The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Keeping a spector hushed after d*** r****** (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
influencologist
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of influencologist
Hello everyone!

I have been invited to do a 30 Minute show in a year 9 Social Studies class in about 2 weeks time, normally in my 30 minute routine I would perform reminiscence however I know that high school students would most likely figure out the d*** r****** (not sure if I should mask simple concepts like d*** r******, let me know if I need to or not) due to the fact that they will talk to the person afterwards to ask them about the trance, I have always been confident in using reminiscence in front of crowds where no one really knows anyone but with everyone in the class knowing everyone, I think the effect might be ruined. I was thinking about leading onto another effect straight after as a way to blur everyone's experience with the reminiscence but reminiscence is probably my strongest effect so I don't really want to upstage it with another effect.

Let me know your thoughts on my issue/problem.

Cheers, Influencologist
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Hi Influ,
Have a read of the sticky thread at the top of the Penny forum. It will give you the info you need about what's acceptable to post. When you have 50 posts you can access the secret area where these topics may be discussed.

PS do you have a first edition of Pure Effect? I've been searching for one for a long time.

All the best
Sean
influencologist
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-09-06 01:58, Sean Giles wrote:
Hi Influ,
Have a read of the sticky thread at the top of the Penny forum. It will give you the info you need about what's acceptable to post. When you have 50 posts you can access the secret area where these topics may be discussed.

PS do you have a first edition of Pure Effect? I've been searching for one for a long time.

All the best
Sean

Thanks Sean, I should of really read those sticky threads first *blonde moment*

I am not fortunate enough to own a copy however I was helping a local magician sort his massive book/magazine collection and I saw the first pure effect edition and took it home for the night, I read most of the book... was a sleepless night, the guy did not know how valuable the book was and offered to give it to me for $10 but I fought the urge to rip him off and told him the real value of the book, needless to say he now hardly lets the book out his sight and doesn't let people borrow it. I now wish I didn't skim over the "lift" portion of the book Smile
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1039 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Pm'd you the name of some resources.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
I like this thread Smile

Collectively, we are making a lot of progress.....

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
Quote:
On 2011-09-06 01:46, influencologist wrote:
I would perform reminiscence

Cheers, Influencologist

arrr...
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Answer: mind erase all witnesses
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2011-09-06 02:09, influencologist wrote:

I am not fortunate enough to own a copy however I was helping a local magician sort his massive book/magazine collection and I saw the first pure effect edition and took it home for the night, I read most of the book... was a sleepless night, the guy did not know how valuable the book was and offered to give it to me for $10 but I fought the urge to rip him off and told him the real value of the book, needless to say he now hardly lets the book out his sight and doesn't let people borrow it. I now wish I didn't skim over the "lift" portion of the book Smile

The first edition is more a booklet.
You read slowly Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
Scott M
View Profile
Special user
Apex, NC
524 Posts

Profile of Scott M
MD...I just got a Galaxy 10.1 Tablet and am discovering apps for the first time...your clip would make a nice app!

-Scott M
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
It is not a bad idea to use as an induction either.

Fism flash and a pen anyone?

Also make a hilarious ending to demonstrations...

Talk about heavy psychic activity... Getting more and more paranoid as talk continues...

Then pull your sunglasses and neurolize them and start talking about an obvious cover up story and laugh it off with the audience...

Or...

(pulls out sunglasses and flashes homemade neurolizer)

(matter of fact) You believe this is a BAD idea. Not only is it ridiculous but no one would get the joke and the idea of "laughing it off WITH the audience will not be an option...
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
marklock
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of marklock
Influ,

I perform primarily for teenagers. I think your concern is valid, not only because of the possible discussion afterward, but they may know enough about the person to know what places they visit and what special memories were actually like for the selected person (they may have even been present for the event you are trying to "read") etc. Imagine someone describing, say, their birthday and someone blurts out, "I was there it wasn't like that!".

I also believe effects like this require a certain amount of command over the audience, and that can be very difficult in a school among teens that know each other, you are the outsider, you don't have the same power they collectively have as an audience. So you need to be wise in how you manage your audience and earn their trust. That said, with the right scripting, you can render anything said following DR pretty unreliable.

I love performing for teens, it keeps you on your toes.

Best to you,

Mark
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
After ten minutes, I finally figured out what he was hyphenating. *a** t***** has an excellent text on this subject called **e a********n *w***l*, though * ******** *** ** *********** by ********* ************ is better.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Quote:
On 2011-09-06 19:11, marklock wrote:
I love performing for teens, it keeps you on your toes.

Mark performs where angels fear to tread and clearly loves doing it. That's because he really love his audience. Respect.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
(holds fist in air)

Respec.
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
influencologist
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Arg, teens. yuck. yeah I won't do what I planned, I'll just finish with a nice Q&A, thanks guys Smile
influencologist
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-09-06 15:35, parmenion wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-06 02:09, influencologist wrote:

The first edition is more a booklet.
You read slowly Smile

Dyslexia isn't fun. shh. Smile
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
It's a shame lift is not on torrent, I've also only reminiscense.
I'm wonder why the personn put reminiscense didn't put in the same time lift?
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Mentalismman
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Mentalismman
I've witnessed a Quite famous mentalist in the netherlands talking himself out of someone figuring out an Dual Reality effect perfectly.
he did a Sender/Receiver type effect, and when the spectators(who aperently spoke with eachother) met him after they confronted him about it, he told them calmly and cofidently, it was becouse of hypnotic ifluence, how diffrent people experience the sending and receiving in diffrent ways, and how memories could be warped while on stage. pulled it off beautifully
mpicard
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of mpicard
Quote:
On 2011-09-07 09:59, Mentalismman wrote:
I've witnessed a Quite famous mentalist in the netherlands talking himself out of someone figuring out an Dual Reality effect perfectly.
he did a Sender/Receiver type effect, and when the spectators(who aperently spoke with eachother) met him after they confronted him about it, he told them calmly and cofidently, it was becouse of hypnotic ifluence, how diffrent people experience the sending and receiving in diffrent ways, and how memories could be warped while on stage. pulled it off beautifully

I love stories like this.
You make your statement with conviction and as if you believee it yourself, you would be surprised what you can get away with. I have a natural talent for that, even so that when I say something to my kids growing up they would turn to my wife and say " is that true?" most of the time she didn't even know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Keeping a spector hushed after d*** r****** (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL