The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » My best silks lost against Irene. Any suggestions? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Our basement flooded when Irene came thru.

My regular, solid colored silks are fine. My box of printed silks, although, in a plastic box, got soaked thru. Smile
This includes three 6'X 6' Rice silks. Smile Any ideas on how to get the colors that ran out?

Won't you pleas help these victims of Katrina? The mis-made flag set you save is P&A. Smile

Thank you
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Jay,

What a loss! Don't forget to included them in you insurance claims. Get replacement prices while you can.

I am really surprised that P&A silk colors ran.

My #1 suggestion is Woolite and COLD water. Separate colors. Also do not mix India or Italian silks with your good stuff. Don't iron until you are absolutely through trying to restore colors.

Now you understand why we think of tie-dyed silk as a salvage job. It is an alternative.

I'm sorry for your losses.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Where will I see you on the road again?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Hi Bob,
I knew Should have called you first! Smile

What do you mean by "separate" the colors?
They are all multi colored silks.

In answer to your question, possibly Kutztown?

Bruce

P.S. Amy is listing everything and photographing as well
I am not permitted to toss anything w/ out permission Smile
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7392 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bob is right on the money with this project.

A couple of drops of Woolite will keep any stray dyes in suspension instead of relanding on the silk. Wash in cold water by hand, several times until clear. Then (again with Woolite) let it soak in cold water. If still clear, again add some Woolite and then rinse it in the hottest tap water you can. Then rinse( with Woolite) in cold until clear. The hot will remove any remaining loose dye.

Once you hit it with a hot iron, you will permanently reset the dye. That is why it is important to clean as much as you can before. When you press it with an iron use a clean pressing cloth until the silk is pretty dry. Then you can iron it directly. This again will help with the colors transferring off onto each other.

On the final rinse, before ironing, add 1 drop of fabric softener to the water. This will help to kill the static when the silks are ironed.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22734 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There is a dye absorbant pack sold in stores and Walmart. It collects dye from the water so it will not return on the material and other items in a normal wash. Would not hurt to use these while washing the silks.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I will give both a try thanks.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6824 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Fccfp, if you want to replace them, Bob Sanders, Richard Hughes and Rice's are my choices!

http://www.hughesmagic.com/catalog/silks/special.html

That is some very interesting custom stuff there! Also:

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/

I hope that can help some! Smile

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » My best silks lost against Irene. Any suggestions? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL