The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Which Illusion to Build? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I am in grade 11 this year and my construction teacher said he will let me build my first illusion. I was wondering which illusion would be good for me?

I always loved the illusion where Lance Burton steps into a vertical box, closes the door, and when opened the body is gone but legs and head are still there. I forgot the name, but I was wondering if I did build that how much would it be for the other parts of the illusion to be built custom to me?

I hope you guys understand that! But any other illusions you could think of that are great and impossible on stage (even though all are depending on the magician) and beautiful in the same way would be great!

Also if you decide to help me out could you say who has the best plans for building. We start shop next week.

Thanks all,

DJ
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
The illusion that Lance presents is based off of the old Disembodied Princess illusion. It is a very complicated illusion in several areas, and really wouldn't be a great first illusion to build, or perform.

However, it is ultimately your decision, so if you decide to look into this illusion further, Abbott's puts out a "workshop plan" for this illusion, and Paul Osborne also puts out a more complicated / comprehensive "blueprint" style plan for it.
Patrick T.
View Profile
New user
Esslingen / Germany
39 Posts

Profile of Patrick T.
Hey DJ!
I'm in grade 11 too, here in Germany. I started to build a Twister Illusion about a month ago and it is almost finished. I don't know if this would be a good "First Illusion" to build for you because I had a few problems building it. But its a great Illusion.

Patrick Thomas
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I'm in 10th grade. Teacher? Like woodshop/metalshop?

Anyway, you should build something easy like a sword through assistant with a vanish. Head twister is a good one too. STA is very easy and so is the vanish Smile

If you would like some help feel free to PM me. Mid-Air from "Touching Sky" is an extremely simple and cheap levitation that is suitable for stage use.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
You say the Disembodied Princess Illusion is difficult in areas. Is it possible to perform at my level (first illusion) with lots of practice? How long would I need to practice before I could perform it without worries? I am building it this year and will be using it the first time in my grade 12 talent show. So I need another assistant to open and close the doors or could I do it myself? Also, where do I get the other parts (I am sure you understand) of the illusion? Could I get the top half of what I am speaking about custom made for me? How much would that be? I can tell Lance has his customized, but he is Lance Burton and all.

It scares me when you say it might not be for me because of difficulty. Give me a number of hours I would need to practice? And would it be possible with the Abbott plan or the others mentioned to have someone walk out of the box when it is opened?

Thanks again guys. And also, I don't want something small like the Twisting Head Illusion. I would like something like Sawing a Woman in Half, Mis-Made Lady, ect....

Yes, I am in grade 11 and my shop teacher is letting me build it.

DJ
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Build something you can use in a variety of performing conditions. If you build Woman w/o a Middle it can only be performed on a procenium stage. Temple of Benares plays well, packs small, and can be performed surrounded if necessary.
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
It could be possible for you to present the Disembodied as your first illusion. Much of this illusion's success hinges on having a certain part of the illusion properly made, the lighting & angles.

There are ways to build the illusion so that is can be performed as much as 3/4 surrounded.

You don't need another on-stage assistant to open and close the doors, you could do all of that yourself. However, the assistant inside of the illusion plays a very crucial role, in more ways than one.

If you really want to present that as your first illusion, it can be done. It won't be easy, and you might not be satisfied with the results.

I have actual on-stage experience with this illusion, so if you would like to talk more in-depth about it, you can contact me.
pyromagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
312 Posts

Profile of pyromagician
A tip over box is a good one for beginners. That was the first one I built.
Gary
P.S. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if "Q" and "R" were eleminated
magicpro
View Profile
New user
montreal
51 Posts

Profile of magicpro
I also agree you can do the Disembodied Illusion for your first illusion Smile
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
The first one I built was a Metamorphosis sub-trunk. This is pretty easy to build, and the benefit here is that it doesn't look like a tricky box. The illusion itself is one of the strongest out there! It can be performed anywhere, and the presentation style is open to many different ideas.

I strongly recommend the sub-trunk as your first illusion to build. Should you need any advice, let me know.

--Jack Smile
Patrick T.
View Profile
New user
Esslingen / Germany
39 Posts

Profile of Patrick T.
Hi!

I just wanted to say that I was not talking about the small Twisting Head Illusion. I'm building the one where the body gets twisted up.

Patrick Thomas
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
My advice is for you to build something that can be performed surrounded. And also... find your assistant now.

Smile

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
I would not recommend the Disembodied Illusion for all the reasons stated above. You will invest a great deal of energy in an illusion that can not be performed under most conditions.

Be practical and build something that you will actually be able to use under almost any conditions.

The Substitution Trunk, Temple of Benares, Twister and Zig Zag all all good first projects.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Which Illusion to Build? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL