The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How old were you when you started mentalism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Didier Chantome
View Profile
New user
FRANCE
57 Posts

Profile of Didier Chantome
I started playing with a pendulum at 7, searching everything everywhere (and finding something sometimes, yeah !)

I learned the basics of magic in my teens, and in the same time, I learned astrology, palmistry, numerology, and doing readings with runestones, cards, and so on... I've always an interest for the esoteric.

I falled into mentalism at 25 ...

I'm planning to sell my rusty linking rings.... tomorrow...

best

Didier
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I started magic at 12. When I was 13 I purchased a mentalism set. At that time I was not entertaining my spectators (teenagers) with mentalism. I did not keep up with it because it did not interest me.

I have been performing Die Cipher2, Mental Epic, Out of This World, Brainwave Deck, mind reading card tricks, Thought Transmitter and a few others for years now. I kept looking at the effects as magic tricks.

Last year is when it seriously got my attention.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Why not at 12 mike and why now?
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
I was a magician illusionist until age 28 then after seeing Craig Karges live in college at 28, discovered a new show with few props to lug around. And more audience incorporated than flashy boxes and lights on stage.

Still do the show on a stage, but without multiple assistants or tons of gear. Still have props to use, but much smaller and not painful in shipping around.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-06-26 18:36, chichi711 wrote:
Why not at 12 mike and why now?

Reread the post carefully, it should answer your question.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Ya no that does not really answer it. What made it not entertaining when you were 13 and what makes it entertaining now for your spectators?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Talent
JustinCredible28
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
217 Posts

Profile of JustinCredible28
Twelve, or 13-- then after a LONG break (all throughout highschool, due to the fact that my parents took away all my books--haha, I know, harsh!-- due to my grades being affected by studying the art rather than homework-- I'm sure some of you can relate Smile), I picked it back up in my 20's (I'm 30 now).

--Justin--
"a distorted reality is now a necessity to be free. . ." -- Elliott Smith

http://www.NWFortuneTeller.com
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
16 years old and taught by the best, Ted K.
davidlai308
View Profile
Veteran user
Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
376 Posts

Profile of davidlai308
19 years old . Saw Maven performing and said ` That's freggin weird! '. I never saw a performer upholding a stage personality like how Maven did . That started my flame .
An entrepreneur by day , a magician by night . Satiate my mind & you've won my heart .
www.superhumanz.online
ChuckHickok
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of ChuckHickok
I arrived late to Magic and Mentalism.

I bought my first Magic book at age 35 ... Joinded my first Magic Club at age 37 ... Got hooked on Mentalism at age 40 ... Presented my first paid show at age 52.

It is never too late to pursue your dreams.

Chuck Hickok
Age 63
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Think of a two digit number.....okay take away the second from the first and multiply it by 4.32156. that's how old!

Okay, 45! Smile

And I firmly agree with Chuck above. (And look at the success its brought him!)
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I can top that with an immature 49 Smile
Oh I missed Chucks 52 since I made a couple of bucks last year Smile
That's a tie Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
lejon
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of lejon
Quote:
On 2007-06-27 15:12, ChuckHickok wrote:
I arrived late to Magic and Mentalism.

I bought my first Magic book at age 35 ... Joinded my first Magic Club at age 37 ... Got hooked on Mentalism at age 40 ... Presented my first paid show at age 52.

It is never too late to pursue your dreams.

Chuck Hickok
Age 63

just love that one, makes me feel better....

I entered a magic shop first time when I was 30, I met that strange guy who told me : "or you do tricks, or you do real magick.... have you ever met Harry Potter?"

so I actually baught his book compendium sortilegionis and that's how I entered bizarrism and mentalism. I also rediscovered FANTASTIC thanks to that meeting ( you know, these stories you cant read cos it's not serious, study instead if you want to become a lawyer, like your father). changed my life...

never performed, but I have time... up to twelve years it seems...
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
Quote:
On 2002-04-29 21:57, Thoughtreader wrote:

I started to study it at the age of 12 but wasn't ready to perform it until another 16 years. I had to perfect my stage presence skills.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

I do not recommend rushing into performing like this. It can lead to careless mistakes. Study is most important and must not be treated lightly. Not ever.

I began my serious study at the age of 7 and, after nearly 34 years of intensive training I finally performed my first mentalism show.

My years of study paid off and the show was a success. My stage presence skills were honed to perfection.

Soon I hope to be ready to perform again. But only after a few more years of careful study.

Sometimes I wish I was just into magic.
The Bean
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of The Bean
Hihi! everyone, sorry I'm not on a lot because at home I have dial up so I can only get on at my dads...
but anyways I first performed at universal when I was 9yrs old also I did radio shows in longview when I was 9 too! (kinda busy for an adolescent girl I no!) I did the radio show for two years and when I was 11 I started doing a radio show here in daytona with natalie emerson... and that's how I'm getting started. Smile
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
I was 11 when Don Tanner taught me Nu-Way OOTW and 13 when Rev. Hoy talked with me about his TOD and BT. I was fortunate to correspond with Sen. Crandall about magic, myth and religion during that time as well as Lu Brent about showmanship. Here in the 21st century, the Magic Café provides me closest with what I experienced then and I am grateful.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Welcome back Bean.

We missed you around here.
Are you going to be doing the NR show on Saturday?

And please keep that old man of your's out of trouble. Smile

Tony
The Bean
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of The Bean
Thanks tony...good tobe back in florida! I'm looking forward to a great couple months w/ my dad! Smile

Kyleen<3
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
I started working mentalism into my act less than a decade ago. I knew I had the skills to do it however, since before I was born. (I predicted my own birth).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How old were you when you started mentalism? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL