We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Best Cups and Balls set? (31 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1128 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
If you can find them. I thought they were "discontinued"?
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2004-12-11 16:14, David J. Greene said: I agree...I think it boils down to preferences, ethics, and confidence.

I'm totally with you on this.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1128 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
That's why Tabman is making a set of cups for me (he just doesn't know it yet...) Smile
Verno Inferno
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
132 Posts

Profile of Verno Inferno
Is there something inherently wrong with buying a nice set of cups just because you've always wanted a nice set for yourself? Because you like the sound, feel and design? Shoot. Nothin' wrong with wanting high quality props (especially if the match your character, no?)

I think I can take to heart Walter's sentiment that one should not overlook the most important aspects of the routine (what's happening to the balls/loads) and still justify spending a couple hundred or more on something pretty. But Walter, you make an excellent point about not losing sight of what's important about the effect.

Still in the market though... leaning toward Johnson, RNT2, and Riser's...

I'm so lavish Smile
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
David,

I can tell we're friends and we've never met. I guess that's one of the things I like about online communications. Maybe I'll chuck up some wood blocks and turn you a set of cups when the weather warms up a little. What's your favorite kind of wood? I think walnut and cherry are both beautiful American hardwoods.

It's so cold here today that sandpaper doesn't work!!! Smile

-=tabman

Posted: Dec 14, 2004 2:57pm
----------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2004-12-14 14:24, Verno Inferno revealed: Still in the market though... leaning toward Johnson, RNT2, and Riser's...
I'm so lavish Smile

Of these three, my personal choice if I were a performer in the market for a nice set of cups would be the Riser Cups. Jim is one man and he does it first because he loves it and the $$$ (just like me) enables him to continue on.

There's something really satisfying to the individual craftsman about having magicians around the world use and appreciate the props you make.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1128 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
Out of those I am very happy with the RNT2 Steel Monti Cups. I am (now) also fond of the Laurie Ireland Commemorative Cups for outdoors work.
Verno Inferno
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
132 Posts

Profile of Verno Inferno
Quote:
On 2004-12-14 14:57, tabman wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-12-14 14:24, Verno Inferno revealed: Still in the market though... leaning toward Johnson, RNT2, and Riser's...
I'm so lavish Smile

Of these three, my personal choice if I were a performer in the market for a nice set of cups would be the Riser Cups. Jim is one man and he does it first because he loves it and the $$$ (just like me) enables him to continue on.

There's something really satisfying to the individual craftsman about having magicians around the world use and appreciate the props you make.

-=tabman

I look at the photo of Jim's Standard Riser and that tennis ball sitting on top... I still can't see how that ball fits inside that cup! I'm looking at the photo right next to it of the tennis ball inside the cup, yet my eyes still can't believe it.

What a wonderful job.

Thanks for the advice, Tabman and David (those steel cups are gorgeous).
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Thanks Verno, so you live in Chicago? If I wasn't such a hillbilly I wouldn't mind living in Chicago. I could live at Wrigley Field. I love that whole neighborhood and come up to catch a Cubs game at least once a year and stay at that Neighborhood Suites Inn a few blocks from there!!!

Say, David has an extra set of those Ireland Commorative cups. Maybe you could work out a deal with him!!! Smile

-=tabman

Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1128 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
Not the Commemorative...Just the regular. I have 2 commemorative sets. One to use, and one to...commemorative! Thanks
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2003-09-01 09:34, Jason Wethington wrote:
I use the Phoenix Cups. They are a true working set of cups. You can beat them, drop them and slam them together and not worry. The wand that comes with the set is Ironwood and only has two noticable dents after more than a thousand performances.
I have not tried out the Gazzo cups but they are probably very durable as well.
Jason

Jason,

I'm glad that you use the Phoenix set. I am thinking about that set and also the Johnson set and the Gazzo set. A couple questions on the Phoeniz set:

1. I notice that they are smooth sided and taper smaller upwards. Any problem handling them because of that fact? Do they tend to "slip" out of your hanc more easily because of that fact?

2. Does the big lip on the cups make it more difficult to load a small ball under the cup during the "normal" phases of the C&B routine?

3. What size "big" load can be accomodated? Will they take a baseball?

4. Assuming that you do, why do you prefer the Phoenix style cups to the more modern Johnson style cups?

If you prefer, you can PM me or write me at msturg@qwest.net.

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Sure is a huge range of opinions here.
Exactly what I expected.
I use the Johnson Cups and love them.
I like the weight and don't know anyone who owns a set
that doesn't like them.
They are a bit pricey but they are machined instead of spun.
Daniel Faith
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
I haven't seen the Johnson cups but I like everything of theirs I've ever owned. I bet they are nice.

-=tabman

Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
457 Posts

Profile of Kingry
I own Phoenix, Johnson, and Gazzo's. I prefer the feel of a spun cup to the CNC machining. The Phoenix have too little attic space for my taste, but if you are not doing any stacking moves. They are a very servicable heavy duty set. If you are looking at a smaller cup than the Gazzo, Gary Animal also makes a smaller cup he calls the love set that will just hold a tennis ball. The Phoenix will only hold a Doggie size tennis ball or a lacrosse ball. If you can get a good set (that's a big if) the Magic Makers cups are nice for the price you can get them for on Ebay ($45). For some reason, the weight at the top of the Johnson cup bothers me. But there again, I prefer the look of well used copper.
garyanimal
View Profile
Regular user
UK
136 Posts

Profile of garyanimal
Actaully I make Gazzo cup then Animal cup, then Babe (baseball) cup, then the love cup and finally the golf set. I now do the three big sizes with small tops or big tops and you can now (next week). Get them in guild as well as copper. And if your real manly or a big hairy lass you can get the Gazzos, animals, or babes in double thickness- very sturdy and heavy- nearly nuke proof.
Off to bed
themagickeeper
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
55 Posts

Profile of themagickeeper
Hey Guys,

I'm a new user here, and was wondering, since I work now with a cheap set of metal cups, whether there are any sets like the ones that you guys have been talking about that I can get for under $250. I'm a university student and my budget is not that big. Any help would be much appreciated.
Ronald72
View Profile
Loyal user
Holland
249 Posts

Profile of Ronald72
I recomand Aukje from Holland. http://www.cupsandballs.nl Just check it out Smile
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
356 Posts

Profile of Loopback
I would recommend these Penguin cups for just under a hundred.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=742

They have 32 reviews and the average customer review is 5 stars.

They are good cups for the price in my opinion
maharajademagia
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of maharajademagia
Quote:
On 2004-12-12 18:19, Tophie wrote:
I saw Johnny Ace Palmer do his cups and balls routine with the chick finale in a large room with 200+ people and it got a standing ovation!

Before I go out and get the chicks, Mr. Palmer, is there something very different while loading a chick than loading a potato as the final load. I know chick are live stock and that's what scares me.
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
I'll put my balls in any ol' cup. Cup and balls w/ Chop Cup $20, Tops Magic.
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Quote:
On 2011-09-19 04:14, maharajademagia wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-12-12 18:19, Tophie wrote:
I saw Johnny Ace Palmer do his cups and balls routine with the chick finale in a large room with 200+ people and it got a standing ovation!

Before I go out and get the chicks, Mr. Palmer, is there something very different while loading a chick than loading a potato as the final load. I know chick are live stock and that's what scares me.

If you are going to use chicks for a final load make sure you use heavy cups. Even with that, Johnny's cups often walk away while waiting for the final reveal.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Best Cups and Balls set? (31 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL