The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Reviews ONLY for Science Friction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Following the two lengthy and often quite tedious threads on Science Friction I am opening this one just for reviews of the product.

Please, ONLY post here if you have bought Science Friction and can give your opinion on the product. By all means compare it to other products but only if you have used them both but please, PLEASE, keep this thread for reviews only.

This thread is not for speculation or for questions regarding advertising, it is purely for honest reviews, be they good, bad or indifferent.

Phew Smile Reviews anyone?
viler
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
186 Posts

Profile of viler
Lukebrady wrote this review in the other thread.

Quote:
On 2011-09-06 23:02, LukeBrady wrote:
PRODUCT IN HAND!!! Here is an honest review, as I have seen the full Science Friction presentation IN PERSON!
I do not know anyone from Card Shark, nor do I know the guy from Lybrary.com
NO ONE told me to write this review.

The Presentation:
A LOT of time has been taken into consideration on the overall look of the product. The case, the graphics and amount of stuff you get. How many times have we all purchased an effect get it, and the gimmick is just rocking around in the DVD case and you expectation is dropped before you even open it? We have all had the happen to us. Science Friction comes in a clear box so you see "said" spray and you get a DVD case and some gimmicks. Without going into much detail you get a really nice card wallet for gimmicked cards, an entire Phoenix Deck of Gaffs, templates to make your own gaffs (as I am a Bicycle user here in the states) and actually for different size cards as well. You do get a TON of stuff so don't let the price seem to high. It really is a "kit" and I think they fell short in marketing that is more than a spray.
The DVD presentation is good. Great cgi with the gecko. Personally, in my huimble opinion, I think the editing could have been tighter. I like the mad scientist schtik and the chapters on the presentations were great. I am not trying to sound mean or show off but being a technical director at an ABC station I really thought the chapter comparing the SF, R/S, 3M took for ever! They could have tightened that segment down instead of seeing him write out every little thing... They could have bullet pointed that as he spoke about each one. It just seemed like the writing part took for ever. Although keep in mind, yes he compares pros and cons to R/S, 3M products AND SF. Really some great points in that section.

The Gimmicks
Although you can make your own and it teaches you with great instruction, they really drove it home here! Each effect talks about the difference in the gimmick and how to create them and set up every part in CLEAR DETAIL! I thought this was the best part of the DVD. It really walked you through every part and as mentioned before it comes with templates for different size cards and styales of cards on how to make them. Truly it takes less than 5 minutes to make a gimmick that will last up to 200 performances. Although, I have not been through 200 performaces so I am not sure how accurate that is and really it depends on how you manage you cards. But clear detailon how to make gimicks.

The Routines
The routines are great. Whether you are looking to clean up a double lift or try something new there are some great routines on here. I am actually quite fond of one that could be a simple packet trick. Don't even need the rest of the deck. Its a 3 card sandwich effect where the signed card jumps around in the CLEANEST POSSIBLE MANNER! It really is simple and VISUAL! The handling will take some time to get down but I think it is well worth it.

In clsing, I have never worked with a material quite like this. My friend Kenton Knepper has a great routine with a blindfold and cards and uses something similar but I think they have put a lot of thought into this KIT that you get. The spray will last for a long.... long time! The deck of gaff cards will give you endless possibilities and the instruction isn't bad either. I really think it is a winner.
It may not suit everyone but keep in mind with some practise you can have some great card magic! I don't think you will be the next Dai Vernon but it IS A WORKER!
As a professional walk around strolling magician I would give it a solid 88%

Well Done Card Shark... well Done!
-Luke
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Tak Buddy -

3 Threads for SF... I'm getting tired just thinking about it lol. Whew!
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
LukeBrady
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of LukeBrady
Been a few days since I have been on here. Thank you jugglestruck and viler for reposting it. I hope it helps people. Now off to read Brett's review!
jesse_james_mcguire
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jesse_james_mcguire
Okay, Since SaySold1 wrote such an excellent review it makes my job easier! So I will keep this bare bones since I agree with most everything SaySold1 said in his review. Smile

I'm not a Professional Magi, but I have a deck of cards in hand almost everyday for at least 4-6 hours and my point being that I'm no slouch with cards so I can honestly weight the benifits of SF... I'm also not a fan boy of anygroup so I'm being totally honest here.

I have been playing with SF (Science Friction) for about 2 weeks now, and have been honestly trying many diffrent applications for this product and I'm fine with SF for what it is, (here it comes) but! In my opinion SF is way overpriced. That being said let me tell you why...

The Packaging for SF is top notch, the gimmicks are cool, but most Magi have them laying around. The wallett was a nice addition and the templets to aid in application of SF are handy... It would have been really cool if the templet put a nano type pattern on the card.. I understand all these costs must be covered with the set price, but its still to much..

Now for the Can of SF.... After looking at the can and reading the warnings. I would urge you to use caution when spraying this. Please be in a well ventilated area, Just like any other product on the market of this type- "it's flamable" and possibly toxic, so read the instructions on the can, and the warnings.

In my opinion the Real value here is the DVD, but still not woth $99! The production value of the DVD was above par and the effects were good, but the sound was a little off at times.. To me the only routine that stood out was the 3 Card Monti routine.

One big gripe that I have with SF is that after 30-40 min of use the coating started to peel off the card, but the fix is easy. You just peel of the patch of ****** and respray the card. Now 30 min or so maybe excessive for some people, but not for me.

So what exactly is SF then.... (I'm not going to touch on the chemical side here because that's a different issue. What I'm talking about here is what is the application SF is.)

SF is an AID to help people DL (double lift) or TL (triple lift) or hide an extra card with little practice using friction, but SF does not stick cards togeteher like Spray Mount...

SF would be most benificial to the beginner who has trouble doing a good DL or TL...

For me the best use that I found for SF was to spray the bottom card of my Haunted deck that I got from Tony Chris.. This made it possible to use the deck on any surface..

In short I think it's best to just put in the time and learn good sleight of hand.

SF... I give it 2.5 out of 5.... Because the DVD was good...... I think 30-50$ range would be a better price for this product.

Thanks for allowing me to try this out SaySold1....
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Thanks for the review, Jesse! The more I hear the more interesting this is. Wonder when the initial pre-orders are going to be shipped? It'll be nice to finally give SF a try for myself.

Thanks again for the review!

Jim
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Thanks Jesse!

Appreciate your insights and views always - I don't have 1/4 of the card handling abilities as you so I guess I'm more novice.

Just as an example I was doing Jay Sankey's Blackpool Effect all day today with a SF treated top card and it was so much cleaner than my crappy DL for the final reveal.

I'm not experiencing any great loss of material on the treated cards either - not yet anyway.

But again thanks for reviewing Jesse - I'm sure more will be forthcoming.

BRETT
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
So if my DL's suck, can I just treat the whole deck and use the treated portion of the card when I need it? Or do I need to only treat a few cards and keep track of those cards in the deck? Thanks. Or you can PM me if I am being to specific here.
jesse_james_mcguire
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jesse_james_mcguire
If this can help you then why not use it.... I wonder how SF will taste on toast... I'm gonna mess around with SF on an envelope and billit for a mentalism application.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2011-09-06 04:31, jugglestruck wrote:
Following the two lengthy and often quite tedious threads on Science Friction I am opening this one just for reviews of the product.

Please, ONLY post here if you have bought Science Friction and can give your opinion on the product. By all means compare it to other products but only if you have used them both but please, PLEASE, keep this thread for reviews only.

This thread is not for speculation or for questions regarding advertising, it is purely for honest reviews, be they good, bad or indifferent.

Phew Smile Reviews anyone?

The only problem with that is unless you have the power to change rules around here this is NOT what this thread is for. This is THE LATEST AND GREATEST thread where this forum is provided as a place where folks can discuss the latest rumors, read announcements and speculate about the obvious hyperbole surrounding many of the upcoming products that are released into magicdom. Will they be genuine miracles or mere rhetoric? We ponder the question...

With already more than one review thread on this very same product already on the Café, why another one? Posts from the other thread are being copied and pasted to this thread for what reason? (lol)
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
This has been pointed out before on the "other" thread and I have grovelled for my mistake.
I think we are now just waiting for the powers that be to move it to the relevent spot.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-09-07 01:16, saysold1 wrote:
Tak Buddy -

3 Threads for SF... I'm getting tired just thinking about it lol. Whew!

Guess you missed some of the Mickey Silver thread propagations.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Reviews ONLY for Science Friction (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL