The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book Tests (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Quote:
On 2007-06-21 18:14, Mariagi wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-20 21:56, asanghi wrote:
Hi: what is the w.d.w test, and who is it by? Thanks

sigma and upsilon both by paolo cavalli

There are so many ideas and new thinking is Paolo's work, it's scary. I actually went back through Sigma to look at the w.d.w. effect write-up... brilliant. Then I couldn't stop reading and went right into PUN, which itself has ideas and techniques that can be applied to book tests as well. If you don't mind, now I am going to go through it again...

HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommended.

-C
Cognite tute
JustinClark
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of JustinClark
Ive heard Fearsons Amagazine test is mondo-nifty; ). I remember seeing
Criss Angel perform a book test where a "freely" chosen page and a word was noted, then after some patter, the spec opens the book to find the page has been ripped out. It is then found inside an envelope which, of course, has been in full view the whole time. I previously had my own method for achieving that effect but after seeing him perform it I figured it might be a published effect. I have not found anything like it, does anyone no if a marketed book test like this exists? Thanks in advance...
-Justin
human
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of human
It's a Ted Leslie version called "The Sough of Horses' Wings" using his Teleport Envelope.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Ed Fowler offers a very good booktest on his site http://www.carlyletouch.com . His presentation is absolutely spellbinding. Of special interest is "Think Stop" offered as a bonus; absolutely fabulous.
rick727
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX, USA
188 Posts

Profile of rick727
I have used Max Maven's Autome with great reactions.
Practice what you present.

Present what you practice.
JustinClark
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of JustinClark
Definitely Reflections from Outlaw. Just got it recently and it is superb. A few high points are the book is: 100% examinable, there are 3 tests, and you don't just read 1 word from there minds you you give a detailed explanation of there emotions and memories. With the right presentation and linguistics, cold reading ect... you could start a religion with this sort of thing. Join the Outlaw cult! Ha ha...
-Justin
Glossolalia
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Glossolalia
I've never much liked book tests. Few provide a rational reason for why you'd have a normal book in the middle of a performance. I've heard performers give various reason e.g. 'I found this these books in the hotel lobby'. But they're all a bit iffy.

The current trend for painting it as it may look, as a memory stunt, is a good one. But unless the book is extraordinarily large and obtuse, or you have a lot of time to play the photo reading angle this approach works best on screen (although a certain DB overcame these problems with a nice bit with a telephone directory on stage a few years back).

I am currently working on something that does have a good reason for having a book there in performance, with a new premise for the book test, however book testd are a lot of work to put together (especially this one) and fairly expensive to produce. In other words, don't expect this one to appear any time soon.
S. Lea
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of S. Lea
The best reason for having a particular book on stage (or wherever you're performing) is because that particular book contains the necessary information. For instance, a chess book test (my own) requires the book because it would be too difficult for a spectator to visualise and hold in their mind, a chess board in a particular set up. Another test I perform revolves around philosopher Georges Bataille, I could ask people if anyone happens to have one of his books on them but it would be unlikely that they would hence me having the books on stage.

If you are performing impromtue, say in a coffee shop or pub, it makes sense to use the book you are "currently reading". I have a small pocket size book that I "happen to be reading at the moment" (which is why it's in my pocket). If anyone's is up for a quick mentalism demonstration, then it would make sense to use that book since it's unlikely that they have a book in their pocket.

Incidently, I think that memory stunts are pretty good convincers, especially if you're going on the line that you have a 'different way of thinking about things' or 'developed mental skills anyone can if they work at it'. One book I'm working on is a book of chess puzzles, 100s of them, that you have apparently memorized. The idea being that if you're capable of this extraordinary memory feat it's more beleivable you have other, more unusual, mental abilities.
CinChiller
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
404 Posts

Profile of CinChiller
I perform book tests since many years and I love them, some more than others, but I like them all. There are so many booktests on the market and most of them have good ideas to present a super memory or a special kind of mind reading or whatever... Generally, for me, gaffed books are a tool, like a screwdriver and it depends on me how to create something special for the audience. The better the tool, the easier for me to concentrate on the presentation.

Fact is, the reactions you can create with book tests are always very strong.
Most of the people don´t ask themselves "why comes this strange man with books and why should I take a special word from it?"
This is the old question of motivation to do something or not. For my opinion is this question a little bit overstressed.
If I can read minds, why to do anything else than to come to the stage and to tell the people what they think at the moment. A real mindreader needs nothing, absolutly nothing - no cards, no pencils, no boards, no books. If you want to perform in this puristic style it´s ok, but this is not the only right way to present entertaining mentalism.

In most cases, I present my booktest as a proof of super memory and it works fine. The funny thing, many people believe me. They really think that i´m able to memorized so many words.

I think books appear so intelligent and innocent for the most people that they never have a clue that these books couldn´t be anything else than normal. Gaffed, gimmicked or prepared books? No, why? Too pedestrian. And another tale: too expensive - look at http://www.lulu.com and you find book tests for 25$ .
As long as the audience think so, it´s fine for us and it´s not necessary to explain boldly that these books we use are complete normal - of course what else?
If you show a deck of cards, the people have a clue that cards can be gaffed and they often think that this could be the solution for the wonder they saw a minute ago.
The Gaff Book Collection - the right tool for your booktest.
Music for mentalism and psychic entertainment.
Visit: http://stores.lulu.com/dankworth01
TheGreatGalling
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of TheGreatGalling
Sherlock Holmes induction test
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-08-26 19:54, Glossolalia wrote:
I've never much liked book tests. Few provide a rational reason for why you'd have a normal book in the middle of a performance. I've heard performers give various reason e.g. 'I found this these books in the hotel lobby'. But they're all a bit iffy.

The current trend for painting it as it may look, as a memory stunt, is a good one. But unless the book is extraordinarily large and obtuse, or you have a lot of time to play the photo reading angle this approach works best on screen (although a certain DB overcame these problems with a nice bit with a telephone directory on stage a few years back).

I am currently working on something that does have a good reason for having a book there in performance, with a new premise for the book test, however book testd are a lot of work to put together (especially this one) and fairly expensive to produce. In other words, don't expect this one to appear any time soon.

Have you tried The Hoy Book Test?
shanyuen
View Profile
New user
Indonesia
17 Posts

Profile of shanyuen
This is a totally impromptu book test. It requires no gimmicks and can be done with virtually any book (hard cover or soft cover). There is also no setup. You do not need to have access to the book beforehand. And still you can reveal Any Word on Any Page.

Picture somebody choosing any book, from their own bookshelf. Then they open their book to any page they please and freely select any word. There are no forces and the choice of page and word is entirely free. That's what A.W.A.P. stands for. Any word any page.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=159
Something is Moving...
~Albert Einstein~
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
I just got 'The hateful page' book test http://www.lulu.com/content/1209974
I think it is brilliant. It is very nearly impromptu and with a tiny bit (about 1 minute) of setup you can be ready to do it anytime, anywhere, although it really is more of a stage or parlour show piece. It looks totally different to any other book test out there, and it can be very theatrically large. The method is very clever and is inherently built into the presentation invisibly.
Great stuff.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
I love the Hateful Page! You can really get the spectator into it, ripping up her book and shouting at the author fror wasting your time by writing such trash. Lots of fun!
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3235 Posts

Profile of NeilS
My favourite book rest uses an unfaked book together with one of the books supplied with the Ultimate Flashback. I use the UB book to force a page number 'to prevent any collusion' and get this page number looked up in the unfaked book.

Works perfectly.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Bless you both turtle and tomo...very pleased you both like Hateful Page...

I hate the fact you have to provide the book, unless its a test of your own super-memory..then it always looks a little iffy to me otherwise...
I've asked to be banned
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
The ad for the effect contains a litany of what is NOT involved but does not describe the effect. Can anyone describe the effect and what the Hateful Page looks like to the audience?

Gianni
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
'Reflections' by Outlaw Effects. Smile

Rich
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
Quote:
On 2007-11-08 23:21, PaleoMagi wrote:
'Reflections' by Outlaw Effects. Smile

Rich

I agree is very good, but DO NOT let them look at the book for more than a few seconds. They may discover the secret (this actually happened to me, and it was a girl with only 3 GCSE's so I was stunned when she said 'hang on, these are the **** ******* in a different order, and they have the same statement. Is that how it works?'
Sorry for the asterisks, but I don't want to expose the method!
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2007-11-08 23:12, Gianni wrote:
The ad for the effect contains a litany of what is NOT involved but does not describe the effect. Can anyone describe the effect and what the Hateful Page looks like to the audience?

Gianni

The Hateful Page? Sure. You ask the audience to bring along books (novels, etc.) they hated reading (Jackie Collins springs to mind!) and get them to rip out the pages, scattering them on the ground. You then ask for one to be folded up and brought to you. You hand it to a second spec and have her read it silently. It can play out several ways, but basically you then begin to flesh out the detail of the scene being described.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book Tests (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL