The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 6 feet Balloon Escape Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Can you guys point me to an online shop where I can order these balloons. So far, this is the only shop I have sent an order: http://www.ContinentalSales.net
I am still researching on other places I can get these. I am overseas and these balloons weigh more than a pound each. And Customs duties are quite high in my country, too.

All I know is the brand to get is Rifco 72" balloons. I heard the other brands, if any, won't work for this purpose. The clear ones ($18.15) costs a bit less than the solid colors ($20.42).

As for the colors, I agree with The Mighty Fool because there is mystery as to how you manage to get into the balloon.
On the other hand, the clear one has also its advantages because you can be seen doing magic inside it. Also, it is possible to stuff as many kids, the birthday child or adults inside it. This is a great photo memorabilia.

I will be shopping for a leaf blower today.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Lou - I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself. These balloons are quite intimidating to most people, let alone children. I don't think you will be stuffing anyone inside, as there is a learning curve to this stunt. Perhaps you should reread this topic. The concern of danger is real. I have seen videos of multiple people entering the balloons, but I believe they are experienced at doing so and not just party goers. Rifco is a premium balloon I have found, but others work well too. A google search, as suggested earlier, will be fruitful in finding many sources. Choose the one that suits your needs best.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Hillel was maybe not the first to get in a balloon but was the one to do it first on tv long ago on the tv show that's INCREDIBLE I spoke to him years ago and it was funny as he really would not give up any real info on the balloon type to anything. just kept pointing out how dangerous this is.

I have been doing this for quite some time and love it. I don't do it every show but it is really fun and gets great reactions.
I find when I do post prom parties or high school lock ins that it plays great for that age group.

I do a card trick - the person selects a card signs it and then puts it back in the deck. I then introduce the balloon and do some comedy with blowing it up by mouth then get the leaf blower(and yes NEVER use a gas powered blower)

then the spectactor drops the cards into the balloon. I then say that I will reach in and get there card with out being able to see inside

the first card pulled out is the wrong one. I get frustrated and this starts the fun of climbing in. once in I reach out through the opening with a card (again wrong card) I then pop my head out with a card in mouth again wrong. finally I go back in yell I got it and then stand up and the balloon pops cards go flying into the air and I am standing there with a knife and a card impailed yup their card.

gets good reactions.

I have 2 other projects in work with the balloon. that will be wow moments and cant wait to get them completed.

the balloon trick is not as dangerous as some make it out to be but DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE the dangers! they do exist and you must be prepared.

I have seen a lot more people doing this in the past year but still audiences love it,

stay safe

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Oh and I found this quite funny. this guy apparently does any thing in a balloon. the vids been around for a while but thought you would get a kick out of it. I'm guessing no one here has seen this but who knows

I was actaully impressed with him jumpping ladder to ladder!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD4l3dzjOuY&feature=related
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Wow, Sam! An actual motivation for getting into the balloon, besides "it's big enough for me to get inside and do silly things".

I'm assuming the dangers consist mainly of the balloon collapsing and covering your mouth, or the performer straining something getting in and no one knows he needs help?

Ed
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Yea Ed pretty much.

truth is I think that many say its dangerous trying to discourage others from doing this so that there are not as many out there performing it.

I was told all sorts of things by Hillel and how dangerous it was and it could cause death! so could my head chopper or spiker illusion! but as with anything be smart and be careful.

I do like getting in the balloon for the card trick and it plays wells.

what iam working on is so much better though and I hope to have a real working version by next year.

sam
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2124 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Oh for cryin'....whata bunch of ninnys! (whoops...did I TYPE that instead of just thinking it?)

As long as you have something harder than CARDBOARD and pointed to the extent of an average CARROT, you'll have no trouble at all freeing yourself from this thing! In fact, if youre mose than 5 1/2 feet tall, you should be able to rip your way free with your fingers simly by standing up straight after deflation! Do not be fooled by that earlier vid of the guy saying "I'm trapped in a balloon!" If he REALLY had been trapped and in danger of suffocation, he would not have been conversing it to the mike on his camera in a casual tone!

BTW,I should clarify:The reason I know this is, having become interested in these balloons, I found out that one of the performers at EPCOT uses them and I cornered him for info. I had to do a magic trade-off, but I got all the 411 AND he let me try out one AND tkae 2 more to practice with.

Comedy tip: When getting a leaf blower, get the kind that has a reversible air-flow. On your first attempt to inflate the balloon, have it set on SUCK instead of BLOW and let the hilarity ensue!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I saw a performer do this one in his summer library program. He was more concerned about the safety of the kids getting the popped balloon afterwards than he was about himself getting in and out.

Ed
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
If you feel the need to put something down on the floor/ground to protect the balloon, what would work well for a larger area?

Ed
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I use a 6' square area rug got at the thrift store for $5
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I use a 4' X 6' aerobics mat. It rolls up easily and is rather thin and light.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1193 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I've done the giant balloon thing several times, it gets a great reaction. Go with Rifco brand and get them from Continental balloon Sales or Kaboom Importers or Goggle 72" weather balloons. Most types don't have a neck wide enough to get into, and one brand I tried seemed flimsy and popped too easily. Even the Rifco brand pops sometimes, and then you have to start over, which is expensive and annoying. Also, because they cost around $21 each it gets expensive to rehearse. You have to have spares with you at the gig. Also, even if you prefer the non-see through, you should probably bring see through with you anyways - Usually you don't know how the stage area is set up in advance (even if you ask, you never get all the info you need anyway till you see it), and if you are in a balloon and you can't see through it very well, then that's the dangerous part. You could fall off the stage, bump into people or lights, etc. The opaque (non-see through) are more mysterious cause, depending on the lighting and balloon color, they can't see what you are doing in there. On the other hand, the clear ones let you do some cool stuff too. I bring a big parachute (for parachute games) with me to perform on - it's lightweight but very durable and folds up small. In some venues you don't have enough space so you have to improvise or skip the bit. It's not dangerous to get into in my opinion (other than bumping into stuff, tripping over stuff, etc), only a moron would get trapped and suffocate - you can rip it open. It does get very hot in there, so I don't do it on really hot days. It also makes you smell bad when you get out.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Thank you Dan for the advice. I got my balloons now and also the book. All I need is practice. I guess the getting in is the most difficult part.
Do I need to condition the balloon like putting it in a dryer or do I just go ahead and inflate it?
As for the smell, I can think you can turn the balloon inside out and wash it?
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1193 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I always cut off the rim and run it in the dryer for 20 minutes on cool. Getting in is easy, but you want to find cloths the don't drag or snag. I don't promise the clients that I will do it, bu sometimes I say I might do it, if the conditions are right. The conditions might not be good for it when you get to the gig, so I suggest you don't promise unless you are 100% sure you can do it. The hardest part is making it entertaining/developing a routine/gags for it. I had my son get in with me the first time I did it. I also tried having a kid volunteer get in with me a few times, but it was too difficult and it popped both times. I have a song I put on as I inflate it and horse around, the a different song for when I'm in to change the energy and keep it interesting. Figure on the balloon popping sometimes (for me anyways - maybe other people don't have that issue), so really, the cost averages at least $30 per gig, so figure that into what you charge.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
What ceiling height works best? I would imagine that you need a minimum to work with. No low lights or sharp hanging objects.
Life of Magic!
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1193 Posts

Profile of danfreed
You can get by with around 8 or 10 feet if you really have to, but but with lower ceilings you can't really jump around and feel free to have fun, I wouldnt do it with less than 12 feet or so. I've only done it outdoors, but once I had to really watch out for overhead stage lights. Once you try it a few times you'll know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 6 feet Balloon Escape Trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL