The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic in Medicine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bigmac
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Bigmac
As part of a new book project I'm working on I'm looking for anecdotal stories from doctors and other health care workers about their use of magic in their practices. I'm aware of Copperfield's Project Magic but in this case I'm looking for stories of encounters with individual patients in doctor's and dentist's offices, bedside, etc. If you have a story like that or even are willing to give me the names of doctors/dentists/psychologists/nurses you know involved in magic I'd appreciate the information.

Dr. Ralph Mackitosh
Hoag Cancer Center
Newport Beach, CA 92658
949 760-5528
bigmac5@earthlink.net
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Milt Kort was a Pharmacist.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Ralph:
I am not a doctor or a health practioner but I have often done magic for magic week in which my magic has really enlightened and made a difference in the medical mental status of the patients I performed for. I am not sure if you are looking for stories along these lines, but PM me if you are interested.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
bobmcmathman
View Profile
New user
Arizona
43 Posts

Profile of bobmcmathman
Hi Dr Ralph,

I'm a PA who works in ERs in Maine in the summer and teaches medical topics around the country in the winter from my base in Tucson. I am new to using magic in the clinical setting- mostly to calm patients, as an ice breaker, and to impress the rest of the staff that I have more to offer than just my incredible brain! I'd love to discuss with you some of my experiences, and hear some specifics from you on effects which you've used or heard used, in medicine.
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
Cool project - is this still going on?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bigmac,

My wife is both a magician and a physician. I'm sure she would have some interesting stories but I doubt she would have time to find this thread by accident.

Perhaps sending her a PM on the Café would get her attention faster. Her username on The Café is Lucy.

Good luck on your project.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
Dear Dr. Mackitosh,

I'm not a physician yet, but I did a great deal of volunteer work at the hospital while in high school. I did the usual jobs of checking patients in and stocking procedure rooms, but when things weren't too hectic I would sit with patients in the pre-op and post-op rooms. My magic always made its way into that setting. I definitely took a great deal of touching moments away with me after working that job, finding that I could take people's awareness away from the foreign medical environment and make them feel completely at home. That holds a huge place in my heart. Last December when I competed at nationals as Miss Teen Cleveland, I took on "Magic in Medicine" as my unofficial platform to promote with the judges. The response I received was incredible. People seem to relate very well with the topic, as it focuses on empathy and patient-centered caring, some of the most important aspects of medicine.

I'm currently doing a project similar to yours; I'm writing a research paper on the impact of magic in medicine for my Sociology of Health and Health Care course. If you're still working on this, I would love to exchange stories. I would also like to recommend my IBM sponsor Dr. Bruce Averbook to you. He's an amazing surgeon and accomplished magician who works at the hospital I volunteered at. Also the president of our local ring, Dr. Averbook has been one of my greatest role models in both medicine and magic. I'm sure he would be a great resource for you.

Sincerely,

Angela Funovits
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I'm not certain, but I believe Jeff McBride has an upcoming seminar sprecifically on magic for medical professionals.

Dan.
Jizmagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Jizmagic
I am a dentist and a magician. I have used magic for many years in my practice, especially with kids. It's amazing the effect that magic can have on a young patient who is a little shy or nervous - even producing a streamer silk using a TT can produce smiles and laughter- I always want my patients to have fun at my office!
May the magic be with you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic in Medicine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL