The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Magic Review » » Wizard Product Review 68. Redemption, The light, Wormhole (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
What those are thinking about with reference to Industrial Revelation is an effect called Needle through Brass Block.
On another post in the Café it was also brought up and grant confirmed the same working.
pennjarr
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of pennjarr
I think craig explained the weight issue very well, he opens with this and lets everyone handle it and leaves it on the table while he gets on with the rest of the act. So he is not carrying it all the time, just between tables.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-09-08 19:11, pennjarr wrote:
I think craig explained the weight issue very well, he opens with this and lets everyone handle it and leaves it on the table while he gets on with the rest of the act. So he is not carrying it all the time, just between tables.

He may have said that, but I seriously doubt it as you don't under any circumstances leave the block on a table for spectators to examine to their hearts content. Don't get me wrong as it is indeed a great trick, and I've had it for some time now, but NO freaking way can a spectator be allowed to examine it for a lengthy time.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:

Hi:
I miss that explanation...anyway, that would make sense if he only work one table per night.
My issue is carrying the block all the night in the pockets, do only for one table or do for every table it weight a lot!
Thanks,
-H
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2011-09-08 20:02, gaffed wrote:
Quote:

He may have said that, but I seriously doubt it as you don't under any circumstances leave the block on a table for spectators to examine to their hearts content. Don't get me wrong as it is indeed a great trick, and I've had it for some time now, but NO freaking way can a spectator be allowed to examine it for a lengthy time.

Agree !
Follow Me...
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I thought that was a great idea of Dave's to combine "Twilight Angels" and "Light".

Personally, I still like the Kennedy Mystery Box, but I thought this was an example of excellent routining.

Also liked Dave's performance of IR with the card folded into thirds.

Robert
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I find the weight of IR to be an issue also. It is not a secret and many creative ways to carry it have been posted on the forums. People make all sorts of clothing adjustments for tricks that they love. Just part of the equation.
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Quote:
Dave and Craig are not the owners of the World Magic Store and are not doing their reviews to promote the stores products.

Dave and Craig do own WMS.

Kyle
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 00:23, Hansel wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agree !

Gents,

With respect, I disagree (from some working experience).
Two factors - first, people only give it a cursory tap and poke if you routine it well enough. Secondly, I would hope your following effect(s) have more than enough appeal to keep peoples attention, rather than a prop that to you, is incidental.

Charlie
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 16:34, puggo wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 00:23, Hansel wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agree !

Gents,

With respect, I disagree (from some working experience).
Two factors - first, people only give it a cursory tap and poke if you routine it well enough. Secondly, I would hope your following effect(s) have more than enough appeal to keep peoples attention, rather than a prop that to you, is incidental.

Charlie

Charlie:

With all y respect I disagree in one aspect from you...People tends to examine the block as H**LL!
Actually I know about a friend of mine who a spectator starts to pull the block and almost discover the secret!
In my honest and humble opinion if the block is examined for a period of time can be discovered how it works.
Thanks,
-H
Follow Me...
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
How about someone stabbing at it with a butter knife! Hey...someone here had their IR damaged shortly after he got it (in a very bad area) by someone doing just that albeit it may have been the knife he used in performing it. Sorry, but I'll kindly have to disagree and stick with never let spectator's handle any gimmicked item that can either be damaged, and or possibly the chance of discovering the "secret" out of view. I believe it's called "audience management"? We all at one time or another get caught and having that moment of embarrassment, but that just comes along with performing. However, it only takes one time with an expensive item to have it damaged and I'm not rich enough to take that chance with a $125.00 trick. Dealing with friend's or acquaintances is one thing, and at times they can be a pain in the rump simply because they know you. But, dealing with strangers, who are often quite inebriated even though it my not be apparent, is a whole other ball of wax. As the old adage goes: "Anything that can possibly go wrong....will". Thanks, but no thanks. Smile
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 13:55, KyleMacNeill wrote:
Quote:
Dave and Craig are not the owners of the World Magic Store and are not doing their reviews to promote the stores products.

Dave and Craig do own WMS.

Kyle

That's why these reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt. Jim, Craig and Dave are trying to make a living just like the rest of us.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
I didn't initially watch the revue all the way through - but have just revisited it because of the numerous comments from people about the effect - 'Industrial Revelation'.

Now I can't comment too much on the weight issue as I don't know what it actually weighs - suffice to say it doesn't look like something that you can easily work from your pockets - not unless you want to convince people that the recent plastic hip replacement operation hasn't been totally successfully (not to mention that you need to get the hernia checked out as well).

However, am I missing something here - and can someone please explain how this is MAGICAL rather than just simply being a PUZZLE? Let's be honest, you can just envisage a certain company in Japan bringing out a plastic version in the not too distant future.

Clearly it floats some people's boats but for me, I wouldn't use this in a month of Sundays. To my mind, it IS one of those effects whereby people want to examine the prop - and that for my way of working is a 'no-no'. You are being paid to perform - not stand there like a gormless clown whilst a table of 10 people pass a block of steel around for inspection!

I know we are all different but to my mind this is simply a puzzle, or at best, something to show the boys down the pub. How anyone could adopt this into a 'Magical PERFORMANCE' is beyond me.....but if you can, then bloody good luck to you!
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Quote:

However, am I missing something here - and can someone please explain how this is MAGICAL rather than just simply being a PUZZLE? Let's be honest, you can just envisage a certain company in Japan bringing out a plastic version in the not too distant future.

Wow, my thoughts exactly. This is also how I felt about the original version with the matchbox and the needle and this effect just seems like a larger version.
jfquackenbush
View Profile
Special user
Out here on the desert
607 Posts

Profile of jfquackenbush
Yeah, I agree on that point about IR, and found the review a little on the high side. particularly given how the boys didn't like memento. how is industrial revelation better than memento? I mean, it's a different effect, but it seems to suffer from the same problems.and 125 bucks? I mean, well made is well made, but wow.
Mr. Quackenbush believes that there is no such thing as a good magic trick.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-09-10 18:02, jfquackenbush wrote:
Yeah, I agree on that point about IR, and found the review a little on the high side. particularly given how the boys didn't like memento. how is industrial revelation better than memento? I mean, it's a different effect, but it seems to suffer from the same problems.and 125 bucks? I mean, well made is well made, but wow.

I'm totally lost on the comparison, or for that matter, comparing any trick to another that has a totally different premise? As for the price; yes, it is well made with extreme concern as to precision and well worth the price and probably more. Perhaps you would change your mind if you actually had IR in your hands.
~Yogi Berra~

jfquackenbush
View Profile
Special user
Out here on the desert
607 Posts

Profile of jfquackenbush
Maybe. the comparison is between two impossible props that don't seem all that examinable at the end of the effect and which ultimately present little more than a puzzle to the audience. I don't deny that IR looks really good, but at the end of the day it's a solid through solid effect with something that screams out "this is a magic prop" that for some reason has been associated with a deck of cards. So while yes, memento and IR are different effects, they both appear to me to have the same structural problems as pieces of magic. Memento got a low review because of those structural problems, IR got a glowing review despite those structural problems. I don't doubt the quality of the gimmick at all in IR but I think it's only really worth the price if you like the effect. I don't care for the effect, so to me that seems like an awful lot of money to lay out for it.
Mr. Quackenbush believes that there is no such thing as a good magic trick.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Thanks for all the comments guys good and bad. I have been really busy this week but I will try and answer some of your questions.

Craig
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-09-10 05:39, Merc Man wrote:
I didn't initially watch the revue all the way through - but have just revisited it because of the numerous comments from people about the effect - 'Industrial Revelation'.

Now I can't comment too much on the weight issue as I don't know what it actually weighs - suffice to say it doesn't look like something that you can easily work from your pockets - not unless you want to convince people that the recent plastic hip replacement operation hasn't been totally successfully (not to mention that you need to get the hernia checked out as well).

Clearly it floats some people's boats but for me, I wouldn't use this in a month of Sundays. To my mind, it IS one of those effects whereby people want to examine the prop - and that for my way of working is a 'no-no'. You are being paid to perform - not stand there like a gormless clown whilst a table of 10 people pass a block of steel around for inspection!

I know we are all different but to my mind this is simply a puzzle, or at best, something to show the boys down the pub. How anyone could adopt this into a 'Magical PERFORMANCE' is beyond me.....but if you can, then bloody good luck to you!

Well thanks for calling Dave, myself and hundreds of other magicians gormless clowns!!!

In all seriousness if that's your opinion that's great however both myself and Dave really like the prop and are using it all the time. We both agreed it was the best thing that we got from Magic Live and have called each other after gigs and the reactions it gets are great.

To quote Paul Harris and magicians job is to create a moment of astonishment. Now you can do this in numerous ways. One way is to perform a well construction routine with numerous magical moments. However another way is to present the audience with something that is totally impossible. When you perform IR the end result is impossible. In my mind it is not a puzzle. With a puzzle the audience can look at what you have done and logically think that there must be some way to accomplish what you have just done. Performed correctly there is no way to work out how you just penetrated a solid block of steel - in many ways it is the most magically thing that we can do as a performer.

Of course that is only my opinion it doesn't make it right.

Craig
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-09-10 20:07, jfquackenbush wrote:
Maybe. the comparison is between two impossible props that don't seem all that examinable at the end of the effect and which ultimately present little more than a puzzle to the audience. I don't deny that IR looks really good, but at the end of the day it's a solid through solid effect with something that screams out "this is a magic prop" that for some reason has been associated with a deck of cards. So while yes, memento and IR are different effects, they both appear to me to have the same structural problems as pieces of magic. Memento got a low review because of those structural problems, IR got a glowing review despite those structural problems. I don't doubt the quality of the gimmick at all in IR but I think it's only really worth the price if you like the effect. I don't care for the effect, so to me that seems like an awful lot of money to lay out for it.

Thanks for your comments. I have performed with IR a lot and I always leave it on the table after I have performed it and leave it till the end of the performance. Most people leave it after giving it a once over. Some people pick it up and put it back in the box and try to do what they saw me do. So far nobody has found the secret and I am confident that nobody will. Because of how the prop is made I feel it could be examined to a long time and nobody would find a thing as they do not know what they are looking for. Magicians think differently to laymen and that is the problem - I think if you actually had an IR in your hands and played with it for a little your opinion would change. Regarding Momento - if you played for that for even a second you would see how it was done you cannot let the spectators even touch the prop. So although both props do end up bring in a situation where spectators want to examine them only one of the props can actually be examined.

Craig
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Magic Review » » Wizard Product Review 68. Redemption, The light, Wormhole (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL