The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Conan, Troll Hunter, and other good times (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Saw the new Conan last Friday. Have to admit it was better than I expected. As a film, I actually enjoyed it. There has been criticism of the way the fights were edited, but I didn't think it was that bad. Definitely seen worse.
What I liked: The film had a lot of what made the original Howard tales great. There were plenty of fights and women, as in the books. There was a Lovecraftian sort of reference, which really made me happy because of the association between Howard and Lovecraft. You get to see Conan with a pirate crew. That's cool because his time as a pirate was a pretty important time in the written sources.

What I didn't like: Brown eyes again. Apparently the filmmakers didn't pay that much attention to the written source. Also, too many references to the original Schwarzenegger film. Okay, I like the original Conan movie a lot, but when they said this version was going to forget about the other films and focus on the written material, I had certain expectations.
They kept so many elements. The "Riddle of Steel" is referenced as "The Mystery of Steel." The basic story was essentially the same, and it's still a major departure from the written material.
As far as the pirate time, where's Belit? That would have been cool to see.

That wasn't a very well written review. I'm tired.

Also finally got to rent Troll Hunter.
I recommend it. This was the best use of the "documentary" style in a movie I've ever seen. Better than Blair Witch by a lot.
It was funny too. Good funny. Not silly funny. Not parodic or stupid.
It was also exciting with some good intense action scenes that had my girlfriend shouting at the screen.

Today, I've been watching the "Ultimate Royce Gracie" dvd again. I got it and watched it a few months ago, and seeing it again is just reminding me how good it is.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I was concerned when I heard the new Conan voice. I read the Savage Sword of Conan back in the day. I also read the Red Sonja books and the movie that was made was a travesty.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Red Sonja was a terrible movie. But, if one can disconnect it from the source material, it works okay as fun 80's camp.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Conan, Troll Hunter, and other good times (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL