The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Tips please! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What is the most amount you received as a tip? A few years ago I received $100.00 from two customers the same day. One customer was an owner of a cab company. I did a show for his daugther. The other person was the wife of a dentist. I did a Christmas party for the adults.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Mike that is great to hear you got a nice tip. It is always great to receive more for all your hard work at an event. I often realize that I get tips based not so much what I do during the show, as what I do before and after the show and how I conduct myself. People really do appreciate a professional who goes the extra mile and conducts him/herself with dignity.

I guess the largest tip I ever got was probably around $100-150 for when I performed for the Eagles players at their family picnic. I also got a nice tip performing magic for an owner of a pizza chain here in the city area.

I never get frustrated if I do not receive a tip, as the money I quote to them in the contract is what is agreed upon. It is just nice to receive a tip if the client feels my services went above and beyond their own expectations.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Christmas Party for Air 2000 at Manchester International Airport many years ago. Came away with a turkey that would just about fit in the oven and a quality bottle of champagne and chocolates. On the subject of tips, it is sometimes the case that you can do a party for people who are visibly not as well off as yourself, and they think it is the 'done thing' to give a tip. I feel awful about this, but thank them warmly and sincerely as to refuse would be an insult.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I also have noticed that the rich and well off customers do not tip that much, but the people who are not as well off really are the ones who want to give me a tip happily. Has this happened to others as well? I just always find it funny.
Kyle Peron

Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
I delivered pizzas for nine years (what was I thinking?!?!), and the "working class" people ALWAYS tipped the best. I got a lot of $5 tips (in my area, that was a BIGGIE) from places you wouldn't think would be able to afford the pizza and a lot of "keep the change (and I DO mean change)" from some of the $200,000 houses. One of the largest car dealers in that town always gave me a 29 cent tip. Needless to say, when my car gave out, I didn't go shopping at his place.
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
I have experienced this whole rich=no tips / average=more tips!

July 4th party, 90 degrees outside, did a 45-minute show right in the hot sun. It was friends of my mom so I charged $30 and she gave me a $50 check. My mom told me she didn't have much money so I charged her only $30 and she gave me $50.

My aunt's brother (not my side of the family) is one of the richest guys in New Hampshire. Went to his house for a party and they asked me if for their 5-year-old son's birthday I'd do a show in a few weeks.

Looking at their house I accepted...hehehe! Get there and she asks how much I charge so I say, "Whatever you think you want to pay me, I'm fine with!" I got $40 from a guy that's whole third floor is a HUGE game room for their four kids....end of story.
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1009 Posts

Profile of Quentin
The main thing with tips is that when you are getting them regularly, you should put your fees up, because you're not charging enough.

The most meaningful "tip" I ever got was performing a show in what would be regarded as a very rough area of high rise social flats. A local charity booked me to perform in the courtyard as part of a family day. The place was so packed the audience was all standing. Many adults watched from the balconies.

After the show, which went well (ever notice "deprived" children make the best audiences?) a seven-year-old girl came over and handed me an ice cold can of Coke and said, "Me Ma says tahnks for the show."
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Quentin:

That is an awesome story and goes to show you that tips can come in many different ways. They may not have had a lot of money to give you, but they wanted to show you that appreciated what you did for them and the kids. That is always the best tip anyone can get.
Kyle Peron

Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
Quote:
On 2003-09-02 12:54, Quentin wrote:
(ever notice "deprived" children make the best audiences?)

You bet. The best kids audience I've ever had was a show I did for a local women's shelter. These kids are less jaded than most and most had never seen a magic show. You can bet there were no "I've seen that before" or "I know how you did that". There were just smiles and squeals of delight. I absolutely love doing those shows.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Once while busking the piers in San Francisco, I received a $100 tip for a balloon animal. (The guy was trying to impress his date and that was just fine with me.)

At once recent engagement, a corporate customer doubled my total bill as a tip and reserved me for next year's event. That was a nice chunk of change.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5826 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
JSMagic,

I will just cut to the chase.

Please consider the following:

You lied to your aunt's brother. You said, "Whatever you think you want to pay me, I'm fine with!" but clearly you are not fine with it as you are dredging it up on a web site for all to see.

The mistake was your part. You didn't ask for a price and that is just bad business. You were paid 10 more dollars than you asked the first time. Maybe they heard you asked for 30 last time so they:
  1. judged that was what you thought you were worth.
  2. they paid you more than you had asked for in the past because they can afford to.
If you devalue your services by asking for a cheap or non-existant price, don't be surprised when your client has the same devalued impression of your worth.

It is a lesson learned, I hope.

And I always say if you can learn your lessons without losing money, you are ahead of most.

Cheers,

Tom
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2003-09-03 01:08, Tom Cutts wrote:
JSMagic,

I will just cut to the chase.

Please consider the following:

You lied to your aunt's brother. You said, "Whatever you think you want to pay me, I'm fine with!" but clearly you are not fine with it as you are dredging it up on a web site for all to see.

The mistake was your part. You didn't ask for a price and that is just bad business. You were paid 10 more dollars than you asked the first time. Maybe they heard you asked for 30 last time so they:
  1. judged that was what you thought you were worth.
  2. they paid you more than you had asked for in the past because they can afford to.
If you devalue your services by asking for a cheap or non-existant price, don't be surprised when your client has the same devalued impression of your worth.

It is a lesson learned, I hope.

And I always say if you can learn your lessons without losing money, you are ahead of most.

Cheers,

Tom

I don't see where he lied. How is he dredging it up on the web for all to see? This is a forum to exchange ideas and experiences. You seem to want to police everything everyone says if it doesn't fit with your take on things.

He saw an expensive house and took a gamble he'd get more than he asked for. Good job JS!!! I like your style!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
Greetings...

I take the road that if you are doing magic for money, you set your price at what you feel is acceptable for what you do (i.e. you may want $5,000 for a show, but if you know every other magi in the area charges $150 for the same kind of show and you'll never get $5,000, you charge $150 too...). And don't count on a tip for income. Count on a tip as a bonus if it happens. If you don't give a client a price up front, that's not business, that's doing magic for fun (and often peanuts)!

When I was about 12 or 13, I did a child's birthday show for a woman who agreed to pay me a price up front, but then after the show she gave me a fountain pen instead of cash (I'm sure the pen was something she had lying in her house). Over 20 years later, I still remember that ***** woman...

Anyways, I've gotten lots of goodies over the years as tips, cash and prizes, but as someone else said before, it seems that the before and after do as much for the tipping situation as the show itself...

And of course the best rewards are when people come up to me in public and say, "Hey, I remember when..." back when they were little kids...

Joe
Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Right on, Joe!!!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
After performing close-up, I once received a $350.00 tip. I did not realize how much it was until I was packing up. I actually thought that the host (who was drinking) had made an error. I went back inside to thank him & pointed out to him that I thought he had made an error with the tip. He asked how much he had given me. When I told him $350.00, he said that it was what he intended. I was shocked & happy.

I have received countless $100.00 tips & many tips between $100 & $300 but $350.00 was the highest.

As for restaurant work, usually between $5 & $20 with one or two $50 tips.
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
At a birthday party I'm just happy if they let me have some cake! Kidding.

I have never gotten a large bill like a $100 or anything, but a few $20's and the like. A person should really take into account that a tip is not "required", it's a "tip" for work above and beyond what a customer expects. Furthermore, some people just flat out don't realize that our business revolves around tips. I am one of 3 people in my area doing magic in resturants. Before the 3 of us started, nobody here had ever even heard of magic in resturants, so of course the tips were not good. Over the last couple of years people have caught on and tips go up, but I NEVER rely on them. Just my 2 pennies.

Keith Smile
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Tips please! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL