The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Internet v. Brick & Mortar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2177 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I used to buy my magic at Hollywood Magic in Costa Mesa. I met Jules Lenier there. He would greet everyone with "Hello my friend". He would tell horrible jokes---but that's what made them funny! We would talk about life and then magic. He would sell me magic that I would use and would make sure my questions were answered before I left the store. It was fun buying my magic back then. The internet has made it easier, faster and more accessible to find effects and order them. The internet has many many advantages. Now if we can just get it to say "Hello my friend".

Good magic to all,

Eric
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Hello my friend.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2755 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I remember going to Tannen's in the 70s when it was on Times Square. People would mill around, showing each other routines. I remember a street performer (yes, they had them way back then) who's walking stick had a flute carved into it. He played an ethereal little tune on it. I understand Tony didn't really care for the people milling around because they weren't buying anything (or at least, not enough) but I remember those days very well.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
"The Carousel" near Cannery Row in California. Back in the early 80's they had a shop there that was my first window to magic. With shelves of bright colored mystical magic boxes and feathered boquets. And glass cases filled with cards, coins, and thingamagigs. I spent many hours (and birthday money!) in that shop, hanging out with my magic friends learning the latest. Even after I later discovered Tannen's catalog (nice!), I still prefered that shop. It's long gone now.

The internet is great for the reasons you listed Eric. But if I had a brick and mortar shop nearby, I'd be shopping there.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2177 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Hello my friend Rockwall and thanks for that. And James--- ditto!

Good magic to all,

Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Internet v. Brick & Mortar (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL