The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 6 feet Balloon Escape Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1964 Posts

Profile of tbaer
If this was my daughter, I would have been totally embarrassed.
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
Christopher, You are correct he is a real master. Comedy timing he has it all. Thanks for sharing.

Chuck Lyons
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I can't say I'm particularly taken with any of those vids. At least BB has his routine well-timed, and gets great reactions. But I did think he overkilled the snakes from balloon pump gag. (I'd say stick to the "rule of three"....if you can't come up with a different gag, don't just repeat it because it gets a reaction.) I like the concept of passing stuff through the balloon - but you can't smoke a cigarette in a kid show!
I know this routine is very engaging, because it's very silly, unusual, etc....but it does appear that the balloon bursts quite frequently, which clearly slown the pace down.
My personal feeling is that there IS a fab routine out there somewhere, but I haven't seen it yet.
And at £20 a pop (pardon the pun), it's a pricy way to entertain.
None of the above vids is presented by a good clown. I think the whole concept of climbing into a balloon is very clownish, and it's begging for a really good clown to come up with clever clownish moves and motivation, before it will really "take off". Yes, I'd include lots of daft patter if I were to do this (not that I plan to). The gags and puns that could be used are endless - and it could, really, be a very funny - nay, hilarious - routine - if done well.
Due to the cost, I think this would play well during a stage show, in which case, why not have the performer fly up into the air once he's in the balloon - and perhaps then effect a comedy "escape"? It would be cool if the balloon became a parachute, which would allow the performer to float gently back to Earth once he gets out of the balloon.
So much could be done with this, but so far, I've not seen anything which really makes me laugh or gasp.
My 2c
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I disagree Potty....BB did a great job of entertaining with it in the video I provided. Go to BB you tube channel and see him performing this act all over the place including the castle. He's a high energy act and its a sight to behold.

I do agree about the cost. If these things run that expensive and you pop one, then you're likely up to the cost of your fee.
In Mystery,


Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5765 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Buster Balloon is the real deal. Excellent balloon act! He definitely got the audience reactions.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2124 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Quote:
On 2011-09-04 10:10, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Seriously...??????


didn't like it huh?

I just enjoy the fact that it's a female doing the balloon thing for a change. But the kids arent particularly tickled I'll admit.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Just because the performer is female, doesn't give her an excuse to suck. I love seeing women in magic, but its sad when this is the result. Barking around the venu looking like a moron is just dumb...and the kids said so with their reactions.
Very sad...
In Mystery,


Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Fool,

Were you just kidding about this act I hope?
In Mystery,


Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2011-09-04 15:44, The Mighty Fool wrote:

I just enjoy the fact that it's a female doing the balloon thing for a change.


Well, that's not at all what you said. You said it was the BEST (your emphasis) presentation you have ever seen.

I think it's interesting that this children's performer does a version where she strips down to her panties:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX-mYaP8_......embedded
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I believe Hillel - Mr. Balloon Man first popularized this stunt. His video's are available on YouTube and are worth checking out. I do not burst the balloon to exit, I pull it down and step out. While slightly less dramatic, I get 4 to 5 performances with each balloon. This allows me to perform it in smaller venues. I make sure I charge appropriately to ensure that it is profitable for me to take the time and effort.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2124 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
You tagged it Starpower!! C'mon now! What's not to like about THAT act?? I'll bet kids would enjoy it too!

And yes, okay Mr. Lyle, I confess I was just seeing what reactions it would get. The reason I put up that one is because Potty beat me to the punch on the guy who got axed on Britain's-got-talent.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I have to get hold of these balloons. Combine that with the balloon swallow and I would have a thirty minute act just there!

As one guy mentioned, it is possible to reuse these balloons a few times, making the costs more bearable.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Quote:
On 2011-09-05 07:56, TonyB2009 wrote:
I have to get hold of these balloons. Combine that with the balloon swallow and I would have a thirty minute act just there!

As one guy mentioned, it is possible to reuse these balloons a few times, making the costs more bearable.


Keep in mind, you also need a leaf blower and a large plastic floor mat to protect the balloon. With these needed, it is mot a pacls flat prop. I agree, it is reusable without popping as long as it doesn't burst.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
What balloon do you think looks magical for this effect: a clear or a solid colored balloon? And if solid, what color(s) would you choose?
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
For those who do this, why not start off by attempting to blow it up the old-fashioned way - with your lungs. You could have some great comedy with that. Even add smoke from ears, etc. Then announce you need a pump - and produce a small 160 balloon pump......and frantically try to get any inflating done. Move up to a bigger pump, then another, etc...finally producing the leaf blower.
Another thought I had: you take a small round balloon from your pocket, and decide it's too small - get out a larger one - still too small - then finally, you dig deep into your pocket, and pull out the 6' balloon. Make some play of pulling the HUGE balloon out bit by bit, your eyes widening as the true size of it becomes evident.
For those who have the appropriate illusion - perhaps prelude the routine with a "Forgetful Freddie" routine, where Freddie's head vanishes, and magically reappears when the balloon pops. Then you announce that you will now perform the same trick - using yourself....I don't know the logistics, but I'm sure with some thought you could incorporate the 6 foot balloon with a "head vanishing" illusion. Perhaps you climb into the balloon, make your head vanish, then pull the balloon back up over your body until it sits atop your decapitated torso. Now, have an assistant - or a spectator - burst the balloon, and your head magically re-appears where it belongs.
Just a few thoughts....
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Great ideas Doug, keep it coming. Thanks!
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
If you're doing a stage show, you could use those ideas I posted above, but add comedy by finding everything on your person. Perhaps attach the leaf blower to your back....so you'd try out a couple of small pumps, then realise you need a REALLY BIG pump. Deftly reach behind your back and produce the leaf blower. I wonder if it would be possible to load the leaf blower a la champagne bottle production? (I think it looks too big, but there might be a way). Then you could have a "lightbulb moment", inflate a 14" balloon by mouth, or with a smaller pump - then burst it, and the leaf blower appears.
Most of these ideas would work equally well for a silent act, or with patter.
And how about using the balloon for a comedy mentalism routine? Before the performance, when the balloon is uninflated, draw a big eyeball onto the balloon with a marker pen (make sure the ink won't eat the balloon), then climb into the balloon and perform an appropriate mind-reading routine. Your premise would be that the balloon isolates you into a "spiritual space"....or whatever...The routine that I'm thinking of is "Red Carpet" by Jason Palter - of course, it would be very cool if after failing to guess the correct celebrity (Spiderman), you burst the balloon, and are seen to be wearing a complete Spiderman outfit....etc.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I think it would be cool to step into a clear balloon, then take out a latex glove and pull it over your head and blow it up and burst it. A balloon inside a balloon.

For an adult show there are so many possibilities. I will be ordering now.

I found the ladies performance quite entertaining, especially for her audience. The one I found creepy was the gospel magician. I'd have run from the building.

Potty is right - there are so many possibilities just waiting to be explored.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2124 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Quote:
On 2011-09-05 12:35, Lou Hilario wrote:
What balloon do you think looks magical for this effect: a clear or a solid colored balloon? And if solid, what color(s) would you choose?


I'd definetly go with solid-colored, in fact make is as opaque as possible, because then they cant see you doing the costume switch / whatever.

Once inside the balloon, as you continue to talk, make the balloon MOVE in time with your words. Use your hands to push out on the inside of the balloon with each syllable, creating a cartoonish talking effect. After cracking a joke inside, wait a momment and then call out "Are you laughing??......It's hard to hear in here if youre laughing!" If you have a sound-effects system (like the ceseral one) you could have all SORTS of fun going down stairs, opening doors, knocing over stuff, stepping on a cat, turning on a faucet........y'know, I think I just might get me one of these things!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
There are great routines with both opaque and clear balloons, but they are totally different. Routines are built to leverage either one. You can see both on YouTube and then make decisions based upon them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 6 feet Balloon Escape Trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL