The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Ok now for a FUNNY new experience. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok here we go. Strange how after 20+ years of doing more shows a week than I care to count a new phenemenon hit.

I was doing the horse race track skit. They tell you the horse they are going to bet on, and then you tell them the louder they yell, the faster the horse will run. At the end it is a tie, they all win, the odds were like a million to one and they better hide the betting slips because of pick pockets. Makes for fun later. Not original, but in general quite funny. 2 times in 4 shows this particular bit gave me a huge headache!

So I go through the whole thing as described, they are screaming their heads off the race ends and I announce the tie and EVERY ONE OF THEM looks at me and says NO! Who won? It CAN'T BE A TIE! I am looking like a deer in the headlights and that gets a laugh, so why not go with what is working? I play it big with lines like "when exactly did I lose control of this show?" It wasn't really a problem as it was funny as hell, but it was strange. I mean I was thinking you just watched a fake horse race, you bet fake money, and cheered the whole thing, but the line in the sand is "no we can't all win"? Funny how things happen. Then once the one was quite vocal, the others were all over it. It was great.

Then a few nights later NOBODY CHEERED! Nobody seemed to care if the stupid horse won or not.

Oh well just tellin stories.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
One of the strange things when dealing with people especially with hypnosis shows they are totally unpredictable. Which also makes them a unique form of entertainment.

Maybe there was a full moon that night?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
A classic routine with classic unpredictable outcomes. No matter how long I've been doing this things never cease to amaze me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Two VERT astute comments guys. Seriously this is what makes what we do so unique.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Although the above absolutely true, just a shot in the dark Danny; I was wondering if there was a chance the recording might show that you gave the suggestion in a slightly different way on the night?
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Have the tapes. Went over it many times. WORD FOR WORD the same suggestion.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Danny, obviously I haven't heard or seen the tapes. So I have a question for you. First, the premise of the question: I assume you're "calling" the race. That is, you're like an announcer. You say something along the lines of "And they're off!" followed by a description of the race.

If this is correct, the last 15 seconds or long should include you saying things such as "They're running neck and neck! (Name of horse) is in the lead. Now (name of horse) moves into first. Yell louder to get your horse to run faster. They're all neck and neck!..." This would set up your actors for a "tie." If you didn't set them up in some way similar to this, is it possible that they're expecting a winner and are upset that you didn't meet their expectations?

Also, at the end of the race, did you just say "It's a tie?" If so, and if the actors know even a little about horse racing, they're going to wonder about your choice of terms. Announcers don't say "It's a tie" immediately. Instead, they use the expression, "It's a photo finish. Hold on to your bets until the winner is decided by looking at the photos!" Of course, for your show, you could get some humor by adding, "Your ticket could be worth a lot more so hold on to it tightly and don't let anyone else see it while you try to look at their tickets."

Finally, you could say, "Folks, this is unprecedented in the history of horse racing! The photos show that all of the horses crossed the finish line at exactly the same time. Not even a noses difference between them. You're all winners!" and then conclude with the protect your tickets suggestion.

Following this pattern might help you avoid the problem, add more suspense, humor, surprise, etc. to the bit, as well as keep you in control.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I was telling a story guys. LOL. Stuff happens. I have done the routine for over 20 years and this was the first time anyone argued with the tie. It was more of an amusing story than a cry for help.

Sometimes things happen, and you just can't stop them. It is best to milk it for what you can and not let it go by without enjoying the experience.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Shane Masters
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
157 Posts

Profile of Shane Masters
Danny,

I think stuff like this is a blessing. Yes, its funny when they do exactly what you say, but, I think its even funnier when they go off a little. Rolling with it like you did is the best thing you can do....and makes it better IMHO.

I have seen some hypnotists go off on stage when people do not do what he tells them word for word.

I do a stolen Corvette bit and I had one guy say he didn't like Corvettes.....he liked big 4x4 trucks. He wouldn't play along. So, I gave him his own bit in a 4x4. No biggie. Custom stage hypnosis tailored to their needs and wants. This is where it pays to be witty and quick.

Thanks for the share!!-Shane
The Cerebral Assassin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Ok now for a FUNNY new experience. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL