We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Free Crazy man's Handcuffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Villa
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Villa
I've just stumbled across the website of "Canada's Premier Comedy Magician" to discover he has a video giving the explanation for "Crazy man's handcuffs", albeit he calls the effect the linking rubber bands.

Now this to me is very wrong! Especially since he shows a live performance of him doing it and getting great reactions.

What type of magician advertises his services, shows great audience reactions, then gives away the method?

I don't want to post his site to protect this great effect.

Villa
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
The magician you are speaking of is a local magician in my area and the exposure of the trick is in a magician’s section. Not all of the general public knows about it. Not to mention there are tons of places to find it on line. Rod Boss just is one more.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Villa
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Villa
Erm no, it actually appears on the general site on the video link, no mention of "magicians only".

There are other sites that give a different method of the same effect.

However, my main point is why advertise as a magician and give away your effects. I too have video clips on my site showing the effects only, why would I then give them away?

I can't see me walking up to a table, doing my routine then saying "Visit my website and you'll see how it was all done".

The boomerang band maybe because it is more of a stunt than a magic effect, but CMH is a very magical effect when performed well. Indeed, his clip with the folks at the table show just how magical an effect it is.

Sorry, but this is wrong, wrong, WRONG.

There are enough secret gathering sites already.

You can e-mail your thoughts to him! rod@rodboss.com

Villa
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
OK, we can agree to disagree.

That's what free speech is all about! Smile
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
I'm sure this magician is delighted that his site has been plugged yet again on the Café. He gets more hits from people being tipped off to his site here than he would ever get otherwise.

I have trouble being concerned about the effect being exposed on this magician's site. It hurts him more than it hurts me. The only people who see this site are either a) people who have seen this magician perform and want to find out more about him, or b) people who have found out through this forum that you can learn CMH for free.

No one I perform CMH for will have seen this site, and it is extremely unlikely that they'd be able to find out how I did it by looking for the secret on the Internet.

Also, if people want to learn the effect for free via this site, they're cheating themselves, because all they're going to learn is one effect (and a stunt). There are other sources for CMH and its variations that offer much more.

Yes, it's exposure, and should be frowned upon. But as exposures go, this one is pretty toothless.
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
I have to agree and disagree! Neale, it is not in a magician's section, it is under Fun Stuff and Learn Some Magic. This does constitute exposure and he shouldn't have done it. However, I agree with Barry that it will hurt him more than anyone else. I would not teach a great piece of magic like that on a site and send my potential clients there, I want them to experience the magic, not turn it into simple tricks!

Enough said, he has too much press on this already!
Catch me on Twitter @RobertSixx or Facebook -- Robert Sixx
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
This post got me to thinking is this really exposure? Or can it be considered a magic lesson. I think exposure of magic typically has some type of malicious motive. In this instance the magician is not simply exposing the trick but giving a lesson on how to perform it. We as magicians are so protective of are art form that sometimes we overreact to something that is really nothing. I think the odds of someone viewing this video, and then seeing another live performance of it would probably be pretty slim, and even if it did happen would they remember exactly how it was done or be rude enough to belt out, “I know how you did that."
MariusHaugan
View Profile
New user
Norway
91 Posts

Profile of MariusHaugan
What is the URL to that website? I want to check it out. Sounds like the guy is giving away too much.
"There is no branch of conjuring that so fully repays the amateur for his labor and study as sleight-of-hand with cards."
S.W Erdnase
Villa
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Villa
"In this instance the magician is not simply exposing the trick but giving a lesson on how to perform it"

Is that not what the masked magician was doing??

I agree that it is very unlikely that anybody I perform this effect for will find his site. Does this make it OK ?

I think not, any exposure of a marketed effect is unethical and wrong.

If I exposed one of your favorite effects on my site, how would you feel?

Villa
boblinds
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
111 Posts

Profile of boblinds
I just think it compromises his integrity as an artist. Far more appealing, I think, are the videos of him in performance that DEMONSTRATE what his skills as a magician are. From the delighted expressions on the audience, he clearly charms the crowd. Unfortunately at the bottom of the page where you view his performance videos are links to the places where he reveals his rubber band secrets.

Exposing an elegant little effect like this, even if it is available elsewhere, crosses the line IMHO and is really undesirable.

Also, I think it implies that some effects are just throwaways that you can freely expose with no consequences. Of course, most magicians learn early on that there are no throwaway effects, only throwaway performances. It only takes one time being amazed because someone did a "simple" TT effect that you dismissed when you read it in Tarbell, (for instance), to realize that anything can be brilliant when performed brilliantly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Free Crazy man's Handcuffs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL