The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I saw their faces; now I'm a believer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
As some of my friends here know, I've gotten back into magic this year after an extended absence, so I know just enough to be terrified of children's shows. As I prepared to do my first all-kids' show in a very long time, I spent a lot of time reading past posts in this forum to prepare, staying up until 2 a.m. one evening.

For newcomers, use the indexes: you'll find a ton of useful material, especially on audience management. That's what I was most interested in: I had nightmares of unruly children.

Bottom line: the show just killed. I left feeling energized, happy and having that rewarding feeling that I made life happier for a few minutes for about 30 youngsters, and a few adults.

Experiences handled with help of my fellow Café members:

I opened with a color-changing cane. I have always debated whether to use this, but my 12yo says "do that. It's great." When putting together children's shows, I listen to my children. This audience was ages 4-10. When I brought out the cane, some kid yelled "I've seen that before." Followed Café advice and ignored him. It changed from black to red. Same kid (loudly): "How did you do *that*?" Guess he hadn't seen that before. Changed it to a silk. He was the skeptic and (following further suggestions here), I included him in the show. I do a rope routine (Fiber Optics), which had them all laughing. I brought "talking boy" up and did a cut and restored, where I did the old slip not, but wrapped the rope around his hand. I said stay still. He was so scared and stood so still it tickled the other kids while I went to get a magic wand off my table. I let him wave the wand and "restore" the rope. We were friends the rest of the show.

I like to have kids come up throughout and wave wands, or help with the "magic." Another basic, but one I am honing from reading threads of discussions here.

Those are just a couple of examples. But it's my way of saying "thanks." After reading old threads here, and looking through the indexes (thanks for that), I went into this show much more confidently. And all that advice? It works.

I am just so psyched I had to share.

Warning: This topic may have been discussed before. Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5765 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I have to chuckle when a kid says he's seen it before. I get that when I bring out a deck of cards! I should tell him that he's a little young to "know it all". He'll think he knows it all when he's a teenager.... and still be wrong.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3641 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
You sound like a good candidate for the next KIDABRA convention.

Jim
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I've been lurking around here a few years and I still come here for advice and ideas.

This place is full of it!
Life of Magic!
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1193 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Yes, and besides good ideas, its good for moral support. It's good to talk with like minded people.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2011-09-19 08:12, Leland wrote:
This place is full of it!

It certainly is.
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1207 Posts

Profile of Michael238
I too have learned a ton here
www.mikebrownmagic.com
<BR>http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=885780636
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7419 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
A couple more great sources for getting ideas for show. Kid Stuff 5 by Frances Marshall is a great resource listing the program of many magicians over the years. It give some routines but it gets you thinking about what might or might not fit.

The "Bobo Magic Show" is also a great book on doing school and kid shows.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I saw their faces; now I'm a believer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL