The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Freeze the pet food (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
At times I noticed moths in the room where I keep my pets. I noticed they came from my 25 pound bags of rabbit and chinchilla food. It happens more in the summer time when it is more humid. I noticed the same problem with my cockatoo food this year. For now on when I bring home my pet food I will freeze it in my large cubical freezer. It will kill the eggs, larvae and moths before the bag is opened.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Dynamike, Great tip to share with everyone. I had the same problem years ago with my pigeon chow, the big bags would last forever which means the moths hatching out. so we would try to buy big bags and split it amongst bird breeders so we would get rid of it faster. bt still. here came the moths. finally we were told of refridgerating the pellets. who would have thought. So again, thanks for sharing thetip amongst friends.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You are most welcome.
igr8mgkman
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of igr8mgkman
Freezing the food is a great idea! I have done this for many yrs! you are correct it kills anything that can live in the food! I freeze my pets foods in zip lock bags and I take out as I need!
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Yup, we buy parrot food by the 25-50 lb bag and then re-bag it up and freeze it. The best way all around.
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
extremeeric
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
51 Posts

Profile of extremeeric
I do the same freezing for my cockatoo and doves food! Such an easy solution to the bug problem.
igr8mgkman
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of igr8mgkman
I generally break down the parrot food bag which is 35lbs worth into smaller bags. zip lock bags which I take out as I need! I generally use 1 zip lock bag filled for 1 week worth of food! pellets, seeds etc. having a nice freezer in our spare room helps! Free's up our other freezer.
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
461 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
Quote:
On 2011-09-26 18:27, igr8mgkman wrote:
Freezing the food is a great idea! I have done this for many yrs! you are correct it kills anything that can live in the food! I freeze my pets foods in zip lock bags and I take out as I need!

I discovered this solution too after I kept finding moths in the room where I keep my chinchilla and parrots. The pellet parrot food wasn't the problem for me. It was the rabbit/chinchilla food.
Great info! Thanks to all of you that posted comments.
THANK YOU for helping us carry on our laughter ministry in hospitals to kids of ALL ages. Our visits are ALWAYS free. We NEED & DEEPLY appreciate your gifts of magic so that we can do what we do. Please PM me with questions or, for a faster reply, in most cases please text or call 214-578-1601

https://youtu.be/2DbAdXKIf-A
https://youtu.be/sXXXyk6LJgE
igr8mgkman
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of igr8mgkman
You are welcome!
igr8mgkman
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of igr8mgkman
Oh I forgot to mention what I also do is when I take out the bag for 1 weeks of food I place the remaining food into the fridge! living in a hot climate I don't want to take chances!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Freeze the pet food (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL