The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Close Up Mats - an alternate, cheap source (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ximines
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
154 Posts

Profile of Ximines
Hey gang - in my search for a practical alternative for a close up mat, I came across the following supply store, which provides jewelry display pads at a very reasonable price. They are so cheap that I'd consider them disposable. Check out the products at this link:

http://www.jewelrydisplay.com/browse.cfm......282.html

(cut and paste the above link, since the comma in "2,282.html" throws off the hyper-link)
Hope this is helpful-

-David
digiassn
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of digiassn
Huh, that's actually not bad. I just built a miniature closeup pad/table felt into my portable box (measures about 1.5ftx6in). While its not big enough to do any spreads with a full deck of cards, it works great for packet effects and chop cup routines. Perfect for a table hopping environment. The only thing it lacks right now is trim. But I will consider putting one of these in the box to carry when I need more surface.
Ximines
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
154 Posts

Profile of Ximines
Yeah, they are a bit small - but quite portable!
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
This place makes them larger. Not sure how much one saves after shipping/handling but I ordered 2 of the 12x18 size. I think you have to
order by phone like I did. I plan on putting on those brass corners you get in craft stores.

http://www.jewelrytray.com/catalog/pads.php
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I'll stick with the traditional close up mats. Surface is not the only reason for using a pad especially on coin effects.
If those pads are disposable, then it could potentially exceed the cost of having one good quality pad.
I make a few that uses a picture frame, victorian stylings. Michael Ammar used one like that during a lecture and he even encouraged us to try making one ourselves - very dressy. I'll try to submit a photo.
Tukaram
View Profile
Regular user
Iloilo, Philippines
198 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
How thick are the jewelry display pads? Aren't most close-up pads about as thick as a mouse pad? The prices look really good though.
Ximines
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
154 Posts

Profile of Ximines
They are pretty thin. And you need to put something tacky on the back to keep it from sliding.
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
217 Posts

Profile of pattrick
If those do not work for you try Pattrick's Mats at http://www.pattricksmagic.com We have some new personalized options and custom cutting.
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5750 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I attach a felt square to the top of a mouse pad with Scotch double stick tape, and then trim the edges. It looks nice and works really well. When the surface gets dirty or worn, I just replace the felt.
MartiniMagic
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of MartiniMagic
Thanks for the info I think that could work well.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24265 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-09-30 07:43, pattrick wrote:
If those do not work for you try Pattrick's Mats at http://www.pattricksmagic.com We have some new personalized options and custom cutting.

These are great close-up mats. Worth every cent. I have a couple of them.

For really tough performing situations, I have a disposable solution, though. Some fabric stores sell automobile headliner material. It's fuzzy on one side and has a 1/4 inch foam pad built right in. It runs about $10 per yard, if you buy it right. It's very wide, and one yard will make about 10 pads that are 16 x 18 inches or so.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Thank you Bill for your suggestion. I'm going to search that out.
I understand being frugal and clever, but at some point might as well perform on a folded cardboard box and staple a cut piece of t-shirt.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5385 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Thanks for the link David. Though I'm happy with the mat I have, this is a good source for other items like plain zip lock bags, drawstring bags etc.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Close Up Mats - an alternate, cheap source (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL