The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How do you collect the money? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
How do you collect the money when you are doing walk around street magic? I guess there is such a thing? Isn't there walk around street magic? But how do you collect the money if you walk around? What do you say: "Can you give me some money..."?

Mikael
Cacoal
View Profile
New user
Lewiston NY
70 Posts

Profile of Cacoal
Generally when I'm strolling, I've all ready been paid. I'm guessing that by walk around street magic you mean a Blaine-like approach,
Which as you point out makes your hat pitch difficult.

Most often, for me anyway, what starts out as strolling, ends up being, almost like a stage show. Once I have a decent size crowd, I launch into a set routine, during which I make reference to the hat pass several times (usually while I'm doing some hat manipulation with my bowler).

At the end of the show I make my hat pitch (see the 'passing the hat' topic). You could also check out the Library at
http://www.performers.net
for some helpful tips.

Another place on the web you should check out is Ace Starry's webpage.

Hope this helps,
Jason Smile
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Quote:
On 2002-04-29 15:05, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
How do you collect the money when you are doing walk around street magic? I guess there is such a thing? Isn't there walk around street magic? But how do you collect the money if you walk around? What do you say: "Can you give me some money..."?

Mikael

Mikael,

I had a smiliar question awhile ago! I'm planning on doing street magic soon, and I was wondering about the money. Check out the thread "Getting the $$$?" in "the sidewalk shuffle" section (this section).

What the customers at the Magic Cafe told me was that it's a lot harder to make money doing David Blaine type stuff, as there's less people to get tips from, a few people as opposed to a large crowd.

As I've said, I haven't done it, so I don't know. However, it seemed like good advice!

At first, I was a tad bit let down! I wanted to do the close up stuff! However, just changing trains of thought can offer some cool stuff! Check out Ace Starry's webpage (the link that someone just posted)... It's a cool site, and it might give you some good ideas!

Good luck!

Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
While the term "street magic" covers just about anything performed in the street, there's a big difference between busking and walkaround.
As Jason says, in walkaround, you are usually paid a set fee by the event organizer or whoever.
In busking, you work in a set location with a "hat".
But whatever you do, DON'T ask for money as if you were begging.
Oh, sure, you may get it -- but at what cost to your art and your dignity?
We are performers, not beggars!
BTW, what Blaine does is most certainly NOT street magic; he does TV specials.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-04-29 15:05, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
How do you collect the money when you are doing walk around street magic? I guess there is such a thing? Isn't there walk around street magic? But, how do you collect the money if you walk around? What do you say: "Can you give me some money..."?

Mikael

Hi Mikael,

The Blaine style of magic is much better suited to cocktail parties than it is to the street.

This is not to say the same tricks can not be done on the street, they can. It is just the manner in which they are presented must be geared to the financial aspect of your show and not just the presentation of magic (if your intention is to earn money).

In short, you need a pitch. You must do a show where you draw people, make them stay, and then make them pay.

These are the three golden rules of busking, no matter juggler, stilt walker, mime, or magician.

Make them stop, stay, and pay. And get as many people to do it as humanly possible. the more bodies, the bigger the hat.

How this is done is the hardest part of working the street. A great reference can be found in the Cellini book called "The Royal Touch" Cellini is considerd the greatest teacher of street magic alive today, and this book while flawed is not to be missed.

I know it changed the way I approach magic.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I like the idea of starting a street show with walk around stuff. Approach a small group and do a trick, and instead of asking for $$ ask them to watch your show.
One or two groups like this, then start your show. Nothing draws a crowd like a crowd Smile
I am a juggler and the start of my show involves a lot of yelling. I think I'll try it this way.
Remember, your crowd gathering IS part of your show, Even if there is no magic in it!
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Thank´s everyone.

I did not see there were a lot of replies this time, I did not receive a reminder in my mail. Hmm.

Getting people to pay seems to be the hardest part. Someone mentioned $50 a show. I think that in Sweden it would rather be $5 a show. I´m not often complaining on my country, but in this case I think it is okay.

We had a fantastic performer here a few years ago, and when he passed the hat I was ashamed to be a Swede, because people vanished, and those who put money in the hat put in mostly one or two dimes each.

I have seen it time after time, street performers don´t earn any money in Sweden (maybe I´ve only seen the ones that did not succeed).

Mikael
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5420 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Hey,
Cellini worked in Switzerland for years... and his hats were fine... I can't imagine Norway any different.... catch the new Cellini video... the art of street performing.... you will learn a lot... Cellini, as said earlier, is the best.... so learn from the best.... good luck, and enjoy the freedom that street performance offers... true freedom... it's great
take care.

kozmo
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
To answer the original question, As graciously as possible.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
Mikael,

As Jason suggested you can take a look at my page for a few suggestions on how to make a buck or two with a crowd. Rather than take up space re-writing them, here, I thought I'd give you the URL. http://www.starry.com/magic/

The street magic section has a couple of good tips on tips. I did street magic for a number of years and eventually made pretty good money at it.

Live the magic!

Ace
Ace Starry - Author or THE MAGIC LIFE - A NOVEL PHILOSOPHY
http://www.starry.com/
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
Here a old one
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How do you collect the money? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL