We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Best modern Coin Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
I'd appreciate it if you all could complete this analogy:

Royal Road to Card Magic is to Card College

as

Modern Coin Magic is to _______________.

That is, what's the best modern book for comprehensive fundamentals of coin magic with lots of photos?

Thanks,
Jack Shalom
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2323 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Well Mr. Shalom,
I would say that you could check out David Roth's "Expert Coin Magic." He is hands down one of the top coin magicians of our day.

As far as photographs, there are none. His book is full of illustrations however. But they are by far some of the most detailed illustrations. So you would be happy I think.

I have the book and enjoy it a lot. Smile

Others will recommend "Coin Magic" by Richard Kaufman, I have only heard great reviews of this book. I Don't own it yet, but check it out as well.

Take care,
Brian Proctor
Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Not sure what you mean by 'modern'.

Most folks never got through the Downs book, or the Buckley books.

Likewise, the Ramsay routines remain very much outside most folks reach.

If you are looking to be spooned the basics... think again. The basics take a great deal of hard work. No amount of soft sell or handholding will help there. You have to put the time and effort into the material. The clever stuff like edgegrip and the latest fad with JW Grip will not help you till the basics are in place.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I agree with Brian, Expert Coin Magic by David Roth. Keep in mind, however, he does do a lot of lapping.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2323 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I found an old thread about coin magic books. Our own wise Curtis Kam had a nice list of modern books.
Check it out here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......t=165997 Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks guys. I have David Roth's beginning coin video, and he's a terrific teacher. I asked for a book so that I'd have something to study while on the subway (trapped in a dark tunnel during the occasional blackout or terrorist attack.) I wasn't aware that Roth had such a book out, so I'll check that out.

Thanks again,
Jack Shalom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Best modern Coin Book (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL