The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Double Sword Through Neck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Teacher Brad
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Teacher Brad
I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good quality double sword through neck product?
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Hi Brad: At present, there aren't any being made. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The only decent one was made by Mak Magic many years ago - if you can find oe of these, pick it up.

When I say there aren't any being made, I'm referring to a quality prop that's usable. If you do decide to buy one of the many being sold, buy it with a money-back guarantee. If they won't do that, don't buy it - unless you have the money to throw away. Most of the newer ones are junk.

Jim
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1771 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Teacher Brad:

I'm just curious as to why you want a double Vs. a single sword through neck...I would be interested to hear what you have to say.....
Teacher Brad
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Teacher Brad
To be completely honest I just think it gives a better overall effect. I am not entirely sure if this is actually the case, but I can only seem to find the single sword though neck gimmick that are kind of cheap and the swords don't look the slightest bit real.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22409 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Teacher, the real looking ones that use to be made was over $1000.00, if you want to spend that kind of money then when you get 50 posts, put your request in the 'Let's Make a Deal' section of the Café. None are made from real swords.

The double is really not as effective as the the single. You are limited by such things as not being able to blow smoke or run a ribbon through the spectators neck. And you have to penetrate both swords at the same time. Finally, the double does not allow for a comedy presentation.

I would recommend the Abbott model made by them, with a single sword.
Teacher Brad
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Teacher Brad
Thanks for the advice everyone; it is great to hear what is really out there and the things to consider. I looked at the Abboo model and it looks really good (not sure if anyone else uses one or not, opinions welcome), just wondering (without revealing anything) I get how the smoke effect would work, for the ribbon is it just put through with the sword at the same time? Also, what do you mean by 50 posts?

Thanks for the help everyone.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Brad!

I’ve used the Grant double blade version for many years.
It is unavailable, but comes up used here and on other auction sites.

It truly can play as a full-on Illusion, if presented well,
yet takes up very little space compared to Illusion boxes and such.

It looks quite professional and the swords, for this method, quite convincing, far more than the cheap one-sword jig-cut flat wood handles on most today.

It was painted black only, with cut out silver metal trim on stock and swords.

It is pure overkill to blow smoke through, or run a ribbon through,
or other unnecessary proof or waste of valuable state time.
The double push trough is startling and very convincing.

I actually sold my first one, I thought is was too bulky with the long swords, I highly regretted not having it as the double sword was so very convincing, and looked all over creation until I found another.

That’s my opinion on this great prop, hope you can find on over time.

Magically,
Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I use an old single sword through neck. I wouldn't be surprised if it is 20 years old. I don't go for realistic in my routine. To me, the method is obvious to an audience, and the presentation is what counts. I think a comedy routine is the only way around this.

If you want a better sword, go to a dollar store and buy a kids toy sword where the handle is held together by screws. Make sure that there are screws holding the blade in. Take the blade from your sword through neck out of its handle and put holes where they would line up for the screws for the new handle. Put the trick blade in the handle and tada! A nicer looking sword. I wish I still had the one I made to take pictures of. I'll have to make another.
-Matt
DanChristopher
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of DanChristopher
Definitely a trick made for a comedy presentation - keep the props simple - get the laughs!
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Ah, another new boy working towards his fifty posts, gotta love the enthusiasm <grin>
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
budja
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of budja
I just got one. Can't wait to try it out.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
On 2011-12-10 11:33, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
Ah, another new boy working towards his fifty posts, gotta love the enthusiasm

The "new boy" joined in 2004, posted once in 2009 and again in this topic in 2011. At this rate he should hit 50 posts by the year 2170.
budja
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of budja
I just got mine!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Double Sword Through Neck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL