The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Which Spring Flowers are best? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
There are different manufactures of the Spring Flower. Some come in paper. Some are mylar. Which manufacture makes the best quality, looking Spring Flowers?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dynamike,

After all these years and all the "improvements" made to the productions, my first choice is still the tissue paper type spring flower. Among other things, they also do not create some of the light flash problems of the shiny ones. People can also understand that they are flowers versus something they can't identify.

The very best ones have "leaves" that are made of bookbinding material that is very durable and can bend and stay flat without damage.

Unfortunately, even good spring flowers have to be considered consumables that must be replaced from time to time for a working magician. (Therefore, separating them and giving away single flowers to the ladies from time to time is a great second use for them. It is not rare to see the ladies wearing them in there hair at your next show!)

They add surprise, color and magic to the show. I like them as a production.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Of the ones I have come across, in my opinion, currently Fun Inc. spring flowers are good.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks guys. I happen to notice the following Bill mentioned in a different thread:

http://www.eastcoastmagic.com/flfrfisi.html They look realistic because of the designs. I never seen silk ones before. I wonder how good the quality is. I think they come with a holder too. It does not read how many come in the package, probably only one.

http://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/prod......s_id/553 They are wide. It helps out with visibility. But they are kind of pricey. The holders are sold separate.

Anyone had any experience with any of those yet?
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Dynamike, good to see you again. I have the ones from ECM and like them a lot. They do look like flowers and are not bad in the handling. The holder is a little less that desirable but with a little modification will be fine.

I do like the looks of the SEO flowers and will probably buy some.

The big problem I have with buying spring flowers and producing them as a bouquet is there are just too many colors and not enough greenery. I would like to find supplier that would have lots of greenery and all one color of the flowers. That is the way the Buatier de Kolta orginally did the production and to me looks more natural.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have not yet purchased the silk flowers. I like the way they look in the photo, more like real flowers that you can get at the dollar store.

I do have the double paper flowers and really like the way you can make them seem to bloom from the fingers. They open really wide and it looks good to me.

As for a holder I found one at Daytona Magic. I like this type as it is better then the Vernet, and the gimmick goes with the last flower so you are left clean.
Here: http://www.daytonamagic.com/products/SPR......F-2.html whey they say they are made by Vernet, I don't know, they are not made by Vernet, they are from Asia, Japan or China. I have posted previously on this holder, it is the best for Flowers from Fingertips.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks Darkwing. It is good to see you again too. I will purchase the silk ones tomorrow.
Quote:
On 2011-09-05 13:02, wmhegbli wrote:
As for a holder I found one at Daytona Magic. I like this type as it is better then the Vernet, and the gimmick goes with the last flower so you are left clean.
Here: http://www.daytonamagic.com/products/SPR......F-2.html whey they say they are made by Vernet, I don't know, they are not made by Vernet, they are from Asia, Japan or China.

Bill, I want to make sure we are on the right track. Are you saying the link you shown above is the ones that can be released with the last flower? If so, can it be dropped to the floor with the last flower without any noise distraction? If so, I will for sure purchase it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes the gimmick attaches to the last flower. The 2nd to last flower only has that little clip on the end. That flower releases the final flower. They are light weight plastic, so noise would not be an issue. I would not let the flowers drop to the floor, I always drop them in a container, but that is me. I would say they would not be noticed or noisy, because of the way the double flower opens out and curves over.

I do not know if they will work with the silk flowers, I only have them on my double million flowers, and they work great.

I like this design because of the above arrangement, it is kind of an automatic release.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-09-05 11:57, Darkwing wrote:

The big problem I have with buying spring flowers and producing them as a bouquet is there are just too many colors and not enough greenery. I would like to find supplier that would have lots of greenery and all one color of the flowers. That is the way the Buatier de Kolta orginally did the production and to me looks more natural.

You beat me to it! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
I spoke to Greg Bordner at Abbotts' about making custom spring flowers - all one color - and they can do it.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-09-05 11:57, Darkwing wrote:
I have the ones from ECM and like them a lot. They do look like flowers and are not bad in the handling.

How many come in a package?
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Dynamike,

Eight to a package.

David
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks buddy.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2011-09-06 17:21, Dynamike wrote:
Thanks buddy.

My pleasure. Anytime my friend.

David
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-09-05 23:26, wmhegbli wrote:
The 2nd to last flower only has that little clip on the end. That flower releases the final flower.

I received mine today. I would not have understood how to put on the clip if you did not describe it. I like them. Very clever idea. I am practicing with it by using Vernet's Spring Flowers.

It will take two or weeks until the type of double flowers I want come in. They are making them in Japan at this moment. Once shipped to the magic shop in USA, they will notify me.

I ordered the silk flowers too. I also ordered JB's Manipulation Bills. But this time I wanted the manipulation paper to be blank. I will print flower designs on the blank paper myself. So instead of making bills appear, I will be making paper with floral designs appear.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dynamike, glad I could help!

Would like a review of the Silk Flowers when you get them, do they fold flat? The picture looks great of these, but it does not seem like they would close well.

Hope the flower idea on paper idea works for you. I read once Norm Nielsen had playing cards that looked like sheet music. He discarded the idea after experimenting.

Scott Cervin does a torn sheet music to playing card size pieces of sheet music. Sort of the same idea as Norm Nielsen, but Scott Cervin uses it in his award winning act.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I received the silk flowers today. Yes they do fold flat. But not at flat as the paper ones. I am able to get 15 Velnet/Uday blooms in the special holder. I can only get 7 of the silky flowers in the special holder. The first of the seven is hard to get out because of the tightness. Another reason it is harder to get the first few out of the special holder is because of the material the green outside leaves are made of. I can not tell if it is a thick paper or plastic material. The springs are wider. But the springs do not spring out as wide as the paper flowers. That will be a big plus if they did. The silky flowers look slightly bigger in person than they look on the internet image.

But no problem. All eight silky flowers do fit comfortably in their own holder. The same idea can be done with the silky flower as it is done with the special flower, tape one to the back, but without the clip. Their holder is little plastic as the special holder. And it matches the green as the silky flowers leaves.

I really like the silky flowers. They look realistic and beautiful. It is easy to perform. If you have small hands, it will be hard to hide. I just wish they has a spring that bent out wider because it will show a fuller bloom.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Try the old standard method of restoring a spring flower, with a round dowell or pencil, lightly draw the leaf over the pencil while holding the leaf against the pencil with the thumb. It is the way women or wrapping paper experts curl some ribbon on gift packages.

This move will cause the leaf to curl over/out more.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My bad. I see what my problem is. When folded right, the flowers will bloom fully during appearance. At first when I was closing the flowers, I was putting the excess inside. That was wrong. First close the flower. Wrap the excess around to the back of the leaves. When opened, the excess is already outside making a full bloom. The first way I described, the excess stays in the middle, not making a full bloom. I noticed that I was opening one of my additional packs.

Bill, the special holder measurement we have is 1/2 thick. The silky flower holder is 3/4 thick to hold 8 flowers.

The instructions are terrible to read because of the printing. It seems to have been printed a 1,000 times. Most of the letters are not clear. It seems like reading foreign language.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks Dynamike for your excellent review and opinion on the cloth flowers. I will get some in the near future.

Sorry that the holder is not working with the cloth flowers, but the hobby shop or Ace Hardware sells hobby metal. Easy to buy some brass and bend to fit the cloth flowers. Tin snips and a pliers and it is ready for prime time. Cover with paint or floral tape.

Maybe East Coast Magic can supply better instructions, it is his item he is supplying. Dealers these days, they just complain, I can't inspect every order and yet they will not fix what they are responsible for in the 1st place.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Which Spring Flowers are best? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL