The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » No Touch CAAN by Devin Knight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Thanks for clarifying that, still a free choice and appears totally impossible.

Different method, the number and card are both FREE choices. You have no idea what card or number will be selected. It is that clean. IN fact the person need never show you the card, he counts down to the selected number and then turns over the card which you placed at that position. It is the same. No kidding,you don't have to know the card. He can select one and secretly look at it without showing you. This proves you have no control over the outcome. Remember at NO time do you touch either deck!

Devin
entermagic
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of entermagic
Quote:
On 2011-09-07 11:55, Devin Knight wrote:
Thanks for clarifying that, still a free choice and appears totally impossible.

Different method, the number and card are both FREE choices. You have no idea what card or number will be selected. It is that clean. IN fact the person need never show you the card, he counts down to the selected number and then turns over the card which you placed at that position. It is the same. No kidding,you don't have to know the card. He can select one and secretly look at it without showing you. This proves you have no control over the outcome. Remember at NO time do you touch either deck!

Devin

So there is a force and you said there is no force.
I call this misleading. I can say also that in Eyes of Darkness there is no force
because the performer has no idea what the number and card is but this doesn't mean there is no force involved.

MP
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
There is NO force, the person has a free choice of where he cuts, if he doesn't like his selection, he can replace it and cut again. He doesn't have to cut, he can deal cards face up and stop at any card he wishes.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Edit
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
GeneTony
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of GeneTony
A force is when you control the selection of a specific card. There is no force whatsoever here. The spec has a completely free choice. It doesn't matter to the magician which card is selected.
Some think Houdini used trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
In Eyes of Darkness there is a force of the card. Also the person can't change his mind. IN my version, if he cuts to a card or deals to a card and doesn't want it, he can change his mind. I know people who bought Eyes of Darkness and say they prefer my version. This is not to say Eyes of Darkness isn't an excellent approach, just a different approach.

Devin
entermagic
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of entermagic
Quote:
On 2011-09-07 12:07, Devin Knight wrote:
There is NO force, the person has a free choice of where he cuts, if he doesn't like his selection, he can replace it and cut again. He doesn't have to cut, he can deal cards face up and stop at any card he wishes.

Ask this question: Inside the eyes of darkness the spetator has free choice on
the cut??? Can he changes mind? The answer is yes he can chanfe mind and there is no
force, this doesn't mean there is no force: The card or the number id forced and I bet like in
your CAAN.

MP
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Those who bought my version have attested on here, that no force is used. So let's leave it at that.
entermagic
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of entermagic
Quote:
On 2011-09-07 12:18, Devin Knight wrote:
Those who bought my version have attested on here, that no force is used. So let's leave it at that.

Thank you for the clarification.

Maybe there is a different meaning for force.
No force for me meaning: "Card and Number are freely selected (The method is not important, if this happens using the dices or by cutting a small packet from the deck etc.) and there no relationship between card and number. If a card influences the number or vice versa, you have again a force."

No force at all meaning that my sentence is false. If my sentence is false apologize and I have to say congratulation for your effect.

MP
robd
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of robd
I'm being thick here I think, but I'm reading this as 'the xxth card in one deck is also the xxth card in another deck'. What am I misunderstanding?

I have a newborn, my brain is broken Smile

Quote:
On 2011-09-07 11:53, doriancaudal wrote:
Very nice effect, congrats Devin!
But the description of the effect made at the beginning of this thread in not "exactly" true. Here is what it is said (I've only quoted the suspicious part):
------------------------------------------------------------
The person selects a card that is REALLY unknown to you! He shows it to the audience. If he doesn't like the card, he can replace it and select another card, no kidding!

To ensure a random number, a block of cards is cut off by the participant. He counts the cards aloud.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

In reality, the block of cards is cut off BEFORE the card is seen (selected), so when the card is chosen, the number is also chosen. When you read this description, you think that the card is selected, and THEN the spectator cuts a block a of cards, which is not exactly true.
I don't go into much details not to expose anything on the forum, but I just wanted to clarify Smile
Gorecki
View Profile
Loyal user
My servante is currently filled with
267 Posts

Profile of Gorecki
Well, robd, from Dorian's post, it does sound like the card AND number are selected together from a single cut.
If that is the case, I'm with you -- I fail to see the amazement.

But I mean, we've got to have missed something. (No sarcasm in my comment -- I truly believe it can't be that. Doesn't make sense.)
tester2006
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of tester2006
That's what I was thinking at first too robd so I may be slow as well. That's why I was hoping for a demo. This has to be more sophisticated than 2 decks in the exact same order.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2011-09-07 14:49, Gorecki wrote:
it does sound like the card AND number are selected together from a single cut.

It IS actually the case.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Gorecki
View Profile
Loyal user
My servante is currently filled with
267 Posts

Profile of Gorecki
Thanks for chiming in, Dorian, but I MUST be understanding this wrong.

I ask someone to cut, say, the blue deck, and look at the card where they cut. I also ask them to count how many cards they cut.
Then I ask them to count down in the red deck to the same number... and they find the same card.

Really?
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
No someone takes a deck and either cuts off blocks onto the table or deals cards, stopping anytime he likes.

Devin
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2011-09-07 15:08, Gorecki wrote:
Really?

Really
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
I think the effect has some merit and for hobbyists not wanting to do the ACAAN effect with sleights good value for money.

The actual method used I wrote down in my own collection of effect ideas 5 years ago and assumed it must have been invented well before that and thought nothing more of it .

To be clear the choice of card is a free choice whilst number is unknown, it is dependent on the actions of choosing the card , therefore a force under my definition of the term.

The card is a free choice but there is a minor restriction which if the spectator were not to follow the performers instructions, the effect would fail.

I did look at Tommy's effect and the methods are different . Of the two I feel Eyes of Darkness method is hidden better.
I read the advert to mean a card was chosen and then a packet cut from the deck to form the number .. This is not the case and would not have purchased the ebook since I had this method in my own notes ..

However 3 effect for the price is good value

Andy
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2859 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On 2011-09-07 15:51, a brown 1968 wrote:
I read the advert to mean a card was chosen and then a packet cut from the deck to form the number .. This is not the case...

I was reading the advert the same way, Andy, so thanks for pointing this out! But then again, I was expecting a catch like that... Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
I have not performed yet but the pdf provides the presentation in a way that I believe hides the method
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4701 Posts

Profile of RNK
So let me try to get this correct? A person cuts freely to a card- the number of cards he cut to get to his chosen card IS the number he uses with the other deck when he counts to get to his freely cut to card from the other deck? Is this right?

RNK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » No Touch CAAN by Devin Knight (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL