as they're selected. You have about 15 pairs (30 cards total) selected, and then have each of the 15 people show you one of their cards, and you're instantly able to recall the other one.

Back in 2009, one of my blog readers, Michael Frink, wrote me that he makes this entertaining by giving it a blackjack presentation. He talks about memorizing cards as they're dealt, and likens this to memorizing the cards while they're being selected.

For a finish, he talks about the real purpose of memorizing the cards being to know which cards haven't been dealt, so he recalls all the cards which were never picked!
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Hmm, trying to visualize how this would look for an audience. So the underlying reasoning is that memorizing the grouping and placement is different than just memorizing the values.

Given I turn 3 cards into one image, and I have 12 cards, I could have 4 people each take 3 cards, then later reveal which 3 cards each person has.

My only concern is the additional time, as I've already committed the dozen cards to memory(that part of this puzzle can't be changed), I'd essentially be memorizing them twice and this part of routine I want speed to be picking up. Might only take another 40 seconds but this is during reveal phase. I suppose less if I leave 1 of the 3 face-up.

It is very interesting though, playing with the groupings as well as just the values. Great food for thought, thank you
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
You're welcome.

Play around with ideas...3 cards could be a blackjack after an extra card is dealt.

If you can work a 13th card, you could use a bridge theme.

One classic memory feat is having four 13-card bridge hands dealt, and you look at 3 of them. Then you recall the cards you DIDN'T see, which must be the one in the 4th hand.

Look around on youtube, even at the fake playing card memory feats. The presentations might give you some good ideas.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memory demonstration using small group of memorized cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL