The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Any excellent linking rope DVDs? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-09-30 22:34, Powermagic wrote:
My desire for the WORK on this is because while this has been around long time, I never had a set. but I was going to be doign some magic in Asia and I had to carry everything in a day pack that I could perform on the spot. I figured , since I know advanced ring moves I could pick up this quickly. However the set of ropes and instructions were lacking as I stated. While I was figuring out my own ways to do a link, and some seemed smooth, I saw some on line that had me wondering if it was just the low resolution video or if there was more to it.

I tihnk many Pete, feel it is a kid magician trick but as you have seen, it can be just as much of a mystery as the rings in teh right hands and can pack small play big. And in a way, it is more of a mystery since the audience can tie the ropes so know they are solid when tied. Where as the rings, are found in plastic kid sets and even the dollar store and some have an idea of how they work. So to take simple ropes, have them tied by the audience and still be able to link and unlink is even stronger in some ways.

And I have been reading some info,(not methods but info) non gimicked ways of linking. I only saw one vid on line and I was not impressed since it was a link but not the fluid linking and unlinking just ungimmicked. IT was only a link and then hand out.

Find out that there were some who have this appreciation for this effect and have worked it out to a point of teaching it on DVD was my goal.
Finding what "work" has been published helps prevent reinventing the wheel.

I wonder if Jeremy Pei ropes are worth the price tag? Ians video is a bargain in comparison. My cheap ropes are a little stiff and yellowed from the glue over all OK. I am just wondering if there are better looking gimmicks than others or if it is all the same rope gimmick just one has more care in manufacturing than $4 set.

I provide the "low end" Empire linking ropes because they have a good visual bright look and are 5/8". They also match closely the rope sold by Danny Baronian and Loftus. The Dances routine is, however, hard on the m****ts glue and one in 12 sets start to get lose and need repair. I suggest a second set be kept handy. Other sets, would probably be the same if you do the "stressful" move. There is only one move that does this and is optional anyway. Under normal conditions and routines, you would never have a problem.
-----------------------
Fab Magic has a cotton set of ropes, nicely made and also inexpensive but only match 1/4" cotton rope which is not always available, and grades differ.
So, at $7.50 to $10 a set, the Loftus Empire brand does not yellow and the gaff stays white and looks really clean. Oh, and they are hollow core.
----------------
There is a "professional set" sold and made by Royal magic. They are just a longer set and cotton.
----------
The Hungarian ropes is a different effect that links, but has a different finale (I have some available, they are red ropes).
-----------------------
The original sets were made by E.J. Moore and are no longer available. They were replaced by an India magic company and made of a slightly starched cotton rope. I don't use them because of the slight formaldehyde smell and stiffer feel.
--------------
Both Pei and I are not selling linking ropes, we are both selling the routine and including the best Linking ropes we can find for the money. Pei's rope is stiffer as it comes from Singapore and even he admits he can't get the rope he would like to sell.
------------
There is an ungimmicked linking effect that uses a special knot to link but it does not unlink and looks (in my opinion) very suspicious.
------------
My un-gimmicked version is virtually identical to standard linking ropes, just tougher to master.
----------
Café chatter on "dances"
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=9
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
It should be possible to make your own gimmicked rope(s) for this routine, using the same rope that you use for other effects. Or perhaps someone reading this who has the necessary skills would offer to do so . . .
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-10-01 06:41, Woland wrote:
It should be possible to make your own gimmicked rope(s) for this routine, using the same rope that you use for other effects. Or perhaps someone reading this who has the necessary skills would offer to do so . . .

Not all ropes are receptive to making the proper gimmick. The method for a good joint has never worked for me, so I buy them.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Thanks for the input Ian. (BTW there is something growing out of your head, get that checked when you can..)
But are some gimmicks more deceptive that "the spot" or are they all about the same ?
Pei states "Gimmicks are Professionally Hand Crafted" but it would seem you have word from him he is not happy with what he sells,
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-10-01 12:52, Powermagic wrote:
Thanks for the input Ian. (BTW there is something growing out of your head, get that checked when you can..)
But are some gimmicks more deceptive that "the spot" or are they all about the same ?
Pei states "Gimmicks are Professionally Hand Crafted" but it would seem you have word from him he is not happy with what he sells,

As I said, Jeremy Indicated that the stiffness of the rope available in Singapore was an issue. It was a PM conversation two years ago. I haven't spoken since then. Jeremy is more known for his very fast PN in combination with some Sands, and fiber optic moves. Use of his mouth (as a third hand).
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jeremy+pei&aq=f

Oh, my picture caption used to say "I am, out of my mind". Thus the schitzoid mirror of me coming from the head.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I would really like to find the video that I mentioned, above . . . Argentine television program . . . long-haired magician, dressed in a suit . . . works almost silently . . . linking ropes . . . very magical performance . . . can't find the thread here where I am sure it was mentioned . . . . anyone?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-10-03 10:45, Woland wrote:
I would really like to find the video that I mentioned, above . . . Argentine television program . . . long-haired magician, dressed in a suit . . . works almost silently . . . linking ropes . . . very magical performance . . . can't find the thread here where I am sure it was mentioned . . . . anyone?

I searched youtube, google ad a few others, and found nothing that was as impressive as you state.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Well it probably was more impressive to me than it would be to the Master.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-10-04 09:52, Woland wrote:
Well it probably was more impressive to me than it would be to the Master.

I looked at a lot of routines while searching for your long haired friend. One or two of the performers used a different gaffed method which allowed linking at the polar end of the loops. This has possibilities, but nearly all of the performers telegraphed their link point. I have always preferred to do the effect with patter and assistant. Perhaps I will do a clip to music.
The other faux pas I see, is devoting valuable time to the non-magical part of tying the knots especially in silent acts. That tightens up when you use an assistant or spectator. I therefore do fast flourish knots ie: "fastest knot in the world" move while tying.
I am probably not "the" master, but I have mastered my moves.
My new DVD (plug. hi-jack) will be out soon and now I will include a musical version.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Ian, Just because you keep saying "hi jack and plug" does not make it proper etiquette to continue to pitch or products. Smile
ReDeFiNe
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of ReDeFiNe
Dear friends,

I happen to bump into this thread about the linking ropes. Thanks for mentioning my routine here.

An update, I have gotten a company to manufacture and market both my Linking Ropes routine and my Eternal Ropes routine. I have since gotten so busy with shows and other projects that I just don't have time anymore to make my own rope gimmicks to sell. The price tag on my sets are not exactly that high however it also has to justify the time I take to make the ropes myself. The ropes I use are brightly colored UV ropes so they show up well from far and the gimmicks won't dirty easily. As Singapore is so humid, we tend to get sweaty palms and that always is a problem for such gimmicks.

As for the routine, I have a linking ropes routine in my Powerful Rope Magic DVD which has the similar moment as that of my released rope set, by adding an additional gimmick into the rope. You could easily modify any commercially purchased linking ropes set to do that move.

I have just seen the final product from my manufacturer and it is excellent. I would be releasing it at a slightly reduced price internationally, as soon as I get stock from them .

Attached is a shot of one of the products and its packaging. I have also done explanation in english and chinese to cater for both market.

New Demo, Professional Linking Ropes Routine
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzA1NzM1ODc2.html

New Demo, The Eternal Ropes
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzA1NzM2OTY0.html

Cheers!

Jeremy

Click here to view attached image.
Jeremy Pei
www.TheSocialMagician.com

For Magicians by Magicians
www.RedefineMagicOutlet.com
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Buy Jeremy's effect, it's the best out there.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-10-04 16:10, Powermagic wrote:
Ian, Just because you keep saying "hi jack and plug" does not make it proper etiquette to continue to pitch or products. Smile

Tell me that when you invent and create something totally original and have pride in it.
Promotion and networking "on the topic" is not forbidden, and I am "on point", and topical and helpful. No-one is going to inform you of a relatively new effect that would work for you. If you start a topic on something I am a total expert on, I am doing the topic a favor by commenting on it. I did not quote a price, nor did I send you an ad (unlike other guys who actually start a thread on their items). That particular effect was created due to members feedback on another of my rope effects, I showed every step of this and acted on suggestions from the Café members (even sent free DVD's and clips).

Even Jeremy jumped in with his plug.

Quote:
On 2011-10-11 01:35, Aaron Smith Magic wrote:
Buy Jeremy's effect, it's the best out there.

Jeremy's linking ropes is different than your standard set. You get (in essence) two sets and the setup is closer to Hungarian linking ropes. I love it as well.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Ian love how you push your own products and try to expose his methods by yoru last statement. I know you think I attck you or do not appreciate your input but there is a point where it was getting one sided and more pushing your sales in my opinion. This does not mean I do not want you input but it does mean you should occassionaly check yourself. Yes Jeremy DID put a plug in, long after you had several. Good for him. Now it is not as one sided/

Ian I want you to understand something. No matter how good your material may be. I never never never go by the word of the manufacturer alone. You have just stated the reasons. You have too much pride in your product to think it is the best of the best. That may or may not be true but you are too close to your own products. So you will get more defensive and did on your last speech about what you think you have a right to post or not.
Far to many Café memember feel they have a RIGHT to hi jack and steer threads on their own agenda. I do not think that is professional or ethical even if the Café allows it. You got to say your piece several times but by you own admission, you try to hijack the thread.

Ian, good luck on your rope dvd sales and I look forward to the new stuff you have coming out. Thank you for you input and I look foraward to what others think of your materail so I have a realistic view point of the product. .

Thank you Jeremy for joing the conversation. I am confused. which product are you putting out. I thought Power Rope was already available.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
984 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On 2011-10-11 23:50, Powermagic wrote:
Thank you Jeremy for joing the conversation. I am confused. which product are you putting out. I thought Power Rope was already available.

All 3 of Jeremy's rope products have already been available, the Powerful Rope Magic DVD, Eternal Rope Set and the Linking Rope Set. He used to hand-make the gimick ropes set himself. The only difference now is that the "New" Linking Ropes set and the "New" Eternal Rope Set is that he got a factory to make them.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-10-11 23:50, Powermagic wrote:
Ian love how you push your own products and try to expose his methods by yoru last statement. I know you think I attck you or do not appreciate your input but there is a point where it was getting one sided and more pushing your sales in my opinion. This does not mean I do not want you input but it does mean you should occassionaly check yourself. Yes Jeremy DID put a plug in, long after you had several. Good for him. Now it is not as one sided/

Ian I want you to understand something. No matter how good your material may be. I never never never go by the word of the manufacturer alone. You have just stated the reasons. You have too much pride in your product to think it is the best of the best. That may or may not be true but you are too close to your own products. So you will get more defensive and did on your last speech about what you think you have a right to post or not.
Far to many Café memember feel they have a RIGHT to hi jack and steer threads on their own agenda. I do not think that is professional or ethical even if the Café allows it. You got to say your piece several times but by you own admission, you try to hijack the thread.

Ian, good luck on your rope dvd sales and I look forward to the new stuff you have coming out. Thank you for you input and I look foraward to what others think of your materail so I have a realistic view point of the product. .

Thank you Jeremy for joining the conversation. I am confused. which product are you putting out. I thought Power Rope was already available.

You are going to get two types of responses to your original question. The end user recommending and suggesting his favorite, or an expert on the linking ropes which is a select group of people, most of whom just do a nice effect. As one of the guys mentioned, there is not a wealth of methods when compared to linking rings.
My particular effect was born on the Café. But, I have been doing a classic audience-participation routine for over 35 years. I have published that performance and then decided to produce my new version. If you remove my posts and see what you are left with, you are just getting advice from two or three people who say "Oh I like this guy", or "you will like this guy".
If I stopped posting my links which are substant-ative, not just biased, you will miss a lot.
In my career, I mostly do my own original magic and have shared most of it. I have done combination effects like Jeremy's, and some others not published. So, when you ask for "Any excellent Linking rope dvd's, there are only two. Jeremy's and mine. They are completely different. I think I have the right to dominate at least half of this thread. There are more than enough complimentary conversations (especially the year I produced mine), to warrant your research question. But, because you had missed that, I had to bring you up to speed.
My effect is distributed to Murphy's magic and selling very well Internationally. The title does not give you a clue as to the utilization of linking ropes, because they are used as a hidden gimmick to accomplish the effect.

So, bottom line. I have around 35 effects on the market over the years, most are non-derivative. When a subject comeh ropes in up on a technique I have developed, you can take it with a grain of salt, as I am the manufacturer. But more than that, with me, its an invention as well, not merely an expansion of existing techniques. I really think of my participation as a service, not a product hype.

old threads:

search: dances with ropes in the Café search, under ropes
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
But Ian when you say you are the master it is self serving and does not come accross very well. Let OTHERS praise you or else the tone of your posts changes. Intersting how you glossed right over the fact you try to tare down Jermey's effect by hinting to some, exposing to others the methods he uses. I that that is rude and have seen you do this before. You forget this board is read by lurkers and magicians who do not know how linking ropes work. Now many magicians on the Café give out too much info. We all forget from time to time.

I do not like you tipping other competitors methods for the sake of moving your own.
The thread was not that old before you chimed in with your plugs.
Again I thank you for any helpful information but once your said your piece and answered any DIRECT questions, enough with the sales plugs OK? Just be respectful to the original post question and you will do fine. What you feel you have a "right" to do and what is proper etiquette. If you can not see that, I do not understand why you choose to be stubborn.

Ian I thank you again for your contributions in all other respects.
In my book you would have been better off starting with the links you only now provided and then let me decide if I had questions from that point.
I love how in the posts how you are not only announcing you also pitching to be booked for lectures. I do not know, just something I do not care for in that approach. It makes it seem less helpful and more just trying to move product and make money. I could be wrong but that is how I see it.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
I do not like you tipping other competitors methods for the sake of moving your own.

Sorry, I assumed every one knew. The clever part of the routine, is not the "mechanical part", but the innovation of the moves he uses, the misdirection etc. I did not mention the method, I alluded that this was a different set-up and extra stuff so as to differentiate and educate.

You see, you can never be too thorough when representing or implying.

The difference between a routine where the apparatus can be bought anywhere ie: linking ropes, linking rings, etc., and a routine requiring "extra apparatus" should be explained.

Now, enough beating me up on this. I posted enough on this subject and apparently no mater what I do, I can't satisfy. I think you have the answer to your original query. Anything else about me you want to pick on? PM me. I get your point and I just don't agree. I am meticulous and careful about my words. Self-serving, yes and deserved. You are the one that is goading me into more comments.

The business of magic is "business": when you inquire about something mechanical and want new methods, you should be glad to get my comments.
Rather than say "gee, I didn't know".

Anyway, I am outta here. You can fend for yourself.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Ian's material is excellent.

But I'm still looking for that South American video.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-10-12 16:15, Woland wrote:
Ian's material is excellent.

But I'm still looking for that South American video.

I only found a young kid with long hair on an amateur stage backdrop.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Any excellent linking rope DVDs? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL