We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Dice with Playing Cards instead of Spots at Wal-Mart (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3051 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
In Wal-Mart's toy department with card games like Uno etc are a nice looking set of nine dice with playing cards on the faces. All playing cards are represented once as well as two jokers. The set was around $8.00.

One routine I thought of was to use a clear force bag. Pass the dice around and show that every card is represented (or at least that there are many many different cards). Now put the dice in the clear force bag and force the intended dice. They then roll the dice and you reveal you correctly predicted it. (via six multiple-outs).

I've never used a clear change bag so I'm not positive it would work the way I want. I think I would need to buy multiple sets of these dice and have at least three identical dice in the force side for the spectator to feel.

I think this could be built up to be a real miracle.

(By the way. Is this the right forum for this? I just figured it is a raw material that people could use as they see fit)

Mike
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
If the entire deck is represented on the die, then there are a lot of really neat possibilities. You could even eliminate the use of an actual deck for some unique card effects. Another that comes to mind is to toss all of the die into a container, have a spectator select one and then roll it. Whichever card landed face up could then be shown reversed in a real deck by use of an Invisible Deck. This could be a pre-reversed prediction, or after they rolled the dice, you could have them mime picking that card out of the deck and reversing it, re-inserting it, etc.

I think these would be really cool and provide many possibilities.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3051 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Yes, all the cards are represented. There are nine dice so that's 54 faces which is 52 cards plus two jokers.

How about the princess card trick with dice? They think of one card on the Die and then you rub off the very face they were merely thinking of. A little sand paper and dice switch and your all set.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It's also in Walmart's on-line store under the name: Square Shooter's Basic Game Set for $8.97 (plus postage or no postage if it is shipped to your local Walmart store or FedEx store). I'm a stay-at-home so I ordered some to play with and think about. Don't be surprised if something new shows up in the next Wizards' Journal featuring the card dice. Two by mail plus tax ended up costing $29.83. That puts some pressure on me to come up with some good ideas that will sell enough to cover the costs!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3051 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Yes that's them Spellbinder. I tried to find them online to post here but couldn't.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Trademark-Glob......17013898
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
A few different choices available here:

http://shop.squareshooters.com/shop/cata......op_param
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9488 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Why do I want to run-out and buy three sets, knowing they will just sit in the drawer?
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Because your little birdy is telling you there is something cool here, mine is too.

One interesting thing is that the 9 cards are self constrained. There is a strange limit to what can appear. I'm going to run the numbers and see if any ideas come up.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9488 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
So what if you cut the tops off of 6 of them - like that "other" dice trick (with the blue box&lid) ... and you forced a card - and - all six dice became the selected card?
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I saw this, but no great ideas, I haven't done much dice magic

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S10336

this describes a nice kick: all the dice show a card picture together
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I'm sure there are some cool tricks you could do incorporating the "dice paddle move" and these dice.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-09-22 01:11, Eldon wrote:
I'm sure there are some cool tricks you could do incorporating the "dice paddle move" and these dice.

Good thinking! Years ago I got a card revelation effect that I think was put out by Max Maven, and while I still use it, I do not know the name of it. It uses a small, clear cube that you pass out for inspection, then have a card selected by a spectator. After the card is returned to the deck and after a bit of byplay, you show the cube once more, then when they peer into it, they see an image of their selected card. This one also uses a "dice paddle" move of sorts.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Here is the effect. Nine cards are selected and placed in a 3 x 3 arrangement. A spectator shakes the dice in a box. You open the box and all the cards and all the dice match.

You would need a force for every group of 6 cards from start to stop in the deck. And then Jay would have to build the box.

:)
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It's been a long time since I did any dice stacking, but I gave it a shot and came up with this effect: Three cards are chosen from a deck and placed on the table face down. Three of the dice are removed from the bag (it comes with a little red bag, did you know?) without looking, and tossed into the dice cup. I then stack the dice a few times, and on the last time, I tell the spectators I will try to match the three facedown playing cards, even though no one knows what they are yet. The stack is made and I tell the spectators not to look at the sides of the dice; only the top will match. The three playing cards are then turned over and the spectators get excited because one of the cards is a match for the die on top of the stack. I invite a spectator to remove the top die to see what is beneath and it is also a match for a card, as is the last die when it is shown. It gets a great reaction from the Wiz Kids, mostly because they've never seen me stack dice before and now they all want to learn it. The reaction starts the moment they turn the three cards over and see the first match on top of the stack, and then the excitement grows as they pick up the other dice to see if I made three for three. So I guess that's a winner for anyone who stacks dice and knows how to cheat and force three cards.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3051 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
That sounds like a great routine Spellbinder.

I haven't bought the dice yet. We all know that on normal dice opposite sides add to seven. Have you noticed any pattern to these dice?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
There does not seem to be any pattern to the card dice as there is with spot dice.
Professor Spellbinder

Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Jay Leslie: I have one of those blue boxes that you mentioned, and if you are going to build a set of nine (rather than six) have them force a seemingly random pattern of nine cards (by working in reverse and dropping off the gimmick rather than picking it up) and that just happens to match the next nine cards in a row dealt from a shuffled deck. Then dump out the dice and recapture the gimmick. Could work. Let me know if you make a set because I would end up sawing off the tips of all my fingers if I tried it.
Professor Spellbinder

Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
After Jolyon Jenkins released his Radio Controlled Spirit Bell on my site - http://www.magicnook.com/Magi-tronics/MT......Bell.htm I began to come up with all kinds of ideas for ways to make use of this clever device. Most recently, I found myself employing the Square Shooters Card Dice described in this thread.

The dice are used by a spectator to choose a playing card. Every card on the dice is duplicated inside a regular deck of playing cards, so if the spectator chooses a die and then selects the (for example) Seven of Hearts, we can be sure that the deck of playing cards contains that same card... but where? Only the spirit of the bell knows the location. The spectator cuts the cards into four stacks. The bell rings when the spectator points to the stack that contains the Seven of Hearts. Now to make it harder, the spectator asks the spirit of the bell to indicate how many cards from the top of the deck is the chosen card? The bell rings (for example) six times, the spectator counts down six cards and finds the chosen card at the selected position.

It drives the people I've shown it to (all magicians) completely crazy because it goes from dice to playing cards and then to this little bell that rings by itself. You should never repeat a trick twice in a row, especially to magicians, but these guys are my test audience and when I repeat it immediately with a different outcome each time, they give me the hand sign for warding off the evil eye. If I did the whole thing as a card trick, no one would be impressed, but by adding the card dice and the spirit bell, it seems like a true miracle. If there is interest, I may release my method as an e-Book in the future.
Professor Spellbinder

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Dice with Playing Cards instead of Spots at Wal-Mart (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL