The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Why "Greater Magic"? (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
362 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
For those of us who perform on the mental side of magic, is the section on mental magic conprised of entries found in other publications of the time, or were they published solely for GREATER MAGIC?

This is mere curiosity, and does not deter my quest to find an afforadable copy of the book.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-05-05 11:03, Mr Timothy Gray wrote:
For those of us who perform on the mental side of magic, is the section on mental magic conprised of entries found in other publications of the time, or were they published solely for GREATER MAGIC?

This is mere curiosity, and does not deter my quest to find an afforadable copy of the book.

From my studying of the history of this book, some of the effects may indeed have appeared in some of the journals and smaller booklets at the time, but, what made Greater Magic so revolutionary is that it was at the time the largest collection of magic in a single volume ever available to magicians and mentalists. Even now, it is the third largest magic monograph ever printed:

1. The James File
2. Stewart James in Print: The First Fifty Years
3. Greater Magic

Reading copy and reviews of the time (1938) this book was hailed even at publication as one of the essential books for any working library. The fact that this book has stood the test of time certainly proves how prophetic the statements were.

The book is worth the search whether it's the Jones original or the expanded Richard Kaufman edition. It is, as many have stated, a complete course in magic in one volume.

Duaneberry, thanks for providing the citation to the Lee Jacobs published book! ( The version I have was published by Lee Jacobs so I need to research the reason why Carl Jones allowed Hilliard's book to be published simultaneously.

Namaste,
Vlad
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
"Greater Magic", probably the most comprehensive and best single book ever written on magic as a whole. Hardbound, 1330 pages! One of my favorites EVER and I recently acquired a copy in new condition for a great price! Greater Magic: A Practical Treatise On Modern Magic by John Northern Hilliard. His manuscripts and notes were edited by Carl W. Jones and Jean Hugard. Dedicated to Angelo Lewis (Professor Hoffmann), author of Modern Magic, it was illustrated by Harlan Tarbell.

Greater Magic was released in 1938 as an encyclopedia of magic intended specifically for magicians, not the general public. It was only distributed and advertised within the conjuring world. It covers magic with cards, silks, billiard balls, sponge balls, cups & balls, coins, cigarettes and cigars, bills, ropes, the linking rings, mentalism, magic squares, apparatus magic, stage illusions, and more.

It contains 715 effects, contributed by over 100 magicians, including some of the greatest names of the day: Max Holden, Percy Abbott, J. N. Hofzinser, Theodore Annemann, Horace Goldin, Al Baker, Ade Duval, Karl Germain, David and Theo Bamberg, Dr. James Elliott, Joe Berg, Jardine Ellis, Sam Berland, T. Nelson Downs, Harry Blackstone (Sr.), David Devant, Floyd Thayer, Carl Brema, Cardini, Buatier DeKolta, Milbourne Christopher, Chung Ling Soo, S.H. Sharpe, Dr. Jack Daley, Paul Curry, Stanley Collins, Harlan Tarbell, S. Leo Horowitz, Houdini, Selbit, Edwin Sachs, Jean Hugard, John Scarne, Burling Hull, Stewart James, Paul Rosini, Joseffy, Stewart Judah, John Ramsay, Billy O'Connor, Harry Kellar, Lester Lake, Mora, Jack Merlin, William W. Larsen (Sr.), Paul LePaul, John Nevil Maskelyne, Max Malini, Nate Leizig, Eugene Laurant, Sid Lorraine, Audley Walsh, Robert Stull, Howard Thurston, William H. McCaffery and Dai Vernon.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2015, sirbrad wrote:
"Greater Magic", probably the most comprehensive and best single book ever written on magic as a whole. Hardbound, 1330 pages! One of my favorites EVER and I recently acquired a copy in new condition for a great price! Greater Magic: A Practical Treatise On Modern Magic by John Northern Hilliard. His manuscripts and notes were edited by Carl W. Jones and Jean Hugard. Dedicated to Angelo Lewis (Professor Hoffmann), author of Modern Magic, it was illustrated by Harlan Tarbell.

Greater Magic was released in 1938 as an encyclopedia of magic intended specifically for magicians, not the general public. It was only distributed and advertised within the conjuring world. It covers magic with cards, silks, billiard balls, sponge balls, cups & balls, coins, cigarettes and cigars, bills, ropes, the linking rings, mentalism, magic squares, apparatus magic, stage illusions, and more.

It contains 715 effects, contributed by over 100 magicians, including some of the greatest names of the day: Max Holden, Percy Abbott, J. N. Hofzinser, Theodore Annemann, Horace Goldin, Al Baker, Ade Duval, Karl Germain, David and Theo Bamberg, Dr. James Elliott, Joe Berg, Jardine Ellis, Sam Berland, T. Nelson Downs, Harry Blackstone (Sr.), David Devant, Floyd Thayer, Carl Brema, Cardini, Buatier DeKolta, Milbourne Christopher, Chung Ling Soo, S.H. Sharpe, Dr. Jack Daley, Paul Curry, Stanley Collins, Harlan Tarbell, S. Leo Horowitz, Houdini, Selbit, Edwin Sachs, Jean Hugard, John Scarne, Burling Hull, Stewart James, Paul Rosini, Joseffy, Stewart Judah, John Ramsay, Billy O'Connor, Harry Kellar, Lester Lake, Mora, Jack Merlin, William W. Larsen (Sr.), Paul LePaul, John Nevil Maskelyne, Max Malini, Nate Leizig, Eugene Laurant, Sid Lorraine, Audley Walsh, Robert Stull, Howard Thurston, William H. McCaffery and Dai Vernon.

I couldn't agree more sirbrad! I realize that newcomers to the art are chomping at the bit for the "latest and greatest" and pour bucket loads of money into DVD sets by today's stars like DaOrtiz, Gladwin, Jay, Wind, et. al, but, Greater Magic, now 77 years old STILL contains MUCH that is latest and greatest while also remaining an ESSENTIAL addition to the library of ANY magician.

I realize that such a claim would seem both pompous and preposterous to many but I stand by it as staunchly I do when I say that Tarbell is ALSO essential. Every once in a while, Greater Magic comes up for sale here on The Café. I would STRONGLY urge newcomers to get this profoundly important book that Richard Kaufman called a complete course in magic in one volume. The cost might mean that you have to forego the latest release from [insert latest and greatest online retailer here] but what you get in Greater Magic FAR outweighs what ANY DVD set could give you.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah today's generation wants everything "instantly" and most are too lazy to read books, especially huge ones. But us old-school guys had to read these massive tomes back in the day and it was harder to gain entry into the art back then, and we did not have the internet. We had old black and white catalogs with vague product descriptions and line drawings, and a magician in a top hat and tails with lightning bolts coming out of his fingers; and a promise to make you "the life of the party". I still buy, collect and read those old catalogs. I love DVDS as they are a great learning source, and allows you to see others perform and be able to see the timing and angles of moves a lot better. But I don't think they replace great books. They are great companion though, especially encyclopedia types which are great for referencing.

So those who do not have them have no idea what great material they are missing out on. Also nothing is "dated" because if you are creative and experienced enough you can adapt anything to the current times. Sometimes you don't even have to as those "acts" are acts in themselves and I do classic acts all the time and people love them. I love books, DVDS, eBooks etc, all are great learning tools. But books are special to me as they are what started it all, once I made my journey to the local public library. I love the fact that I have walls of huge books on magic that I can read anytime and find hidden gems, and that I have so much information waiting for me within.

Today's generation do not know what it was like to wait 10-12 weeks for magic, they get mad if they do not get it in 2-3 days. But I am glad I was fortunate enough to learn the correct way, and read tons of books so I could learn as much as possible and still do. Video was a Godsend and I still love it, but you get so much more bang for your buck with books. But I think both are great and important. I think Jeff McBride said on his "essential books" video that "If you want new ideas look in old books, if you want old ideas look in new books." Eugene Burger also had Greater Magic as one of his top 3 and talked about as well which made it want it even more as I am a huge fan if his magic and work and I have most of his books and DVDS. "The Dean" knows that he is talking about! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig58bZe6c-o

Another great thing about reading those old catalogs and books is that it forced you to use your imagination. You had to imagine what everything was supposed to look like, and actually think about it which also forced you to become more creative as opposed to just copying someone else.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I also love Tarbell equally as well, I even printed out my own "Magic Diploma" long ago when I completed the 8 book set. I enlarged the original years ago and printed it out as if it was from Harlan Tarbell himself, and framed it and put it on my wall. Smile Recently I made my own better quality ones that I will be awarding myself once I get through the entire original lessons book. I love doing stuff the way it was originally done, and keeps me even more motivated and is more fun as well due to the authentic, nostalgic factor. Smile I am also thrilled that I was able to obtain a complete set of physical books of the "Hugard's Magic Monthly", and "Rice's Silk Magic" among many others. So I got A LOT of reading to do!
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Hugard's Magic Monthly is B R I L L I A N T. Smile
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Indeed it is, 23 LBS of brilliance! Smile We share the same love for classic periodicals, and I have most of the eBooks and I am still collecting printed books as I find them and already spent thousands doing so. But the investment was WELL worth it! I also have a lot of the less known classics as well and buy tons of those still when I see them on eBay/Amazon and still got many originals from 35 years ago, and all of the ones that I first started with.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
"And the fact really is that people who read books about magic are better magicians than people who just watch television and DVDS, that's the fact." -Eugene Burger 8:38
Shayde Phoenix
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
117 Posts

Profile of Shayde Phoenix
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2015, sirbrad wrote:
"And the fact really is that people who read books about magic are better magicians than people who just watch television and DVDS, that's the fact." -Eugene Burger 8:38

I won't argue with Eugene's statement...

;)
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah because they also take in a ton of more information than DVDS. DVDS are great supplements for books but not a replacement.
pnielan
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
151 Posts

Profile of pnielan
Getting into magic in the 1970s, many of us started with the best "public" magic book ever: The Amateur Magician's Handbook. In it, Hay often refers to The Art of Magic and Greater Magic (or the subset that was published independently as Card Magic). While the Art of Magic was easily obtainable, I looked for 20 years for a copy of Greater Magic (this was pre-web mostly). Hard to come by. Never found one in a library or at a magic store. And I checked in every city my job took me to. It was only when Richard Kaufman republished it, that I was able to obtain a copy, and I'm glad I pulled the trigger right away.
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
517 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Greater Magic is not only a priceless book, but a very enjoyable reading as well! For me it's like time travel in the past.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2392 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Good news folks, I will be printing a new edition of Greater Magic later this year. The amount of previously unpublished material from Hilliard's notes will be greatly expanded (doubled, I hope), and "More Greater Magic" will become a separate volume (so the new edition will consist of two volumes: the original "Greater Magic" and "More Greater Magic."

Details to follow in time.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2262 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Looking forward to it.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Vlad_77!

I was browsing in Jay Marshall's library, back in the '70s, and was surprised to see SO MANY COPIES of "Greater Magic". Then, Jay took one off the shelf, and said, with "that look" in his eyes: "THIS IS 'THE' COPY!!!" He handed it to me. It seemed quite "normal", until I opened the cover. THERE WAS ONLY THE FIRST CHAPTER! THE REMAINDER OF THE BOOK, WAS BLANK PAGES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay grinned, and, said, "Ya wanna know the story of the "EXPURGATED EDITION"??? I responded, "Well, if you insist, I'll listen." (hee hee)

He assumed his historian manner, and, told me.

I just thought that I would mention this, in case you know, about it, and, would like to tell the tale. (I'm just an old tired out, (reTIRED) school show magician. You are the obvious expert! I would defer to you to explain how the expurgated edition, happened to "happen".

I read the first edition of "GM', when I was about 16. It, and "Tarbell" started me on the right course! With all of the great material in "Greater Magic", I found Chapter XXXI, the most valuable! I never met David Bamberg, but, I did meet his father, Okito, when I was 18, and, it was immediately obvious from whom David had learned!

That chapter begins with a quotation from Duse. --"The secret of art is to eliminate, eliminate, eliminate." About three years later, while attending a leadership training conference, I learned an acronym, KIS - MIF, (Keep It Simple - Make It Fun"). So! Bamberg, Duse, and, KIS - MIF, became my "guides".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On May 17, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:
Vlad_77!

I was browsing in Jay Marshall's library, back in the '70s, and was surprised to see SO MANY COPIES of "Greater Magic". Then, Jay took one off the shelf, and said, with "that look" in his eyes: "THIS IS 'THE' COPY!!!" He handed it to me. It seemed quite "normal", until I opened the cover. THERE WAS ONLY THE FIRST CHAPTER! THE REMAINDER OF THE BOOK, WAS BLANK PAGES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay grinned, and, said, "Ya wanna know the story of the "EXPURGATED EDITION"??? I responded, "Well, if you insist, I'll listen." (hee hee)

He assumed his historian manner, and, told me.

I just thought that I would mention this, in case you know, about it, and, would like to tell the tale. (I'm just an old tired out, (reTIRED) school show magician. You are the obvious expert! I would defer to you to explain how the expurgated edition, happened to "happen".

I read the first edition of "GM', when I was about 16. It, and "Tarbell" started me on the right course! With all of the great material in "Greater Magic", I found Chapter XXXI, the most valuable! I never met David Bamberg, but, I did meet his father, Okito, when I was 18, and, it was immediately obvious from whom David had learned!

That chapter begins with a quotation from Duse. --"The secret of art is to eliminate, eliminate, eliminate." About three years later, while attending a leadership training conference, I learned an acronym, KIS - MIF, (Keep It Simple - Make It Fun"). So! Bamberg, Duse, and, KIS - MIF, became my "guides".

First off Mr. Oslund, it's a real treat to "talk" to you here! I'm a big fan of yours.

I find myself thinking that I'm a salty geezer who berates the young'uns to get off my lawn and read Tarbell and Greater Magic - the unexpurgated edition of course. Smile I'm preparing for a series of formal sit down close up performances - how rare are those? Smile I found myself going straight to Tarbell, Greater Magic, and my other big go to source, Apocalypse. What strikes me constantly is how great these sources are. While Apocalypse is relatively "contemporary," Tarbell and Greater Magic would be considered ancient history to the kids wanting those dreadful one trick pony DVDs. I think of Tarbell and Greater Magic as essential, foundational resources that every magician should have on her/his shelf. I am hopeful that Mr. Kaufman sells boat loads of Greater Magic and More Greater Magic as I'm sure he is. I REALLY hope that newcomers to the art can make the leap to a new paradigm rather than buying every new trick that rolls out of Murphy's. The educator in me wants them to be excited. I bought my copy of Greater Magic 20 years ago Mr. Oslund and it seems like an infinite resource. I believe that Mr. Kaufman stated that it is a complete course in magic and I couldn't agree more.

You have great "guides." To have met Okito had to have been an amazing moment!

As for the expurgated edition, I will gladly tell the tale if there is interest. Thank you so very much for your post!

Best,
"Vlad"
B. Edwards
View Profile
New user
Ohio
47 Posts

Profile of B. Edwards
Quote:
On May 4, 2018, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Good news folks, I will be printing a new edition of Greater Magic later this year. The amount of previously unpublished material from Hilliard's notes will be greatly expanded (doubled, I hope), and "More Greater Magic" will become a separate volume (so the new edition will consist of two volumes: the original "Greater Magic" and "More Greater Magic."

Having a new original version and an updated unpublished version as separate volumes... is a fantastic idea! Smile

I have a first edition copy and I handle it like it were a newborn baby. It would be nice just to read through a copy without worry of the spine cracking, page tears or bits of page corners breaking off.

I am most interested. Smile

Brian
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
362 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
Quote:

Wonderful news!
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
EvilClown
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond, VA
109 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Quote:

This is great news. Andy Greget mentioned to me at MAWNY that Mr. Kaufman would be reissuing GREATER MAGIC but I had not seen an official notice. I will take this to mean that I no longer have to lurk on eBay for a copy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Why "Greater Magic"? (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL