The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Crazy mom, public show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
When the small kids start coming up like that just start auctioning them off to the highest bidder.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I had two weird ones today. I was doing three hours of balloons, clowning and face-painting in a hotel, and one kids, about three, was just dumped by me at the start of the stint. Two and three quarter hours later she was still with me, chatting away. But then she got upset - probably tiredness and being ignored by her dad, who was in the bar with the Sunday papers. I was a bit upset myself - she was a nice kid, and I didn't like to see her neglected like that.

And another kid, about eight, loved what I was doing. But every time he came over to me and I tried to show him a bit of magic, his mother came up and fussed around him and took him away.

Two lovely children lumbered with inadequate parents. Maybe the time has come to issue parenting training and licences. We need that much for dogs over here.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Funny idea, Ken. Thanks.

Ryan wrote:
"A had a mom give out goodie bags during the show yesterday. Some people don't get it."

Ryan,
I had a show last summer in broiling summer sun on a driveway and the only shade was against a wall alongside the driveway so I pushed the kids into the sun while I set up. Before I'm ready I'm sweating like a pig.

The show starts and the grandmother crosses in front of me, knells down and starts feeding one of the kids while I'm doing the show! I politely suggest that it might be a good idea to wait since we're in the middle of a show.

Then the dad walks by, says I look hot, and plunks a cold beer bottle that is already open on top of my table while I'm performing.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Sorry, I pushed the kids into the SHADE NOT THE SUN!! Wow, what a monster I would be if I pushed them into the sun. I kept myself in the sun and the kids in the narrow strip of shade.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1154 Posts

Profile of danfreed
It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one with horror stories. Most shows go well for me, but sometimes I have rude kids to deal with, but the worst part is when the parents don't supervise and let them be rude. Sometimes we get treated as babysitters, but I should be more proactive at making sure a few parents are "working security" detail. My worst gig was when I used to perform a stage show as a clown. I was doing a festival and had a big crowd and a kid (around 10) would not stop using some really loud noisemaker and yelling weird stuff right at the front of the stage, almost non-stop. The child obviously had a serious mental illness, so I don't blame him at all for his behavior, but it was driving me nuts, ruining my concentration, and ruining the show. I didn't want to stop the show when I had a big crowd expecting a good show, so I kept asking where the kids parent was, then I asked people to get security and no one did. I had to leave the stage and walk around looking for a cop (while dressed as a clown)and he had to drag the kid away. I think the kids came back again towards the end. I know it sounds like maybe I overreacted and should have just continued and dealt with it, and maybe I should have. But I was less experienced and less confident, and besides, you should have been there, OY!
At another show at a fair, on the second day when I got to the stage, I discovered a nice present - a big load of cow dung, right on stage. someone had put it there as a joke. Also the stage had really tilted from sinking into mud overnight. Fairs are so glamorous.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3305 Posts

Profile of takeachance
WOW, I mainly perform for oil field trash, roughnecks and drunken bar environments, after reading this I'm glad I don't do kids shows, my audience is much better behaved
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I once did a show for a daycare where the parents were present. One of the moms decided to sit front row. Every time I would do something she would clap loudly or explain what I just did to her kid or make some loud comment about it. It got to the point that it was annoying.

I got to the part where I was going to make the special guest appear, build up excitement and get the kids into the act and she yells out “Ohh, he’s going to make a bunny appear!” Ruined my whole act for me and the kids.

Some people just don’t get it.
Life of Magic!
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1154 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I was just venting out a couple of horror stories, I didn't mean to make doing kid shows sound like a bad thing in general. Most of my shows go very well and I really like/love doing kid shows. I consider myself lucky to get paid to make kids laugh and have fun. I only have 2 or 3 unpleasant gigs a year. Of course, the bad funk I get into after a bad gig lasts a good while and I need a few good shows to get my good "mojo" back. All I do is kid shows, but I'd like to do adult shows also - I'm slowly working on it.
Leland, that parent you talked about sounded like she was acting like a rude child. Though when kids are being rude, I mainly am just mad at the parent/party host for letting it continue.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2262 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2011-09-17 15:19, Potty the Pirate wrote: I have no idea, really. It was one of the most peculiar occurrences I've ever had at any of my shows.
Okay… that sucks, Potty. You bring us all to the edge of our seats with and intriguing story, then… then… then there's NO ending. Smile Guess I'll have to wait for the book.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
126 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
I have never used it, but I have always thought a "20th Century Shorts" would be funny with the thought of using it if a "tweenager" ever got out of hand to make a gag with it, but I've never had the guts to use it. Plus, I have delicate features and wouldn't look good folded up like a pretzel and stuffed in my own top hat!
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2115 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
My philosophy is to embrace & USE the chaotic energy of unruly / hyper kids, but there's little defense against unruly / hyper PARENTS. If a 2-3 year old wanders onto my stage, I give her something (Usualy one of the little glo-stars I give out) and tell her "Go give that to mommy!" And in the 17 times I've used this, it has NEVER failed. For the 4 times when the lil explorer came BACK after a few minutes, if she dosent have the start anymore I say "Oh! Wheres your star?? You need it!" And she'll take off to get it back. If she still has it, I tell here "Your mommy needs to have that!" and she goes again.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
tgs
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of tgs
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 09:39, The Mighty Fool wrote:
My philosophy is to embrace & USE the chaotic energy of unruly / hyper kids, but there's little defense against unruly / hyper PARENTS. If a 2-3 year old wanders onto my stage, I give her something (Usualy one of the little glo-stars I give out) and tell her "Go give that to mommy!" And in the 17 times I've used this, it has NEVER failed. For the 4 times when the lil explorer came BACK after a few minutes, if she dosent have the start anymore I say "Oh! Wheres your star?? You need it!" And she'll take off to get it back. If she still has it, I tell here "Your mommy needs to have that!" and she goes again.

This is awesome. Probably the best advice I've seen for dealing with creepers, and if the kid comes back without the star and you tell her she needs it, I expect that gets a pretty good laugh from any adults watching the show.

You mind if I use this technique?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Good idea mighty.

Jim
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
778 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2011-09-17 10:10, JamesinLA wrote:
Finally I tell a joke I learned from a Kidbra dvd ..

What was the DVD sounds like a one I'd want? (Seriously, even though it didn't help in this case, this was a rare situation and a DVD that addresses some of this sounds great.)

Also, what was the joke?
The pirate to the left is Professor Q.B.

ProfessorQB.com

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
ShadeFlamewater
View Profile
New user
Flamewater Circus
10 Posts

Profile of ShadeFlamewater
Whenever I do kids shows I always take:
A dogs water bowl that says Rover
A bottle of water
A dog leash
A jar of peanut butter
A roll of plastic wrap
A tennis ball (can you see where I'm going with this?)
Whenever I get a kid come up uninvited I'll say "Here boy! Fetch!" and throw the tennis ball. If the kid bites then you lose him for a bit while you finish up your trick. If he doesn't go after it I'll say "you're not a well trained puppy!" (slight dig at the parents there).
Whether he goes after it or not, next up I pat the kid on the head and say "I'm gonna call you Rover"
This usually gets a giggle from the kids. Sometimes the kid will play into it and for the rest of the routine you have a running joke:
Rover sit! Rover wait! Rover speak! Rover heel! It's a riot for kids 8-12. I've even "inspected my new pet" buy checking his teeth (stinky breath!) checking his ears (never anything in there) and checking his tail wagging skills (for some reason, kids make this one of the funniest bits).
Anyways, sometimes that kid just wants to be disruptive. That's when it's time to play Spin the Puppy! Get him to hold the end of plastic wrap while you spin him around. Once they're wrapped up good I usually make sure they're sitting/lying on the ground, put some peanut butter in his mouth, pat him on the head and say "good boy rover, stay!" Parents LOVE this (when it's not their kid). By this stage I'm usually right at the end of my show. If the kid calls out again feed him the peanut butter (always check for peanut allergies first) and say things like good boy. Oh I nearly forgot, once the kid is wrapped up I'll say " if you get out of that I'll call you Houdini."
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
It was the Library show dvd and it was a method that Tim Sonefeld told but it was something he learned from the head of Kidabra. I don't think I should share it on a public forum since Tim was sensitive to ask permissing just to share it on the dvd.

Jim
tgs
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of tgs
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 18:06, ShadeFlamewater wrote:
Whenever I do kids shows I always take:
A dogs water bowl that says Rover
A bottle of water
A dog leash
A jar of peanut butter
A roll of plastic wrap
A tennis ball (can you see where I'm going with this?)
Whenever I get a kid come up uninvited I'll say "Here boy! Fetch!" and throw the tennis ball. If the kid bites then you lose him for a bit while you finish up your trick. If he doesn't go after it I'll say "you're not a well trained puppy!" (slight dig at the parents there).
Whether he goes after it or not, next up I pat the kid on the head and say "I'm gonna call you Rover"
This usually gets a giggle from the kids. Sometimes the kid will play into it and for the rest of the routine you have a running joke:
Rover sit! Rover wait! Rover speak! Rover heel! It's a riot for kids 8-12. I've even "inspected my new pet" buy checking his teeth (stinky breath!) checking his ears (never anything in there) and checking his tail wagging skills (for some reason, kids make this one of the funniest bits).
Anyways, sometimes that kid just wants to be disruptive. That's when it's time to play Spin the Puppy! Get him to hold the end of plastic wrap while you spin him around. Once they're wrapped up good I usually make sure they're sitting/lying on the ground, put some peanut butter in his mouth, pat him on the head and say "good boy rover, stay!" Parents LOVE this (when it's not their kid). By this stage I'm usually right at the end of my show. If the kid calls out again feed him the peanut butter (always check for peanut allergies first) and say things like good boy. Oh I nearly forgot, once the kid is wrapped up I'll say " if you get out of that I'll call you Houdini."

I'm willing to bet you have never done this.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2115 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
[quote]On 2011-09-20 12:47, tgs wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 09:39, You mind if I use this technique?

By all means! I actually got it from the book "Seriously Silly" by David Kaye.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
ShadeFlamewater
View Profile
New user
Flamewater Circus
10 Posts

Profile of ShadeFlamewater
@tgs very rarely have I done even a handful of those sets. Twice only have I plastic wrapped a kid under those circumstances, but plastic wrapping someone in my show is a regular part of my act. These are back up jokes I use/have used in the past. If you don't believe me, meh.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2262 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 22:48, tgs wrote: I'm willing to bet you have never done this.
Same here. Any magician treating a child-audience member like this wouldn't last long in the business. Rule #1: Never embarrass or degrade a child as part of your act.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Crazy mom, public show (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL