The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Name a children effect that fools adults (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Just a thought...maybe the problem isn' how to fool the adults. Maybe we should (myself included) think about how we can create the unexpected. I find every time I pull out a change bag and place a scarf into it, I hear a kid or two say "he is going to pull something out of it or change it into something else" Turn the tables on the audience and give them something they didn't expect and they will be floored...what do you think? What insight do you guys have to offer?
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
What's Next is a trick that can get a great reaction in a family audience and the "wow" moment from adults in the back row of a children's birthday party show.

But really, it is the question that needs to be reviewed. Is our purpose to "fool" everyone?

A good entertainer can have everyone in the audience mystified by a great theatrical performance, with or without magic props.

So, is your purpose to "fool" anyone, make the children (and/or the adults) feel like "fools" because they failed to figure it out, or have a great time, create a sense of wonder, and entertain everyone in the room and leave them with a sense that there really is "magic" in the world?

You decide.

:magicrabbit:
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Re: the coloring book routine: I think the entertainment value of the coloring book is minimal if it is used all by itself. My routine (written up in I think the March 1984 Linking Ring Parade) incorporates the use of the Bongo hat and an eggbeater (a Clayton Rawson prop in his mind-reading routine) or alternatively the nested wands in addition to the coloring book. The child volunteer and the audience are having so much fun laughing at the sight of the props on the volunteers head and in his hands that they don't have time to yell "I've seen this before!" I did my coloring book routine with the Bongo hat at the Congressional Country Club and it got a great reaction from the crowd.

Working for several years in magic shops in Virginia and Maryland helped me develop novel presentations with standard over the counter props that turned otherwise hackneyed effects into crowd pleasers. The Chinese Sticks is another example. I sold many a set of sticks with a routine that included a couple of novel presentation ideas.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Higgenbottom
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Higgenbottom
One reason I've kept the coloring book in my kids' shows is that it fools the adults.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
You could also approach it from the other side; what adult effects can be used to entertain children?
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2462 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Sketch-o-magic by Samuel Patrick Smith definitely fools adults.
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Quote:
On 2011-10-12 08:14, Paul Rathbun wrote:
Sketch-o-magic by Samuel Patrick Smith definitely fools adults.

It gets my thumbs up too. But I usually use this for olders kids in parties. Younger kids may not understand the mentalism portion.

Another trick that will fool the adults: Dream bag.
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Name a children effect that fools adults (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL