The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bobo Switch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Does somebody have a link to a good video of a bobo switch? I've practiced it a million times but I would like to see someone do it as to get an idea of what approach to take. Thanks!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hi cablerock, welcome to the Café. Smile

I love the Bobo Switch, been doing it since I was a kid. Your question is exactly where to use it I think? To me it's best used on the offbeat within a routine, rather than the way it's often demonstrated, just as a trick itself. I use it in a few effects still to this day and it always works well moreso within a routine. I have an effect called The Golden Jurney where I use it to bring about a surprise ending, pretty neat trick. I have to post a vid of that one day, it's a lot of fun. Smile

In general, a good approach I think before doing a bobo switch is to lead the specs off the trail by giving them the coin to examine and then do the move as you toss the coin back into the left hand.

Also reach out here to guys like Tim Feher and Ben Salinas (Tell them Mb sent'cha) Smile for some views and thoughts they might have for you on it, they are Bobo enthusiasts and experts. Smile The Bobo Switch is a simple old move but a goodie and still very relavent today as I expect it will be tomorrow as well, IMHO. Smile

And again, welcome. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Chris W
View Profile
Regular user
Have you seen my
176 Posts

Profile of Chris W
Cablerock,

Have you seen Eric Jones' version of the Bobo Switch? It's called the Jones Switch and is on his Metal DVD. He changes things up slighly, but it looks cool.
swayne100
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of swayne100
I agree about the Jones Switch, worth checking out.

On youtube, type in "presto chango". If that's the routine I'm thinking of using a coppoer/silver, then you should see someone doing the bobo switch
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Thanks guys! I actually had been working on the presto chango and hand't thought of just looking up a video. I'm having trouble getting the angle of the switch right. When I do a straight up and down throw my index finger bends a bit too much, and when I'm doing a sideways-ish throw I tend to hit the coins together a little bit. I'll continue working on it and see where it goes. Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
You might want to check out pistol grip technology, on the NYCMS dvd series. It is a modified Bobo switch that allows for a very clean open hand display after the switch, and the ability to go right into JW grip. Gallo explains how he does the switch very nicely as well in several of his effects.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Any specific references to which DVDs have Mike Gallo teaching this move?

Jerry
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
If you want to learn something correctly you have to learn it from the masters. This is my opinion. And this guy obviously hasn't mastered anything.
What I also don't like is when I see magicians tossing a coin 3-4 times on their hand before doing the switch.. Does it look silly only to me? I mean when you are doing this, it's like saying: look, look lay people I'm going to do the move now..
When I need to do a Bobo switch I just take the coin, show it on both sides (without mentioning it at all) and do the switch.
Simplest way is always the best.. And the most natural.
Searching for the magic side of life...
Dan Efran
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA
150 Posts

Profile of Dan Efran
Yeah, I never believed Bobo when he said to really toss it a few times first.

cablerock, I was surprised to read that your index finger bends...so I looked at Bobo again, and now I realize that the handling I use is quite different from what's in the book. You might like it better: start with the visible coin displayed as in figure 4 of "Quarter and Half Dollar Transposition" (in Bobo)...your view is basically figure 1 of The Coin Roll (also in Bobo). Vertical toss, and slide it down.
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
Just to avoid any misunderstanding I was not referring to Bobo or Mr. Gallo or anyone else here on this thread. There was a link exposing the technique that has been deleted.
Searching for the magic side of life...
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Natural is a great key to coin and other magic.

Presto Chango was and still is a great effect, especially as part of a larger routine. I think it was after seeing Up in Smoke DVD that I recalled the original version.

Thanks for the reminder.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bobo Switch (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL