The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Jeff Dunham--Controlled Chaos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Quote:
Well, I enjoyed the parts with Peanut and José and with Little Jeff.

As always, I loved Walter, but I dozed off when Achmed was on. I woke momentarily and got a glimpse of his son and that was it, didn't even get to see the parts with Peanut and Jose. For me, the Achmed segment was too long, he may be a popular character, but I'm not a big fan of that character. So that part was a dozer for me, not just literally, but figuratively (while I was still awake for it).
Which makes me question the wisdom of having already ordered the CD before seeing the show, I'm hoping it has extras on it that will make it worthwhile for me otherwise - and plus, I still have part of it to see.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Quote:
On 2011-09-26 13:49, KeithS wrote:
Well, I'll add my 2 cents, which is what it's worth (probably less). It seems we all agree that Jeff is a brilliant vent, and his success is just awesome and certainly well-deserved. I've also seen him live at a few comedy clubs, and of course at the conVENTions and have loved him every time I have seen him. Plus, I discovered a new-found respect for him after reading his book. However, last night just didn't do it for me at all. Didn't like AJ, nor the way he ended his show. In fact, I much prefer earlier Jeff, before he became SO famous. I am happy for him, and I realize that it is great for vent, but I just prefer his earlier stuff. Again, just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

I have to agree.
I want to like Jeff so bad. I think he is extremely talented, but it's just not funny.
Didn't even finish watching it... but that's because Breaking Bad was on... and you just can't compete with that.

Randi
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Bob - thanks for the clarification. One point I forgot to make actually stresses your point - watch the audience shots. I saw rows of people just sitting there when the applause was going and laughs were supposed to be rolling. I'm not thinking "sweetened", but they could have found more suitable audience shots.

The commercial interruptions messed with the pacing of the show for me. Hoping the DVD is easier to watch. Also looking forward to the out-takes, some of which I've heard about.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Well, I must say that I am happy to be able to express my views here without any condemnation, unlike what's going on in that "other" board. Man, they're going for the jugular over there!

Kudos to you all here for being civil once again!
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Double post.
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I agree with Tom, the commercials kind of muck up the flow, I'm glad I missed a big part of it, maybe without the commercials, I'll enjoy it more on the DVD.

Keith - I get daily digests from the "other" board, so I won't see what's going on until tomorrow. You are right though, one of the reasons I enjoy this forum is because we can voice our opinions and have discussions without anyone getting mean.

CaptKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of CaptKirk
Well I watched it taped on my DVR last night and fast forwarded through those pesky commercials. I enjoyed Walter and Peanut BUT thought the Achmed segment was WAY too long and I did NOT like AJ at all. Just too gross looking of a character to suit my tastes. I did enjoy the ending and the banter between Jose, Peanut, Little Jeff, and Jeff himself. Good display of Jeff's abilities! Jeff is a fabulously gifted comedian but last night's show could have been 30 minutes vice an hour and I would have still been satisfied. Really liked the BLONDE that Achmed didn't pick up when he stopped and picked up the goat! She WAS a real babe, IMHO!!:o)
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

So I'm not the only one that thought the Achmed part was too long.
Everyone keeps mentioning AJ - I'm guessing that's the part I missed, he's Achmed's son?

Just got an early digest from the "other" board, that happens when there's a lot of posts, so didn't have to wait until tomorrow to see what was going on. They're all getting their panties in a twist over whether or not Jeff used a teleprompter. Okay.......

tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
He used one for Spark of Insanity. It sat in the middle of the audience. It wasn't like he read from it though. The video shoots of that scale are expensive and the prompter was used to keep things on track. Not sure why it should matter.

Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
All the back and forth aside, I think we are all much more civil here for a couple of reasons. Avatars. How can you get bent out of shape when you look at the pictures others are using for Avatars? I think they help to humanize each of us and we all realize that the other guys (and girls) are just like us with a different perspective. Nothing to get bent out of shape in that one.

Steve

http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Quote:
On 2011-09-26 22:37, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:
I think we are all much more civil here for a couple of reasons. Avatars. How can you get bent out of shape when you look at the pictures others are using for Avatars?
Steve

Maybe, but go over to some of the magic forums on the Café, and you'll see that avatars don't prevent a lot of nastiness over there. Honestly, having met several of the people on this board, I think that it's simply that over here we are well brought up, respectful, caring human beings. And modest, too.

On the prompter discussion, when I saw Jeff live last January, he was clearly using a floor-prompter with a key fob device to advance it. After the formal show, he brought out AJ to try him out on the audience, and he made no pretense about advancing the prompter till he got to the AJ material.

The prompter during the regular show didn't bother me at all. He did nearly a 3 hour show! He was working on new material. Who could begrudge him???

Bob
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Quote:
Not sure why it should matter.

That makes two of us, I have no idea why it should matter.

Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
It seems to me that whatever Jeff uses or does not use is of little to no consequence. Anything that anyone uses is just a tool. A puppet is a tool. A script is a tool. A microphone is a tool. Which of us would be concerned if Frank Marshall had an electric saw versus a hand powered saw?

The only thing that really matters is, Was his audience entertained? I think the answer to that is obvious.

Steve

http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
MT
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of MT
I liked the original Achmed routine. This new one isn't as funny. Gotta give credit to Jeff though. It's not easy writing A material all the time. AJ was ok. Looks a bit grotesque. I'm sure some people like it though.

I'm not sure if sharing about the divorce was a good idea. It didn't seem to add much to the show except give Walter something to comment on.
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I think doing the divorce jokes is just to easy to resist, especially with a character like Walter to put in his two cents, and they were general jokes, nothing mean towards his ex, so I don't think they are a bad thing.

Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
I just watched the Blu-Ray DVD of the special. There is a lot of extra footage from the show itself. Unfortunately, the racist material not shown on Comedy Central is there. I could not care less about political correctness, but some of the stuff made me and my adult kids cringe. I suppose those jokes appeal to a certain section of Jeff's demographic.

The DVD extras includes videos that were shown as intros to the live shows, outtakes, a tour of a winery called Dunham Cellars [no relation, I believe, but they're bottling a wine for Jeff to sell], and a very cool segment about the making of the Achmedmobile.

I'm glad I have the disc. I'm sorry about the parts that do not elevate the art.

Bob
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I received the notice a day or two ago that my DVD shipped, I'm still looking forward to seeing it since I dozed off on part of the show, and without the commercial interruptions, or editing for television, I'm hoping to enjoy it more than I did what I saw of the the show on TV.
It's kind of funny to see people claim not to be part of the PC crowd, and then call something "racist", that's more likely "ethnic".
Being "racist", by definition and behavior, usually refers to someone having a problem with, and saying things about groups of people, that are designed to be mean and demean, and anger, etc. Somehow, I find it hard to believe that would have been Jeff's goal.
That's how insidious the whole PC thing has become, people can no longer differentiate between "ethnic" and "racist".
Different strokes for different folks I guess. There was a period when I stopped watching Jeff, when profanity, up to and including the f-bomb, starting appearing fairly regular. But that's me, for many people, especially these days, the more they hear that f-bomb, the funnier they think it is.
But what do I know, I didn't think he used a teleprompter either, or care....

Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Quote:
On 2011-09-29 06:27, blueshawk1 wrote:
It's kind of funny to see people claim not to be part of the PC crowd, and then call something "racist", that's more likely "ethnic".
Being "racist", by definition and behavior, usually refers to someone having a problem with, and saying things about groups of people, that are designed to be mean and demean,

I'm glad my comments amused you. Please watch the DVD first, and then tell me if you think the bits about impoverished South Africans and Chinese people are not demeaning.

Bob
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I will make a point of watching it the night I get it and will let you know.

Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Quote:
On 2011-09-29 06:53, Bob Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-29 06:27, blueshawk1 wrote:
Being "racist", by definition and behavior, usually refers to someone having a problem with, and saying things about groups of people, that are designed to be mean and demean,

I'm glad my comments amused you. Please watch the DVD first, and then tell me if you think the bits about impoverished South Africans and Chinese people are not demeaning.

Bob

I'll get the DVD and watch it. Let's see if the Chinese jokes would offend me or not. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Jeff Dunham--Controlled Chaos (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL