The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The Gary Animal Street Devils, Set 15 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
For the completeness of the art-historical record, I thought that my masters and teachers might like to see the Gary Animal Street Devils, Set 15. They are in copper.

The design of these cups approaches perfection, and the workmanship is superb. They fit the hand like a glove, their weight is perfect, and they stack like a dream, with a delightful bell-like clang.

To give you an idea of their prodigious size, here is another picture:

It will be a long time before my skills in handling them will begin to do justice to the thought and care that have gone into them. But I am grateful to their designer and maker for allowing me to have them, and to the friends who led me to them and helped me to acquire them.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
SWEEEET!!
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
I'm speechless!!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Mike McErlain
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto & Green Cove Springs, FL
130 Posts

Profile of Mike McErlain
Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
These are absolutely magnificent! Thanks so much for posting and sharing them with the lot of us here mate!
All the best,
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
It has taken longer than I expected, but I have something to show my masters and teachers here.

Take a look at Set Number 15 in its new dress:

Those are the only nickel-plated Gary Animal Street Devils in the world (or were in December, anyway.)

Here's another picture:

I worried over this project for a long time. First of all, I sought the permission of the maker for making this alteration. Gary was enthusiastic.

But I did think twice about giving them a shiny exterior. Previously, I had painted the interior of my first set of cups red, fearing that the shiny surface would give a tell, particularly if the cup is placed mouth up. I hadn't worried so much about the exterior.

But then I had to confront what the magisterial Al Schneider writes in his recent book: "The cups should not be smooth and shiny. The problem is that smooth and shiny surfaces reflect the contents of the hand when the cup is being picked up or placed onto the table. The surface can reflect the contents of the hand like a mirror enabling someone at the right position to see the ball clearly, as if it were lying on the table."

That comment did give me pause, but I decided to go ahead with this project. I still wanted a larger set of nickel-plated cups to go with a set of Sherwoods.

I don't get out much, but enlisted a friend of mine to visit local nickel plating shops. He found an industrial outfit that was willing to take on the job, batching it with other small items from other customers in order to hold down the set-up costs.

I have to say that I am delighted with the results. Here's another picture with a little more paraphernalia added for context:

In order to show the nickel plating shop what I wanted, I asked my friend to show them one of the Sherwood cups. And I am pleased to report, that the nickel-plating expert thought that the work on the Sherwood cups was superb. Almost unbelievable. He said that it was hard to believe that the Sherwood cup was nickel-plated and not silver or German-silver plated. In addition, he said that the interior plating of the Sherwood cup was remarkable, and that it would be impossible for his shop to reproduce interior nickel plating of that quality.

So in addition to embellishing the impeccable artistry of the Gary Animal cups with a novel and enchanting appearance (I hope you will agree!), I can also give you an impartial and objective professional's opinion of the superb artistry and workmanship of Brett Sherwood's cups.

In case anybody here didn't already know!

I am still not finished with these cups.

I would like to give them an interior like the interior of a Queen Conch Shell, but I have not found the right nacreous paint, nor the proper technique, to achieve that - yet. I have also considered giving them a flocked interior, that might further deaden sounds.

One final picture for you, showing that the local expert shop was in fact unable to produce an interior as thickly coated and as shiny as a Sherwood cup:

Hope you enjoy!
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
Magnificent!
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
WOW!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
They are beautiful!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The Gary Animal Street Devils, Set 15 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL