The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Name a children effect that fools adults (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2304 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
If you call yourself a magician you must have some jaw dropping moments that fool both children and adults. Having said that, I agree, not all routines have to fool. The entertaining moments, bits of business, etc. set up the dramatic magical moments.

Quote:
On 2011-09-19 01:55, Jonace wrote:
I use Losanders f loathing table in my children act, not my adult act. Because it will not fit my theme.

Could you expand on that? I have not found a way to perform the floating table for children without provoking a ‘let go’ chant from the children. Its like doing the invisible deck for children, they simply don’t appreciate the incredible magic that is happening. Would you share you philosophy on this?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I once had a parent approach me after the show and ask me how I did that coloring magic book. I just looked at her and didn’t know what to say.

I guess if you’ve never seen it before, it is magical.
Life of Magic!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2011-09-19 08:03, Ken Northridge wrote:
If you call yourself a magician you must have some jaw dropping moments that fool both children and adults. Having said that, I agree, not all routines have to fool. The entertaining moments, bits of business, etc. set up the dramatic magical moments.
Quote:
On 2011-09-19 01:55, Jonace wrote:
I use Losanders f loathing table in my children act, not my adult act. Because it will not fit my theme.

Could you expand on that? I have not found a way to perform the floating table for children without provoking a ‘let go’ chant from the children. Its like doing the invisible deck for children, they simply don’t appreciate the incredible magic that is happening. Would you share you philosophy on this?

Jolly Roger has a nice bit with the Losander Table, where he does actually let go. I think his presentation is the strongest I've seen.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Jonace
If my simple answer did not help you then how about:
cut and restore
ultimater card rise
Will Rogers snap knot
laso rope trick
Pizza box
Chicken sword
pull my finger
String theory
Panama rope trick
Ring and rope trick (mine)
Invisible deck (my version)
Acrobatic rope
PN (my version)
I also do four juggling routines
I have others that I mix, and match depending on the size, and age of the audience
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
For years, I took the Coloring Book for granted. I finally broke down and bought one. Now, I get as much reaction from the adults as I do from the kids. I have adults say it was among their favorites. We're talking really big reactions. And I do a routine built around the suggestions of my 12yo daughter, who said, "Daddy, I think you ought to do it this way." That said, I think it's the way I use the kids on stage (again my 12yo's idea) that makes it even more fun for the adults, so maybe that's because it's a mixed audience thing. But I've found it works for all ages, and I just can't question it any longer.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
775 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Coloring book
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-09-19 11:28, MoonRazor wrote:
Coloring book

???
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
130 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Quote:
On 2011-09-19 13:55, Potty the Pirate wrote:
Quote:
Coloring book

???

Yep, isn't it amazing after all these years how much fun you can still have, and how many creative routines you can come up with using a simple "Magic Coloring Book!"
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Yea I know, it's hard to believe but I do get reactions from parents with the coloring book.
Life of Magic!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Aaag! Not for me, Ye Olde Coloringe Booke is consigned to the bottom of my magic drawer.
;)
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I do a change bag routine. I don't think it fools adults
........ until the very last moment.

Read between the lines for insight on why all your magic should fool everyone.
And if yours doesn't, you have every opportunity, even with the coloring book, to fool not only kids and adults, but other magicians watching the show.

Reading thru the works of Jerry Andrus and Gary Kurtz might give you just the idea with the coloring book needed to pull that off. Not that I think they've published anything on the coloring book, but read enough and it will come to you.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
knick23
View Profile
New user
Wales
83 Posts

Profile of knick23
Ahh, crumbs from the masters table. Great stuff.
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
I have found that most magic geared for age groups old enough to appreciate seeing the impossible will almost always fool adults too. Two typical examples would be: color changing hankerchiefs and the yellow bandana.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1783 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I was sitting here trying to think if I do anything in my kids show that does not fool an adult audience and honestly I can not think of anything, I may be wrong but I have had adults ask how all my effects are done one time or the other. Not saying they all fool everyone all the time.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
775 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Quote:
On 2011-09-19 13:55, Potty the Pirate wrote:
Quote:
Coloring book

???

I was answering the original question, "name some kid tricks that fool adults".
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
775 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 11:44, Potty the Pirate wrote:
Aaag! Not for me, Ye Olde Coloringe Booke is consigned to the bottom of my magic drawer.
;)

Yet I still get adults snapping their heads back when the change occurs.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-09-22 12:13, MoonRazor wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 11:44, Potty the Pirate wrote:
;)

Yet I still get adults snapping their heads back when the change occurs.

I think to be fair, it's very different here in the UK. The Coloring Book is seen all the time, most kids (and their parents) probably see it every weekend for several years...and again, at family events, and just about every time they see a run-of-the-mill kids' entertainer. Not only do all the magicians use it, but so do the activity party people, DJs, and every entertainer that wants to give a nod towards keeping the kids amused. I understand that in the US, kids don't see anywhere near the same number of entertainers, so perhaps it still flies over there.
In my area, you just keep away from the CB, as it's so hackneyed.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2011-09-22 14:00, Potty the Pirate wrote:
I think to be fair, it's very different here in the UK. The Coloring Book is seen all the time, most kids (and their parents) probably see it every weekend for several years...

Sounds like just the thing to change up a bit so the end is an utter surprise to those "in the know".

I'm not sure I could resist.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

I have a couple of "altertnative" takes on it, but to be honest, apart from very young kids who maybe have never seen it before, it's a tough call to use this effectively. For me, at least. I have seen many performers use it, and they "get away" with it most often. But you can see the kids' eyes start to wander the moment they set eyes on this prop. Older kids frequently just get up and walk off as soon as they see the CB.
Have to admit, it's not just the CB, but this is becoming the attitude towards kids' entertainers in general! We have several hundred "entertainers" in our area now, and the majority have really only just started out, or are youngsters working for kid's party organisers for pocket money. More and more, at family events (not Birthday parties) I notice that older kids (7+) appear to hav eno interest whatsoever in watching a magic show....until they realise that the show might actually be entertaining, and not the same ol' same ol'.
It's a pity, but so many folks have decided that entertaining kids is money for old rope (well, perhaps that is literally true...) At least it means that I'm kept really busy, but I hear more and more tales of woe. The poor entertainers do disappear off the scene fairly fast...but it seems there is an endless number of newbies who put themselves out there (usually at full professional rates), as fast as the others go.
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
Dan Harlin's half gallon milk jug.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Name a children effect that fools adults (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL