The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Injustice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15759 Posts

Profile of tommy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/14730055

Never judge a book by its cover as they say but I have to say that I find it hard to believe that thing could not kill a sheep. Even if it could its such a shame that they are all extinct now.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Have you ever seen an Australian sheep?

We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
If they can clone back just one species, I hope it's the Tasmanian Tiger.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Not the stegosaurus?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I think the conclusions reported here are rather too sweeping when based on the examination of a single skull.

Anyway, there are some other lovely videos of the last thylacine on the World Wide Web somewhere.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
"Thursday marks the 75th anniversary of the death of what is believed to have been the last remaining thylacine, named Ben. The animal was kept at Hobart Zoo in Tasmania."

Hey! I've been to Hobart Zoo in Tasmania! But, unfortunately, too late to see Ben. Did see some Tasmanian Devils though.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I always find that footage sad to watch - poor bloody thing - alone in that awful cage - at least it wasn't aware of it's real aloneness - the last of it's species.

There are people who believe tassie tigers still survive in isolated regions and they scour the countryside for paw prints and samples of faeces to support their belief.

Most of these people seem a little strange and the 'evidence' they present is anything but scientific - any unusual noise or snapped twig points to the continued existence of the thylacine for them. (A bit like a once famed Aussie shark then 'hunter', now 'researcher' who justifies his vendetta against sharks by pointing to the unexplained disappearance of a few hundred Aussies each year. In my drinking days I mentioned to him at a social event that the sharks are unlikely to be responsible for the ones who go missing in the desert and that surely alien experimentation accounted for a few. He was unamused - his life has a single focus.)

There was talk a couple of years ago of cloning the thylacine using material surviving from Ben - not sure what happened to that idea.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-09-04 20:26, Destiny wrote:
I mentioned to him at a social event that the sharks are unlikely to be responsible for the ones who go missing in the desert and that surely alien experimentation accounted for a few.

:applause:

Destiny, you rock.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2547 Posts

Profile of critter
Does anyone remember the episode of Steve Irwin's "Crocodile Hunter" where they tried to find surviving Tassie Tigers?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Sorry to go off topic but here's a quote from the shark hunter's bio regarding sharks:

"They cruise around 24 hours a day tearing apart family-oriented animals such as dolphins and dugong, eating or maiming the young as well as their mother and father... Surely the creator must have realised the terrible imbalance and injustice and must have put me here to help and restore the balance and justice for all the gentle creatures of the sea".

Such a modest and well adjusted guy.

I think from memory he believes that sharks are an evolutionary aberration - they've survived longer than intended and it's our responsibility to fix Nature or God's mistake.

Years ago, back when I was working with crocs, he had a 'Shark Show' in Cairns. In reality it was a display - a big dead refrigerated shark which he eventually sold to a shopping centre in Japan, I think for continued display, not sushi.

He still has a similar display in Hervey Bay, a whale watching centre. I will be in Hervey Bay tomorrow so I must check out the sign outside his show while I'm there - last time I was there I glimpsed it and noticed he has made a new documentary 'solving' the mystery of whale beachings - it's the bloody sharks again of course.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-09-04 23:27, Destiny wrote:

I think from memory he believes that sharks are an evolutionary aberration - they've survived longer than intended and it's our responsibility to fix Nature or God's mistake.

Pretty clearly, either God or this dude has made a mistake, and it sounds like anyone who knows the shark hunter would know that it couldn't have been his mistake, so...

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2547 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-09-04 23:27, Destiny wrote:
Sorry to go off topic but here's a quote from the shark hunter's bio regarding sharks:

"They cruise around 24 hours a day tearing apart family-oriented animals such as dolphins and dugong, eating or maiming the young as well as their mother and father... Surely the creator must have realised the terrible imbalance and injustice and must have put me here to help and restore the balance and justice for all the gentle creatures of the sea".

Years ago, back when I was working with crocs, he had a 'Shark Show' in Cairns. In reality it was a display - a big dead refrigerated shark which he eventually sold to a shopping centre in Japan, I think for continued display, not sushi.

He still has a similar display in Hervey Bay, a whale watching centre. I will be in Hervey Bay tomorrow so I must check out the sign outside his show while I'm there - last time I was there I glimpsed it and noticed he has made a new documentary 'solving' the mystery of whale beachings - it's the bloody sharks again of course.

"We're gonna' need a bigger boat."
:)
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2547 Posts

Profile of critter
"We're gonna' need a bigger helicopter."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Injustice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL