The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Name a children effect that fools adults (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Jonace
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Jonace
I have many effects that gets the adults laughe. But I would like to build a show with only children effects that fools adults.

Name some tricks. Smile

The umbrella mystery
Splash bottle gimmick and coke
thumb tip

:)
philblackmore
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of philblackmore
I think your question could be "what general or adult magic effects can be performed for children"?

Sponge balls, misers dream, cut and restored rope, chair suspension and handkerchief vanishes are some of the ones I do, but the list is endless.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I've learned that almost any children's piece can be adapted to adults with success with enough imagination. Not always the other way around. It's a matter of thinking way out of the box, and I actually speak quite a lot about in my book. Thanks, Walt
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
My whole show.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I was wondering how to respond, but then Al answered for me.
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
131 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Aren't most adults just kids with arthritis and less hair?
BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
Ketchup bottle and dice box are my 2 biggest adult foolers. Sponge balls, too. ABC stung fools them but they won't admit it.
and my bill at the end of the party really fools them!
stevezany
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of stevezany
I love Daryl's Amazing Acrobatic Knot. Leaves kids and adults stunned.

Video: http://goo.gl/bjFXs
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
In many ways I think its more difficult to fool children than adults. So, I would ask, ‘what children’s effects fool children?’
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
tgs
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of tgs
The only stuff in my show that wouldn't translate pretty much directly to an adult audience is the stuff that requires total audience participation. For example, sucker effects that rely on the audience shouting out the false method, or any routine that's magical or funny because the entire group is getting involved (Capehart's miser's dream is one).
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
493 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Snake Can from David Ginn - even magicians are suprised when the snake jumps out of the can!
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Linking Ropes and Comedy Glass in Paper Cone.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
There are so many to choose from - I like to include a few adult-foolers even in my youngest kids shows. My dove pan routine always gets the adults (not the final production, I hasten to add, though it's a good comedy moment). Of course, some adults are smarter than others. I've fooled many adults with the Silver Sceptre, Smokey Mountain Pizza Box, and even Passing Water. I have a large selection of comedy card tricks, most of them for older kids, which always fool the adults (my favourites are Barry Mitchell's Super Sleuth, Wolf's The Flea, and 5 Card Opener. King's Crossing is also very strong.)
The Cellulator (Wolf's Magic) is a real fooler, although I've adapted my prop to facilitate this.
I don't agree that the question "what adult tricks can be performed for children", is the same, as that really is another question entirely.
Frankly, even a change bag handled expertly, will fool almost everyone. I think so much is often in the handling and presentation of effects.
Potty
philblackmore
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of philblackmore
Ok, I'm slightly confused. Are we talking about doing children's tricks for adults, doing a show for kids that will also fool the adults there, or what?
TedLashley
View Profile
Regular user
El Campo, TX
197 Posts

Profile of TedLashley
Over my 40-odd years performing shows for both kids-only and family-type audiences, two tricks that I do mostly for kids that ALWAYS get a great reaction from the adults are the Mutilated Parasol (or umbrella trick) and Hippity-Hop Rabbits. Sometimes weeks or months following a show, an adult will come up to me and inquire about the umbrella... and I've also had adults come up after a show and look closely at the two Hippity-Hop Rabbits (I leave them out on my table for anyone who wants to examine them) and rub their fingers over the front and back surfaces, trying to discover some hidden way of changing the colors. Hilarious!

TED
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
131 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Quote:
On 2011-09-17 02:05, Daniel Ulzen wrote:
Snake Can from David Ginn - even magicians are suprised when the snake jumps out of the can!

Isn't David Ginn the most creative children's entertainer? I LOVE the teachings of the "snake can" routine. I have also adapted that move to use the snake can in a longer running skit. I own every book he has written and most of his dvd's. When ever I get stuck for an idea, it's "to the library" and David Ginn ususally helps me through it.

I find that every trick that I do, whether it fools anyone or not, is ENTERTAINING for everyone because I make it fun.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Woody Pittman's act is like that, he sort of acts like a kid, and does tricks that are common for kids acts, but he's really clever and funny from what I've see - I've only seen him on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdglWKFVVyA
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2011-09-16 20:18, Al Angello wrote:
My whole show.

I would be embarrassed if my entire show didn't fool adults. I mean really....
Magicians on the magic Café can't fool adults with their kid's act?

If so, have some self-respect and re-think your act.

No excuses. No debate. Just do it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Jonace
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Jonace
Frank Starsini: I see what you say, but then again I am not sure if my style is the same as yours Smile. I use the giant climb in balloon, but I don't do it to fool anyone. Just to make anyone enjoy the show. I still to the coloring book. I love it, but I would never do it in my adult show (actually yes, but that's another story).

Al Angello: thanks for posting, but I did not help Smile
philblackmore: The point is to name
Ken Northridge: This is actually a good point.

I use Losanders f loathing table in my children act, not my adult act. Because it will not fit my theme. My point for posting this post is actually to hear what kind of tricks that get an reaction from the adults. So maby I should be more specific.

I do not agree that all children show should fool adult, nor the kids as long as the show are entertaining.

So any thinking of this topic helps Smile
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I think it's more important that your kids' show entertains kids, rather than fools adults. It's very difficult to come up with a lot of real adult foolers, for instance, when creating a nursery show for 2 1/2- 4 year-olds. Or for a 3-year old Birthday Party. Sure, some of the show can include amazing jaw-dropping magic - but younger kids also enjoy all the silliness and by-play.
Most of my shows have a relatively small number of "magic moments", compared to heaps and heaps of gags and comedy, songs, and puppets.
I firmly believe that a show for kids should be aimed at the kids, and whilst it's great to include a little something for the adults too, it's quite wrong, I believe, to have too much that goes over the kids' heads. I learnt this many years ago as a pantomime actor. Most big pantos in the UK include masses of double-entendres, and gags that only the adults will "get". But, a panto which is aimed squarely at the kids, where they are able to understand absolutely everything that occurs, is way, way more entertaining for the little ones, and the adults still enjoy all the silliness.
It's for my family shows and parties for older kids that I concentrate on clever magic. Up to the age of about 7, kids are more entertained by comedy than magic.
My opinion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Name a children effect that fools adults (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL