The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » What Would You Like To See At VEnt Haven ConVENTion 2012? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
CatLady
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of CatLady
Quote:
On 2011-09-05 23:05, Dr. Solar wrote:
Sarah, You, my dear, have an innate ability at comedy. Your act was terrific. Perhaps you could run the lecture. Yes, Dunham's lecture to write a five minute comedy act could have been reduced to about 30 seconds, "Use a pencil".

Thank you for your kind word Dr Solar. I certainly don't consider myself an expert but I do love comedy and really enjoy writing my material. If I make it to next year's convention I'd be more than happy to chat to anyone keen about comedy writing.
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Quote:
On 2011-09-15 03:45, CatLady wrote:

From my point of view I'd strongly rather see just ventriloquism (including magic used in a vent routine) than just magic at the convention.
It's quite expensive for me to get to the convention from Australia but well worth it as it is the only ventriloquist convention in the world so I'd definitely like to spend my time seeing as much vent as possible.

I have to agree with this. If someone is doing a trick with their figure, that's one thing, but just magic, or just whatever else, personally, I wouldn't be interested. Like Sarah, I'm going to a convention for ventriloquism, that's what I want to see, that's what I want to devote my attention to and be immersed in.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
My Medicine Show is all about vent. I wasn't asking to do several tricks. Just in into to set the direction. Again, they are allied arts. The illusion of making an inanimate object talk and carry on. As for blueshawk1, I too wish to see ventriloquists there, it is a long trip for me as well. I would just rather see some more accomplished vents as well and not just the gala shows. there are many opportunities for first time exposures, home, church, service clubs, chambers, hometown affairs. If not, then add a couple more open mic stints so we can manage 15-20 vents.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I'll chime in on adding open mics Dr. Solar. There were over 500 people attending this year's convention. There were multiple Open Mic sessions (Senior & Junior - which were judged - plus two General Open Mics which ran after hours) and staff STILL could not accomodate everyone who wanted a chance to perform in front of their peers. Add more? There is NO TIME. Some years we've been in the hall past 2:00 in the morning. You get 15 - 20 performers, each getting 5 - 6 minutes of stage time, plus the required turn-around between acts and the hours start to add up. The crew burnt the candle at both ends since we had to be ready to go the next day for lectures or shows. (And our work starts long before attendees enter the hall.)

The convention is about learning - so first timers are encouraged. It allows others to help them with suggestions as well as boost their confidence. Improving their act BEFORE they go out in front of the public - which helps the art.

Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
There have been many great posts here about the Vent Haven ConVENTion. I just sat back and let your ideas fly and I would now like to give you a few things to think about that I have to consider.

As far as the Open Mic sessions are concerned, my belief is to allow this as a forum for anyone to participate doing vent. Amateur, semi-pro, pro..or even beginners..all are welcome on our stage. True some of the acts need a lot of polish, but we really need a safe place for vents to practice the art without the fear of an actual show. Years ago we had contests, and one of my first acts as Executive Director was to end them. It was a bloodthirsty event, even to the point of people getting mad and not coming back to the ConVENTion when they didn't win (we even had some people sabotaging others acts right before showtime). I've been fussed at by many a "stage mom or dad" about why their kids didn't win..and even was fussed at by a nun! This was not keeping with the harmony I felt was needed at Vent Haven.

I like many of your ideas and I will take bits and pieces of them to try and strengthen our ConVENTion. With our new location next year we may be able to expand the dealers a bit, that's still up in tha air. I've also looked at the schedule almost every way that I can and I just couldn't find another workable solution to when they can be open then what we have now. As far as a special time to visit the museum for dealers only, I can ask but I am sure they would rather concentrate on having it available on Saturday afternoon only. It takes a lot of coordination to get their people together to have chapparones in the various buildings..so they may not want to do this. I can't speak for them, but I can only ask.

I will continue to try and upgrade the ConVENTion with new learning features such as the new Senior Vent University..have moe learning classes on technique, and even do moe with the difficult subject of comedy writing and routining. I am currently working on a book about comedy writing for kidshow vents and it should be done by ConVENTion time..heck, I might even teach a class on it. This isn't in stone..I'm just brainstorming with you all.

Keep the stream of good ideas coming. I am a purist myself..I like to have vent or vent-oriented classes, workshops and lectures. One allied class this year will deal with doing MC work, as many vents are called upon to MC a show and do their act as part of it.

Let's keep working together to make the ConVENTion even bigger and better!

Mark

markwade@kidshowvent.com
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Okay to all of it. I too was up until the end. sure, I didn't have to get up until half hour before it picked up again the next day, but that's me. I applaud all the effort done by all the crew that worked tirelessly on pulling it off no doubt about it. My hats off to all of you. Now, I was a day or so late so maybe there was an open mic time in the initial days before the official kick off that I may have missed as well. Tom, when you lay it out like that, you're right, there was space for quite a few vents. Case closed on my end.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
CatLady
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of CatLady
Quote:
On 2011-09-16 22:47, kidshowvent wrote:

Keep the stream of good ideas coming. I am a purist myself..I like to have vent or vent-oriented classes, workshops and lectures. One allied class this year will deal with doing MC work, as many vents are called upon to MC a show and do their act as part of it.

Ooh, this sounds great. MCing is the sort of thing that when done properly looks incredibly easy but it is actually quite a skill to learn. I'd be very interested in this sort of class!
Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
Mark,

Having also watched all the suggestions and having watched closely the stream of events for the last several years, almost makes me feel sorry for you. I think you know that I would do anything possible to help each year, but I would not want your job - even for money!!! You do a great job at orchastrating an often dischordant group of personalities, and I want to go on the record as telling you that I appreciate your efforts. Think 600!!!

Steve

http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
I know I will be there a newbie in 2012!
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Quote:
On 2011-09-17 11:36, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:
You do a great job at orchastrating an often dischordant group of personalities, and I want to go on the record as telling you that I appreciate your efforts.

That is just one reason "Mark Wade is a Great Man!"

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
Thanks to you all...it isn't the easiest of jobs, but I truly love it and I have a wonderful staff. If I've learned one thing it's to surround yourself with great people. I have the best staff in the entire world!

Oh, by the way, for those early birds who want to get their room registration now, give me a day or two to check with the Marriott to be sure we have the special room rate in place. I'm pretty sure we do, but a phone call tomorow to my contact person will give me the answer. I'd love to see as many "Magic Café" friends as I can at VH next summer!!

Mark
markwade@kidshowvent.com
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Quote:
On 2011-09-16 22:47, kidshowvent wrote:
...As far as the Open Mic sessions are concerned, my belief is to allow this as a forum for anyone to participate doing vent. Amateur, semi-pro, pro..or even beginners..all are welcome on our stage. True some of the acts need a lot of polish, but we really need a safe place for vents to practice the art without the fear of an actual show. Years ago we had contests, and one of my first acts as Executive Director was to end them. It was a bloodthirsty event, even to the point of people getting mad and not coming back to the ConVENTion when they didn't win (we even had some people sabotaging others acts right before showtime). I've been fussed at by many a "stage mom or dad" about why their kids didn't win..and even was fussed at by a nun! This was not keeping with the harmony I felt was needed at Vent Haven...

Mark

markwade@kidshowvent.com

That is extremely disappointing! I remember being in the junior contests and what a wonderful experience it was for many years! A shame parents and poor sportsmanship ruin it for everyone else. At some of the Vent-O-Rama's Jack Coats actually awarded one of his hand carved figures to the young winners.

A couple observations since the contests were discontinued. Seems the quality of the entries has gone down in the few years I've been since. I know when there were contests participants really worked hard on their acts. Seems many of those I've seen in the open mics who were at the same point technically, didn't put the effort into polishing their act because it didn't matter. Like I say, just from the few years I've been back since the contests ended.

And I haven't quite figured out the need for a junior, senior, and general open mic set up. Daytime night time? Is their really a need for the daytime open mics if there isn't a contest and there is a general open mic for everyone? Is there a limit as to the number of people in the general evening open mics? If not, seems the daytime open mics with their limit of 10 each could be fed into the general open mics.

Just a thought.

Gary
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Gary,
The Senior and Junior open mics are critiqued by a panel of professionals. The performers not only get their scores and suggestions to improve, but also a DVD of their performance. The general open mics do not get that added attention.
Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Thanks Tom,

At least that justifies the separate sessions and gives some of the benefits that the contests used to give. If the participants take it seriously, the critique is worth more than a trophy anyway!

Gary
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
I just saw this on Worldvents and thought it'd be worth posting... I think this would be interesting for a convention!

Gary

"A few days ago I mentioned that I was hosting the Fl Vent group.
I aksed my friend Jim Teter to be our guest.
This man is amazing. He brougt 5 heads ad 2 bodies of the presidents.He talked about his career and the presidents.
He gave each atendee a 10 page phamplet of How To Be A Ventriloquist plus 2 colored pictures of he and the the presidents.
This is a man that has done showes around the the world encluding the WHITE HOUSE.I know for a fact that he was getting 5 to 10 K a show.
I feel that the VENT CONVENTION is not really open to suggestions
but feel if they invited Jim Teter to give a lecture at one of our
conventions it would be a highlite of the whole convention.
He is now retired and might even be receptive to donating JFK or another president to the museum.
This is a man that used to visit W.S.Burger at his home before it was a museum."
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
Gary, thanks for bringing this up and I'm sorry the people at World Vents gripe without knowing the situation. As a matter of fact I DO listen and take into consideration what others suggest. Jim Teater was asked TWICE before to be a part of the Vent Haven ConVENTion years ago. In those days we switched ConVENTion Chairmen each year so Jerry Layne asked him, and I asked him , when it was my turn to run the ConVENTion. Both times Jim Teater couldn't give us a commitment as he was on the cruise ships and we didn't have enough money to match what he was getting. I never thought ill of Jim for that..he was being absolutely honest with me and I respect him for that. The vent community doesn't realize it's hard to get some of the pros to attend. We don't have the money to get them, and they don't always have the same feel for the ConVENTion that most of us do. It's just another job to them. Also some of the pros won't attend VH because they don't want their "A" material ripped off. We try to monitor videoing and note taking, but it still happens. We can't 100% guarantee that their material won't show up in some other person's act.

My job as Executive Director is to bring the best acts and lectures that I can each year. We try to mix it up..try new people..but the point is you don't build a ConVENTion booking acts that are worse than the people sitting in the audience watching them. We don't want people walking away saying "Boy, I'm a lot better than thay guy (or girl)", although sometimes they still do. Folks, it's a real juggling act to get it right and I will do my level best to bring you the best.

Now that Jim Teater is retired it might be the time to ask again. Before retirement it was not in the cards for the reason I mentioned above.

Mark

markwade@kidshoevent.com
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
Also, the Jujnior and Senior mics are set up the way that my buddy Tom Crowl mentioned. It's not a free for all..they actually do get good critiques and a video so they can see themselves in action. It's an educational experience that we are trying to foster.

Mark

markwade@kidshowvent.com
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Quote:
On 2011-10-02 22:11, kidshowvent wrote:
Also, the Junior and Senior mics are set up the way that my buddy Tom Crowl mentioned. It's not a free for all..they actually do get good critiques and a video so they can see themselves in action. It's an educational experience that we are trying to foster.

To run an Open Mic, we may see 'OK' acts but we foster the educational experience via video and critiques.
To run a competition, we see more quality acts but we foster possible negative responses when competitors lose.

Man, that's hard to balance, isn't it?
Revroy
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Revroy
This will be my first time, I'm very excited. I've been doing magic, Chalkart, and some vent for around 24 years as a Children's pastor / Evangelist. I've had lots of training for my trade,but never much I'n vent. I've watched/listened a few training video and audio programs over the years. But never any professional in class teaching.

All that said, I have decided to make 2012 the year of VENT for my self.

I hope to get a lot of out of this convention.

1. I like the idea of a Senior college.

2. Great training from to professionals. (which seems to be the norm for this conference anyway.)

3. A attendees dealer table.
(I have attended several magic conferences in the past that had a 'flea market" table setup ran by the conference. The attendees would bring things to sell and would pay a percentage of the selling price to the convention. This would help all parties involved the convention would make an amount, the seller would make some money and the buyers could find great deals on nice second hand props. )

4. I'm also looking forward to/ hoping to meet some of my favorite professionals in this great craft.
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Revroy's post reminded me of the very popular auction at the yearly Meeting of the Minds of the Psychic Entertainers Association. Members bring unwanted items from their collections to be auctioned off the Sunday morning of the convention. A certain percentage of the sale price goes to the organization, which uses the money for our Helping Hands Fund. (This is used to assist members who otherwise could not afford to attend the convention.)

In the case of the ConVENTion, a percentage could go to the Vent Haven Museum. Many of us probably have figures, puppets, etc that are sitting unused. An auction would be a convenient way to dispose of these items and help the museum, too. This would, of course, be in addition to the raffle.

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » What Would You Like To See At VEnt Haven ConVENTion 2012? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL