The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Laminate flooring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Has anyone used this for making props?
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I tried using the plastic laminate flooring once to make a wood-grain-looking prop, but I thought it looked strange. I probably wouldn't hesitate to try it again with the real wood laminate flooring, though.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
Mr. Magicians,

The downside is it will look like a wood floor so it depends on the application. Strips of wood three or four inches wide, side by side, great for a floor but not so much for most other things. So if you wanted to make a box for example, you wouldn't want it to look like sections of a wood floor. A veneer is probably a more logical way to go in that case.

Respectfully,

Phil
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The planking is 5" exactly the width of my box, and it I was curious. Once painted, the imprint of he planking disappears anyway. Thanks for the feedback.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-09-25 18:49, magicians wrote:
The planking is 5" exactly the width of my box, and it I was curious. Once painted, the imprint of he planking disappears anyway. Thanks for the feedback.

Kind of defeats the main feature of laminate wood flooring, doesn't it? Did you find it a cheaper source than other materials?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Nah, I tore up a floor and have an abundance of planks to play with.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Cool! I have nothing against re-purposed materials, when they do the job! I'd imagine if you can get some clean cut edges, they might make some nice looking, albeit, smaller boxes in their natural state. With small boxes you'd not have a seam in the middle of a panel.

How well does the stuff paint?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Krylon, covers anything.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-09-28 08:30, magicians wrote:
Krylon, covers anything.

Except another coat of Krylon.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Or the cap on top
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Wait, then how does the cap get the color?
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-09-28 13:09, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Wait, then how does the cap get the color?

Sorry, we can't give methods on an open forum! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I've used it to make a "wooden crate" effect on a mirror box. It turned out rather nice!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Laminate flooring (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL