The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Curry Turnover Change (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
EricClark
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
68 Posts

Profile of EricClark
Has anybody seen this move on any video/DVD? I have found it in Lorayne's Close Up Card Miracles, but was wondering if I could get a visual description.
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights, Vol. 7
mattpuglisi
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
321 Posts

Profile of mattpuglisi
As nice as this sleight is, Marlo's handling is by far superior (it does not have that awful finger position).
Lack of invention is the mother of necessity - Robert Nozick

Instagram: @matthewthomas00
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Yeah.. Kill two birds with one stone and buy Jamie Badmans Underground change manuscript.. It has a description of the Marlo technique and the awesome underground change.. Well worth the money. Truely excellent utility move.

--Euan
chrisM
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of chrisM
mattpuglisi - on Daryls encyclopedia of sleights volume 7 daryl not only teaches this turn over change but his own handelingof it. It elimintaes that funky finger position and makes it a pnky break. Its very well done.
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
Been doing Curry's ever since I found it in one of Hugared;s series More Card Maniulations?) years ago while Hugard was still publising, but just yesterday discovered why it was always so uncertain and often difficult. For me the NEW DISCOVERY that makes it easy and makes it work is this:
put an upward crimp in the tabled card. briefly, as one lays is down on the table, place the forefinger on the middle of the back and press down while pressing upwards with the thrumb on one long side of the card and simultganeously with the second finger, which should be on the other long side of the card. It worked yesterday and today; gosh, I hope it continues to do so. If so, I have finally mastered this great move.
Marty K
mattpuglisi
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
321 Posts

Profile of mattpuglisi
Quote:
On 2003-09-01 21:22, chrisM wrote:
mattpuglisi - on Daryls encyclopedia of sleights volume 7 daryl not only teaches this turn over change but his own handelingof it. It elimintaes that funky finger position and makes it a pnky break. Its very well done.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but the Marlo handling has no break at all, and once again I deem it superior. Smile
Lack of invention is the mother of necessity - Robert Nozick

Instagram: @matthewthomas00
danny
View Profile
Loyal user
England
267 Posts

Profile of danny
Another description can be found in entertaining card magic vol1 (or 3) by Cy Enfield, it is the same method as the one in lorayne;s book
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17289 Posts

Profile of joseph
Larry Jennings performs the change in a lady's hand on his Paris tapes, but the hand does look awkward, and he performs the change with the hand holding the deck, while the other hand is empty and idle, which is illogical, but he got a strong reaction anyway. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
dmk_kirkland
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of dmk_kirkland
Matt, where is Marlo's version described?
Cheers,
David
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Quote:
On 2003-09-03 08:02, joseph wrote:
Larry Jennings performs the change in a lady's hand on his Paris tapes, but the hand does look awkward, and he performs the change with the hand holding the deck, while the other hand is empty and idle, which is illogical, but he got a strong reaction anyway. Smile

Well obviously the deck needs to be held in all the versions. You just have to justify why you are using that hand to turn over the card. You would usually do this by using your other hand to do something else at the same moment, like turning another card over.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Yves Tourigny
View Profile
Veteran user
Somewhere in Quebec
323 Posts

Profile of Yves Tourigny
Marlo's Breakless Curry Turnover Change was first described in Hierophant issue 7 if I am not mistaken. You can certainly find it in the Reprint book of Hierophant by Jon Racherbaumer.... or you can find it in The Underground Change by Jamie Badman which you can buy et Andi Gladwin web site. Andi?

Yves Tourigny
Masimax
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
104 Posts

Profile of Masimax
Quote:
On 2003-09-03 13:44, cardguy wrote:

You just have to justify why you are using that hand to turn over the card. You would usually do this by using your other hand to do something else at the same moment, like turning another card over.

It's right !
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2959 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
The Hierophant series not only has the Breakless Curry, but MANY great items. I highly recommend the entire series.

BTW Allan Ackerman has work on a breakless Curry type change on one of his videos.

Mike
Magiman
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Magiman
Mike, you are so right. The Legendary Hierophant is one of my most treasured books. Not only is the curry turnover change explained and expanded upon, but the tricks The Vietman Trick, The Marlo 999 Miracle and The Origional R or B Phantom are in there too.
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
I guess what a lot of us would appreciate is a descriptive walk-through of Marlo's.
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Quote:
On 2003-09-03 22:15, Yves Tourigny wrote:
or you can find it in The Underground Change by Jamie Badman which you can buy et Andi Gladwin web site. Andi?

Amen! :o) As Euan said, it's well worth killing two birds with one stone and getting the Underground Change manuscript for $15. It contains Breakless Curry (described with Racherbaumer's permission) and at least ten other original items. You can find it at http://www.asquaredproductions.com

However, I will say that The Legendary Heirophant is a killer book and I loved every word of it. Jon Racherbaumer has done a brilliant job, and if you ask him, I think he can perfectly perform every item from it! :o)

--Andi
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
One aspect of the Curry move, which can be found in "Paul Curry's World's Beyond," is that the move is best performed when something is happening with BOTH hands, so therer is a reason for the hand performing the move to approach the tabled card while holding the deck.

Otherwise, the move is suspect, and not just for the odd finger positions.

Matt Field
Mito
View Profile
Veteran user
Japan
319 Posts

Profile of Mito
Quote:
You just have to justify why you are using that hand to turn over the card. You would usually do this by using your other hand to do something else at the same moment, like turning another card over.

Yeah--I only know the More Card Manipulations version, and I think this quick trick also appeared there:
DL, card is tabled face down. Another DL and the card is tabled face down to the right of the first one.
I usually do the get-ready as I rotate my left hand (with the deck) palm down, pointing to the first card, saying, do you remember what this one was?

Then when I turn them both over I reveal the one on the right a split second before the left, Curried card. Getting their eyes on the totally clean card is nice misdirection for the Curry change hand (whether it's needed or not).
Haven't been caught yet...
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2959 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Matt is correct about the need for motivation with the Curry Change. It's ideal for a two card transposition. Get two contrasting cards e.g. AS and QH to 2nd and 3rd from the top. Now DT and show AS. Turn double down and deal X card on left side. Now DT and show QH. Turn double down and remove top card (AS). Hold it over the pad on the right side. Snap it and, as you begin to show that the AS is now on the right, do Curry on left side. The QH is seen there. The use of the left hand in turning over the card on the left is motivated since your right hand is busy turning over its card. This method of doing a two card transpo also has the advantage of happening immediately. The classic problem of the two card transpo is that the specs forget which card is where.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Curry Turnover Change (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL